Upgrade for 880GMA-E55 mobo

I'm planning to get a new gaming system for one of my friends.
I was  planning on building a new G4560+B250+GTX1050 for him, but he brought me his old system and it seems like it has some usable stuff in it.
Do you guys think that I sould keep the 880GMA-E55, or get a new mobo with the G4560? (There was a AMD Athlon II X2 250e in the mobo, i don't think I'll ever use that.)
If i should keep it, what AMD CPU would you recomend to pair with the mobo and a GTX 1050?

Btw, I don't really know anything about these old AMD sockets and CPUs, if someone feels like it, I'd appreciate some basic education on those :D:)

That socket is ancient like from at least 2005

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

For the performance alone, it's not really worth it.

it perform less, and use more power.

Just sell that motherboard.

lmao i have an amd 760k and a88x mobo lying around still, where do you live?

20 minutes ago, JeyTee84 said:

I was  planning on building a new G4560+B250+GTX1050 for him, but he brought me his old system and it seems like it has some usable stuff in it.
Do you guys think that I sould keep the 880GMA-E55, or get a new mobo with the G4560? (There was a AMD Athlon II X2 250e in the mobo, i don't think I'll ever use that.)
If i should keep it, what AMD CPU would you recomend to pair with the mobo and a GTX 1050?

AMD Phenom II (that is what that boards supports max what MSI says,that board has USB 3.0! Im Shocked! And Also DDR3 and SATA 3,I have a confident feeling that that is a AM2+ or better motherboard)

17 minutes ago, JeyTee84 said:

Btw, I don't really know anything about these old AMD sockets and CPUs, if someone feels like it, I'd appreciate some basic education on those :D:)

Tell the sockets,ill tell the age,I think atleast 2008/2009 or later since that board has flying features and that  CPU is AM2+ or AM3 compatible,that CPU is from late (or mid i guess) 2010

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

27 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

For the performance alone, it's not really worth it.

it perform less, and use more power.

Just sell that motherboard.

That is a very nice board,DDR3,SATA 6 Gbp/s,HDMI v.13 (old but for this old of a board,very good) ,and probably even RAID which supports upto a AMD Phenom II and you can unlock a Phenom II 960T to a 6 Core (thats what MSI tested)

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

4 minutes ago, JeyTee84 said:

AM3 is an old socket type thats pretty much obsolete.  That 880 chipset came out in like 2010 I think.  You have zero upgrade paths beyond hardware thats already 5-10 years old.  I would go with the g4560 b250 combo you mentioned.  At the very least, you want a b250 or h270 chipset (z270 if you want OC capability) motherboard.  This leaves you a lot more options for future upgrades (like maybe a 7th gen i5 or i7), as this hardware will remain viable for at least a few more years, probably longer.  Keep in mind you'll need new DDR4 memory with this upgrade.    

Just now, Gaurav S Rao said:

and probably even RAID

It indeed does have RAID

3 minutes ago, Ctown0812 said:

AM3 is an old socket type thats pretty much obsolete.  That 880 chipset came out in like 2010 I think.  You have zero upgrade paths beyond hardware thats already 5-10 years old.  I would go with the g4560 b250 combo you mentioned.  At the very least, you want a b250 or h270 chipset (z270 if you want OC capability) motherboard.  This leaves you a lot more options for future upgrades (like maybe a 7th gen i5 or i7), as this hardware will remain viable for at least a few more years, probably longer.  Keep in mind you'll need new DDR4 memory with this upgrade.    

