i7 7700k Overclocking with an air cooler?

So I have an i7 7700k CPU, no overclocking just the native 4.2 Ghz clock speed. The cooler is relatively cheap, but it works well with these clock speeds. (hyper 212 evo). Is overclocking safe with this air cooler or would I have to upgrade the cooler to liquid cooling or a more expensive air cooler? I don't have a target for overclocking but this CPU can stabilise at 5.0 Ghz 

What are the temps?

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

What are the temps?

I get pretty decent temps on the current cooler I have, I haven't stress test but in CPU intensive games like Ghost Recon I'll get like 65 - 75, ish. Varies. 

3 minutes ago, Rcarvalho21 said:

I get pretty decent temps on the current cooler I have, I haven't stress test but in CPU intensive games like Ghost Recon I'll get like 65 - 75, ish. Varies. 

That is going to increase exponentially when you oc. Run Aida64 extreme for a base line then try 4.4GHz and go again. Be aware a common issue with this CPU is the TIM application between the die and IHS being inadequate, you can gain 20 degrees on average and up to 30 by delidding and replacing with liquid metal.

EDIT: Obligatory warning that if not delidded properly you can damage the CPU irreparably, do not use a sharp knife you will likely harm it or yourself, if you seriously persue delidding it is plenty safe enough if you purchase a delidding tool.

Can get a mild OC on air as is, but would be good to de-lid if you can as it will decrease temps massively (Get a tool if doing so).                                    

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5