H100i V2 plastic buzzing fan noise

Go to solution Solved by Freezoide,

I have the h100i also and had some noise complaints since one of the fans has a certain rattle in it. I've read up about it and discovered this is not very uncommon so tested some stuff out with tightening/loosening the screws, feel if I could minimally bend the outskirts of the noisy fan and eventually used Corsair Link to setup a custom fan profile.

Custom fan profile what? Well although this differentiates a little from time till time, mostly only around 75% to 90% of the fan profile the rattle comes out. So after a certain temp my fan just surpasses that area to avoid any rattling at all.

Ideal solution? Far from it for such a high-end cooler. But for me it works and I can adjust it within a few clicks.

P.S. The problem does not lie in what temps are reached but more likely at how much rpm the fans are spinning. Thus the percentages mentioned above.

Hello people!

Alright, I'm getting straight to the point: One of the fans on my Corsair H100i V2 liquid cooler is making a whole lot of noise, it sounds like as if it would be plastic on plastic action. The problem seems to be occurring more towards the evening since that's when I've had the PC running for a while (but not necessarily always). The noise seem to appear when my CPU's temp is between (roughly) 40-55 Celsius. If the temp goes below 40C or above 55C, the noise goes away... Even when the CPU ramps up to ~65C, there's nothing but the normal noise from a fast fan to be heard. 

I had my last H100i V2 sent back due to it randomly stopped working, BUT also for this exact same reason, I had the same annoying plastic buzzing noise on that one as well! The company I bought it from said they had found the problem, but they never specified what the problem was. I would assume they had just found the reason to why it stopped working. 

I'm not sure what the problem is (obviously, else I wouldn't post this), but I would assume it's either factory faulty, or that I possibly have tightened the screws too much? I felt like I went way easier than on my last product...

If anyone has any ideas on what could cause this problem, please, go ahead and share your knowledge! I would like to hear someone else's thoughts before loosening the screws a bit, or, worst case scenario, having to send it back... again. 

(4:30am in Sweden zZz, thanks in advance!)

doesnt sound like coil whine.

could be a cable in the fan, or maybe its not balanced properly

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

14 minutes ago, Tcjinky said:

Hello people!

Alright, I'm getting straight to the point: One of the fans on my Corsair H100i V2 liquid cooler is making a whole lot of noise, it sounds like as if it would be plastic on plastic action. The problem seems to be occurring more towards the evening since that's when I've had the PC running for a while (but not necessarily always). The noise seem to appear when my CPU's temp is between (roughly) 40-55 Celsius. If the temp goes below 40C or above 55C, the noise goes away... Even when the CPU ramps up to ~65C, there's nothing but the normal noise from a fast fan to be heard. 

I had my last H100i V2 sent back due to it randomly stopped working, BUT also for this exact same reason, I had the same annoying plastic buzzing noise on that one as well! The company I bought it from said they had found the problem, but they never specified what the problem was. I would assume they had just found the reason to why it stopped working. 

I'm not sure what the problem is (obviously, else I wouldn't post this), but I would assume it's either factory faulty, or that I possibly have tightened the screws too much? I felt like I went way easier than on my last product...

If anyone has any ideas on what could cause this problem, please, go ahead and share your knowledge! I would like to hear someone else's thoughts before loosening the screws a bit, or, worst case scenario, having to send it back... again. 

(4:30am in Sweden zZz, thanks in advance!)

I have the same cooler in pc rn. 65C??!!??!!? I barely get 20C! Contact corsair they should send you a new one.

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

I have the h100i also and had some noise complaints since one of the fans has a certain rattle in it. I've read up about it and discovered this is not very uncommon so tested some stuff out with tightening/loosening the screws, feel if I could minimally bend the outskirts of the noisy fan and eventually used Corsair Link to setup a custom fan profile.

Custom fan profile what? Well although this differentiates a little from time till time, mostly only around 75% to 90% of the fan profile the rattle comes out. So after a certain temp my fan just surpasses that area to avoid any rattling at all.

Ideal solution? Far from it for such a high-end cooler. But for me it works and I can adjust it within a few clicks.

P.S. The problem does not lie in what temps are reached but more likely at how much rpm the fans are spinning. Thus the percentages mentioned above.

41 minutes ago, anonvx said:

I have the same cooler in pc rn. 65C??!!??!!? I barely get 20C! Contact corsair they should send you a new one.

He was obviously referencing load temperatures... 65C is fairly typical.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

12 hours ago, Freezoide said:

Hmm... maybe it isn't that hard to set up, but I would rather have a fully working high-end liquid cooler instead of one with this issue. It might even get worse over time, who knows. Is it really not that uncommon of a problem? That's lame... I wouldn't want to send this one back and then get another one with the exact same issue, which technically I have already gotten lol.

22 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

He was obviously referencing load temperatures... 65C is fairly typical.

Well yeah and 20C is my load temp. I have gotten my down to 9C before at standard clock.

Victor F. 

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

12 minutes ago, anonvx said:

Well yeah and 20C is my load temp. I have gotten my down to 9C before at standard clock.

[x] Doubt

[  ] Don't doubt

For a delta T that wouldn't be that bad, but unless you live in an actual freezer, you are not getting 20C temps on the core.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

[x] Doubt

[  ] Don't doubt

For a delta T that wouldn't be that bad, but unless you live in an actual freezer, you are not getting 20C temps on the core.

temp.PNG

Victor F. 

I currently have it overclocked to 4.0 ghz

Victor F. 

5 hours ago, anonvx said:

temp.PNG

Looks like AMD temperature algorithm is at it's finest. Forever a'breakin. I mean come on man, look at your liquid temperature. It's higher than the reported package temp, and that liquid temp is measured AFTER it's been through the radiator...

You dun got bamboozled again

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Guess my near ancient Intel doesn't have the temperature reading prob like the ryzen has hehe

On 2017-6-9 at 5:59 PM, Tcjinky said:

Hmm... maybe it isn't that hard to set up, but I would rather have a fully working high-end liquid cooler instead of one with this issue. It might even get worse over time, who knows. Is it really not that uncommon of a problem? That's lame... I wouldn't want to send this one back and then get another one with the exact same issue, which technically I have already gotten lol.

Definitely understandable and you should get proper silent fans by right but it seems that the margin of error is calculated a bit loose. Even then it's not always failproof.
Reason I customized my fan profile? Just too lazy to keep sending fans back. If I would buy a new cooler again, I'll ask for tripple the amount of fans I need so I can replace and avoid a lenghty irritating back-forth sending process.