If I was him, and am building a new rig,I would rather use that old board for a RAID server,or multimedia system since the sell value won't be high,while the actual value might be high,and a AMD Phenom II can still game really well,and they are scattered all around ebay and CeX,I'd rather upgrade it and use it since it has got features which are still very usable

and pair it will like a 1050 and you're good,and that AMD Phenom II (960T,what MSI says in their descriptions for that board) x4 can be unlocked to be 6 core.Sure It doesn't have,get a SATA III SSD,It has SATA 6 GBP/s.USB 3.0 is there so No Problem.a GTX 1050 is still good choice for PCIe 2.0,if thats a problem,get a GTX 750 from CeX for $45 and a Phenom II x4 for around $30 on CeX,and a GTX 750 2 GB for $45,or a Phenom II x6 for $68 (not really good choice then) . $75 or $100 spent good rather than paying a awful $450 or more for that G4560 System,try keeping old stuff alive for as long as possible,definately that old motherboard and buy new stuff when the old is obsolete or dies

Most AMD Board comes with RAID since socket 7

idk why are anyone surprised, RAID is an old technology

Also AM3 released in 2009, not 2005, USB 3 2008, Sata III is 2009

This board is definitely not a budget board when it was released, it's fully package with every input/output.

Unfortunately, time has move on, even the best AM3 processor is no longer competitive today, although it's probably better than Bulldozer in general.

35 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

If I was him, and am building a new rig,I would rather use that old board for a RAID server,or multimedia system since the sell value won't be high,while the actual value might be high,and a AMD Phenom II can still game really well,and they are scattered all around ebay and CeX,I'd rather upgrade it and use it since it has got features which are still very usable

and pair it will like a 1050 and you're good,and that AMD Phenom II (960T,what MSI says in their descriptions for that board) x4 can be unlocked to be 6 core.Sure It doesn't have,get a SATA III SSD,It has SATA 6 GBP/s.USB 3.0 is there so No Problem.a GTX 1050 is still good choice for PCIe 2.0,if thats a problem,get a GTX 750 from CeX for $45 and a Phenom II x4 for around $30 on CeX,and a GTX 750 2 GB for $45,or a Phenom II x6 for $68 (not really good choice then) . $75 or $100 spent good rather than paying a awful $450 or more for that G4560 System,try keeping old stuff alive for as long as possible,definately that old motherboard and buy new stuff when the old is obsolete or dies

I think you're suggesting that he buys a Phenom II for the board his friend has now?  It's already obsolete.  Lets say he does spend $100 to upgrade what he already has.  How long will that last him? a year or two at most, depending on what games?  at that point he'd have to buy a whole new system  anyways, because he has literally no way to upgrade.  better to buy the new system now and save that $75-$100 for more RAM or a better CPU down the road.  Buying old hardware for obsolete platforms is a waste of money compared to buying incremental upgrades on a newer platform.  

The newer platform will also be a better overall computer experience.  Newer mobos have all new features like USB 3.1 gen1&2, M.2 support, RGB Headers, just to name a few.  

29 minutes ago, Ctown0812 said:

I think you're suggesting that he buys a Phenom II for the board his friend has now?  It's already obsolete.  Lets say he does spend $100 to upgrade what he already has.  How long will that last him? a year or two at most, depending on what games?  at that point he'd have to buy a whole new system  anyways, because he has literally no way to upgrade.  better to buy the new system now and save that $75-$100 for more RAM or a better CPU down the road.  Buying old hardware for obsolete platforms is a waste of money compared to buying incremental upgrades on a newer platform.  

The newer platform will also be a better overall computer experience.  Newer mobos have all new features like USB 3.1 gen1&2, M.2 support, RGB Headers, just to name a few.  

Even if that is not so capable,why not use it as a file server,secondary pc,etc even with that athlon x2,and if it is capable,why not use it untill it lasts,then probablygood new new gen stuff will be cheaper (like 8th or 9th gen stuff and probably even quad cores will be cheaper and good to game,yes games will become demanding but will be atleast able to play at high resolution,good use of this hardware and good money save,then either sell it off or use it for experiments of for stuff u dont care failing,etc

21 hours ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Even if that is not so capable,why not use it as a file server,secondary pc,etc even with that athlon x2,and if it is capable,why not use it untill it lasts,then probablygood new new gen stuff will be cheaper (like 8th or 9th gen stuff and probably even quad cores will be cheaper and good to game,yes games will become demanding but will be atleast able to play at high resolution,good use of this hardware and good money save,then either sell it off or use it for experiments of for stuff u dont care failing,etc

Yeah I plan that. Probably gona rebuild it with a touchscreen monitor in our shop. It'll be great for basic tasks :)