Custom Water Loop?

ImElkay
Go to solution Solved by Derangel,

Okay, but if I decided to go with compression fittings it would be better, or equivalent to go with 3/4"?  Also those 2 measurements you see on tubing on Amazon and such, is that just the  measurements of the outer diameter and inner diameter? I'm guessing that's what ID and OD stand for.

The size of the tubing determines the amount of water that flows through it. It really isn't as important these days and especially not for beginners. 7/16th, 1/2, and 3/8ths are the big ones you will see and it is good to stick with one of them.

Correct. With barbs you really only need to worry about the ID but with compression fittings you need to look at both.

I am just now starting to learn about water cooling loops.  I would like to know, could I fit 2 240mm rads, the pump and rez inside the Define R4 from fractal?  I would like to cool my cpu, a gpu, and maybe 2 in the future?  If this is possible, let me know.  If not, any alternatives would be greatly appreciated.  Also if there are certain mobos (or any part) that are better for overclocking please let me know.  Here is my parts list.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ImElkay/saved/2Iw3

I am thinking of getting the 290 or 290x, but I will wait and see if something better comes out better for 1440p (not that either card is bad).

Yap, one in the front one in the roof. You can use a bay res for example or find a spot to put a small rad ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Check out this video

I believe Tom talks about the R4's water cooling options, possibly including rad sizes that can be used.

Yes, that is possible. However,  you will have to remove the drive bays.

Okay awesome.  Even the very bottom cage?

Check out this video

I believe Tom talks about the R4's water cooling options, possibly including rad sizes that can be used.

Thanks for the vid!

Yap, one in the front one in the roof. You can use a bay res for example or find a spot to put a small rad ^^

Great.  What about the sli option?  Is that viable?  I will also be using a soundcard with my mobo.  If you didn't see the parts list it is the Gigabyte Z87x UD3h.

Great.  What about the sli option?  Is that viable?  I will also be using a soundcard with my mobo.  If you didn't see the parts list it is the Gigabyte Z87x UD3h.

Easily. A good pump will easily handle two 240rads, a CPU block, and two GPU blocks.

Easily. A good pump will easily handle two 240rads, a CPU block, and two GPU blocks.

Fantastic.  What's a good cpu block for maybe like 75 dollars?

Fantastic.  What's a good cpu block for maybe like 75 dollars?

Most modern blocks are good. The difference between the best and the "worst" is at most a few degrees. Go for what you think looks the best. I like XSPC blocks, but EK, Koolance, and Swiftech all have good CPU blocks. The Heatkiller block is really good as well. My current loop has a Heatkiller block in it.

Most modern blocks are good. The difference between the best and the "worst" is at most a few degrees. Go for what you think looks the best. I like XSPC blocks, but EK, Koolance, and Swiftech all have good CPU blocks. The Heatkiller block is really good as well. My current loop has a Heatkiller block in it.

Thanks a lot for you help.  Do you recommend barb fittings and tube clamps, or just to go ahead and get compression fittings?

Thanks a lot for you help.  Do you recommend barb fittings and tube clamps, or just to go ahead and get compression fittings?

Go with what you think looks the best there too. If you go with barbs I recommend getting 1/2" barbs and 7/16th" tubing. The tubing will fit super tight on the barbs and create a very good seal, helping prevent leaks. That is what I do since I really don't feel like throwing down $100+ on compression fittings and then buying new tubing.

To pre-empt the question: With tubing be careful what you buy. You want stuff that people say does not kink easily. Tygon tubing is probably the best, but it is expensive. I use Primochill tubing in my loop currently as I like their red tubing. I bought my tubing from a seller on Amazon.

Go with what you think looks the best there too. If you go with barbs I recommend getting 1/2" barbs and 7/16th" tubing. The tubing will fit super tight on the barbs and create a very good seal, helping prevent leaks. That is what I do since I really don't feel like throwing down $100+ on compression fittings and then buying new tubing.

To pre-empt the question: With tubing be careful what you buy. You want stuff that people say does not kink easily. Tygon tubing is probably the best, but it is expensive. I use Primochill tubing in my loop currently as I like their red tubing. I bought my tubing from a seller on Amazon.

Okay, but if I decided to go with compression fittings it would be better, or equivalent to go with 3/4"?  Also those 2 measurements you see on tubing on Amazon and such, is that just the  measurements of the outer diameter and inner diameter? I'm guessing that's what ID and OD stand for.

The size of the tubing determines the amount of water that flows through it. It really isn't as important these days and especially not for beginners. 7/16th, 1/2, and 3/8ths are the big ones you will see and it is good to stick with one of them.

Correct. With barbs you really only need to worry about the ID but with compression fittings you need to look at both.

I assume that is because compression fittings need to tighten down a certain amount and if the tubing is to thick, it can't do that.  Thanks a ton.  You have been a HUGE help.