Would two GTX 950 FTWs in SLI perform better than a GTX 1050Ti FTW?

H0R53

My Alienware restoration project has been going well, but the two GTX 550 Tis are still bottlenecking the CPU. I already have a GTX 950 FTW, and it supports SLI.

Unfortunately my motherboard only supports xFire, but the Alienware supports any level of SLI up to 3-way.

Would two GTX 950 FTWs perform better in SLI than a single GTX 1050 Ti FTW? One 950 would definitely be better than the two 550Tis (both together don't even touch my 460), but SLI is a huge selling point.

Please DO NOT SUGGEST AMD PRODUCTS

probably better off with a 1050ti or a 580

The geek himself.

Nah, the 1050Ti would be better, but try for an RX 470 if possible (when they get back into stock)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Being Delirious said:

probably better off with a 1050ti or a 580

The 580's garbage, unless you're talking about AMD.

A used 950 is way cheaper, they're only about $100. I'd rather go that route. I already have a 1050ti FTW but it's in my main PC. This is strictly for the Alienware.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Nah, the 1050Ti would be better, but try for an RX 470 if possible (when they get back into stock)

No, this is an SLI board and I plan to use it. This is my ONLY SLI capable board. Plus I don't have $200+ for the RX 470. I don't use Newegg or PCPP.

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

SLI support on low-end cards are horrid, save up for a gtx 470/570. 

No. Read reply #2.

Just now, H0R53 said:

The 580's garbage, unless you're talking about AMD.

A used 950 is way cheaper, they're only about $100. I'd rather go that route. I already have a 1050ti FTW but it's in my main PC. This is strictly for the Alienware.

No, this is an SLI board and I plan to use it. This is my ONLY SLI capable board. Plus I don't have $200+ for the RX 470. I don't use Newegg or PCPP.

No. Read reply #2.

AMD

The geek himself.

I suppose you can, the performance is about the same.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, H0R53 said:

I don't have $200+ for the RX 470.

rx470 can be cheap as 150$ after rebate, wait for a sale. 

2 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

SLI is generally not ideal at all. Just because a feature exists, doesn't mean you have to, or should, use it.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, H0R53 said:

After rebate

Wait for a sale

This is for a client. Time is of the essence, as always in business.

All the more reason to go with a single card.

SLI is confusing and has problems. When clients ask why their game has microstutter, it's gonna be a PITA

Desktop:

Laptop:

SLI is generally not ideal at all. Just because a feature exists, doesn't mean you have to, or should, use it.

I mean with this system it would be better, and it's what the client wanted anyway.

All the more reason to go with a single card.

SLI is confusing and has problems. When clients ask why their game has microstutter, it's gonna be a PITA

They signed the contract, and they are aware of the problems with SLI. I can't go into much more detail because it's confidential but SLI was part of the deal.

Just now, H0R53 said:

I mean with this system it would be better, and it's what the client wanted anyway.

They signed the contract, and they are aware of the problems with SLI. I can't go into much more detail because it's confidential but SLI was part of the deal.

If SLI was part of the deal, then give them SLI. Problem solved.

Desktop:

Laptop:

If SLI was part of the deal, then give them SLI. Problem solved.

Okay, then let me ask another question. What's the cheapest 3-way SLI card with the best performance? My searching has been futile at best, all of the cards I've seen still are asking for $350+ for just one card.

SLI on budget cards vs a single more powerful card is never a good idea. "The customer is always right" doesn't always apply. I would personally feel bad trying to sell something inferior because the customer was too stubborn for their own good in taking good advice.

8 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

SLI on budget cards vs a single more powerful card is never a good idea. "The customer is always right" doesn't always apply. I would personally feel bad trying to sell something inferior because the customer was too stubborn for their own good in taking good advice.

Alright, I'll try to talk them into something a little better.