Let's discuss X299 & Intel. Are they losing their minds?

This brings me back to the Athlon 64 vs Pentium 4 times... frankly I'm hoping intel will lose a lot of their HEDT consumers on this one here.

Intel's 14/16/18 core processors were definitely not a part of their plan for this generation before AMD's announcement, which shows how bad it is when there's just one 'guy' on the market. Though, I do not believe they will be very relevant as the AMD chips will be significantly cheaper (rumored to be 850$). I could give up 2 cores if I pay 850$ instead of 2000$.

Furthermore, Intel's move on only supporting their own NVMe-ssd's in raid. Wtf? And the even more retarded part of it is that you need to buy a KEY for RAID1/10. And even more if you want RAID5? This has been done on server boards a long time, however you were never limited to manufacturer-specific devices and you always got RAID0/1/10 functions for free, but then pay for stuff like 5/6/50/60. This move by intel is just plain retarded, to be honest.

Then there's the interoperability between the memory sllts, all the different CPU's and PCIe lanes: what a chaos. They are more or less cannibalizing their own consumer segment with this new lineup.

I have an 5960X. In that generation there was also 5930K and 5820K (haswell). Plain simple. So was broadwell: 6800K, 6850K, 6900K, 6950X. Now it's just a chaos, especially with the fact that you have 2 generations being presented at once... there's even now 4 cores with less PCIe lanes than the previous generation.

Anyways, counting on that intel will fail on this completely, get their heads straight and get back to work. This is company-coma all over again.

I love that video, it's pure Linus, very well done. Intel is running around like a headless chicken and it's a great feeling, they were milking us for far too long. I don't care if Intel CPUs are 10% faster, they don't exist for me anymore.

Love, D.Va.

5 hours ago, vrod said:

Furthermore, Intel's move on only supporting their own NVMe-ssd's in raid. Wtf? And the even more retarded part of it is that you need to buy a KEY for RAID1/10. And even more if you want RAID5? This has been done on server boards a long time, however you were never limited to manufacturer-specific devices and you always got RAID0/1/10 functions for free, but then pay for stuff like 5/6/50/60. This move by intel is just plain retarded, to be honest.

In Intel's defense the need for Intel nVME drives for a boot disk could very well be a hardware/OS limitation. VROC is a weird technology and doesn't work the same way as traditional RAID. Afaik RSTe on CPU lanes only works with Intel drives for boot drives too doesn't it, so why would you expect that when they bring it to the consumer market it'll work with any drive?

Likewise while I agree that the high core count CPUs were just a knee-jerk "announce something announce something! They can't have more cores then us! Oh no their CPU numbers are bigger so we need to make ours an i9! We need the bigger epeen!" move, I don't really see how they were caught so off guard. Other than all the bullshit marketing nonsense and cheaper prices this seems like a pretty standard launch for Intel.

Kaby Lake X is actually a move I greatly appreciate personally. I don't know how many times now I've been looking for workstation boards with more workstation/enterprise grade features and been left with the options of going waaaaaaaay up to c series boards and xeons, going up to x series boards and having CPUs not tailored for my workloads, or staying with z series boards and not being able to find the features I need. Not that they're impossible on z series boards, just that nobody seems to make them. To this day there are still a number of workflows where a few really fast cores will cream 8 or 10 slower cores.