Asus unveils 8 core ryzen notebook with RX 580 4GB GPU

Mr_Troll
39 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Im yet to hit 4GB on my 480 which is clocked the same as an overclocked 580

How did you manage that, did you flash it to a 580?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Shame about the GPU clock speed and the GPU TDP, same again for the CPU, but you can only expect so much out of a laptop I have to guess. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

Shame about the GPU clock speed and the GPU TDP, same again for the CPU, but you can only expect so much out of a laptop I have to guess. 

what you talking about, it's a desktop class 1700, at stock speeds, there is no issues with it, as for the 580, it's hard to say what it's clock speeds etc. are for the 580, yes they do look lower than normal, but it still boosts to over 1.2GHz so isn't a major problem there

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

I think that this is not meant to compete with the mobile quad cores(7700HQ, 7820HK) but rather with laptops that have 7700Ks.  So yes, a desktop chip will cream a mobile one, but how will it stand up to a laptop with a 7700K and a 1070?

27 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I'd like to see anyone try to cram an Intel 8-core into a laptop. Good luck. A win for AMD and ASUS here as they have provided a laptop that's unmatched in its power for video editing and other workloads "on the go" (because well it's still probably really big). It's a new market niche if you ask me

I do KeyShot rendering of furniture design. Currently on a MacBook Pro 15". KeyShot can't do GPU rendering so it's stuck on my 8 threads of which I have 1 "disabled" (aka not running at 100% because otherwise everything in the system grinds to a halt). I'd love to take this computer with the RX580 in it as well as the 120Hz panel so I have a really powerful workstation as well as a great gaming machine when put on a desk connected to the wall.

But 17" is a bit too big for my liking. I'd take a 15" over 17" (( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)) any day even if it meant getting a 6-core Ryzen 5 CPU instead of an 8-core Ryzen 7. Unless we can have an 8-core in a 15" notebook, then I'd be really happy.

Come on Asus. Do it. Work your magic.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I do KeyShot rendering of furniture design. Currently on a MacBook Pro 15". KeyShot can't do GPU rendering so it's stuck on my 8 threads of which I have 1 "disabled" (aka not running at 100% because otherwise everything in the system grinds to a halt). I'd love to take this computer with the RX580 in it as well as the 120Hz panel so I have a really powerful workstation as well as a great gaming machine when put on a desk connected to the wall.

But 17" is a bit too big for my liking. I'd take a 15" over 17" (( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)) any day even if it meant getting a 6-core Ryzen 5 CPU instead of an 8-core Ryzen 7. Unless we can have an 8-core in a 15" notebook, then I'd be really happy.

this is just the first one of these 8 core laptops so a 15" 8 core laptop might be possible, it's hard to say though due to this being the first one we are hearing about

And more, several more

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

I think that this is not meant to compete with the mobile quad cores(7700HQ, 7820HK) but rather with laptops that have 7700Ks.  So yes, a desktop chip will cream a mobile one, but how will it stand up to a laptop with a 7700K and a 1070?

In single threaded stuff it'll lose to the 7700K obviously, and in games that 1070 will be waaaay faster.

But throw multi-threaded work at a 1700 and it'll eat 7700Ks for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert. The RX580 at idle use is really, really, really efficient (and it's a laptop chip so it's binned and more aggressively undervolted) at idle and hey, if Asus says 75W TDP they can keep it cool too.

Ye ole' train

Just now, grimreeper132 said:

what you talking about, it's a desktop class 1700, at stock speeds, there is no issues with it, as for the 580, it's hard to say what it's clock speeds etc. are for the 580, yes they do look lower than normal, but it still boosts to over 1.2GHz so isn't a major problem there

And at stock speeds the R7 1700 is lack luster, there is only so far 8 cores will get you when it has to balance how many cores can boost, Most of the gains from Ryzen at those 4GHz speeds and higher memory speeds, I'm not so sure it'll be as good as people expect, it is still nice to have the option, I'd have loved to have seen an overclockable version, obviously that kills power and thermals though. 

Yours faithfully

7 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

It has a 1080p display, so it won't be a big issue.

I'm still rocking a 7770 and 1GB gddr5 :) 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

And at stock speeds the R7 1700 is lack luster, there is only so far 8 cores will get you when it has to balance how many cores can boost, Most of the gains from Ryzen at those 4GHz speeds and higher memory speeds, I'm not so sure it'll be as good as people expect, it is still nice to have the option, I'd have loved to have seen an overclockable version, obviously that kills power and thermals though. 

as Lots of unexplainable lag points out below this laptop might not be the fastest in single threaded tasks but it will eat any other laptop for breakfast in any multi threaded tasks

2 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

In single threaded stuff it'll lose to the 7700K obviously, and in games that 1070 will be waaaay faster.

But throw multi-threaded work at a 1700 and it'll eat 7700Ks for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert. The RX580 at idle use is really, really, really efficient (and it's a laptop chip so it's binned and more aggressively undervolted) at idle and hey, if Asus says 75W TDP they can keep it cool too.

And more, several more

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

And you know what, that RX 580 is probably on an MXM card so if you can find an MXM GTX 1080, you'll consume a bit more power but have a beast of a gaming laptop in there (but no Freesync). Or a Vega equivalent. But yeah. A lot of people would love to have workstation-level performance like this on a laptop that's not one of those stupid 17 pounders.

But good luck putting MacOS in there.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Wait ASUS says 75W for the RX 580? That must mean it's downclocked and running at like 1200MHz probably. But it's good that it's a 580 since it's on the more refined process (Polaris 20 is like the Kaby Lake to P10's Skylake)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

And you know what, that RX 580 is probably on an MXM card so if you can find an MXM GTX 1080, you'll consume a bit more power but have a beast of a gaming laptop in there (but no Freesync). Or a Vega equivalent. But yeah. A lot of people would love to have workstation-level performance like this on a laptop that's not one of those stupid 17 pounders.

putting a 1080 in one of these things sounds like a great idea. might not work thermal wise, but it sounds like a great idea

And more, several more

as Lots of unexplainable lag points out below this laptop might not be the fastest in single threaded tasks but it will eat any other laptop for breakfast in any multi threaded tasks

Yeah, this laptop will definitely be a beast for video editing and streaming on the go, I'd say an overclock-able board would have been the cherry on top that makes this laptop hands down a beast, even if you'd only be able to push it to 3.7GHz for all cores, that'd be fucking beastly. I'm sure this being ROG as well, you can overclock the graphic cards a bit too, I got an extra 50MHz from my old GTX 860m (Maxwell) card. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, this laptop will definitely be a beast for video editing and streaming on the go, I'd say an overclock-able board would have been the cherry on top that makes this laptop hands down a beast, even if you'd only be able to push it to 3.7GHz for all cores, that'd be fucking beastly. I'm sure this being ROG as well, you can overclock the graphic cards a bit too, I got an extra 50MHz from my old GTX 860m (Maxwell) card. 

aye I wouldn't say you couldn't overclock this laptop as you might be able to, you never know, and if you can you might be able to push it to quite a respectable overclock, maybe.

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Wait ASUS says 75W for the RX 580? That must mean it's downclocked and running at like 1200MHz probably. But it's good that it's a 580 since it's on the more refined process (Polaris 20 is like the Kaby Lake to P10's Skylake)

it's got a boost of over 1200MHz  that's all the info I could see on clock speeds

And more, several more

aye I wouldn't say you couldn't overclock this laptop as you might be able to, you never know, and if you can you might be able to push it to quite a respectable overclock, maybe.

I think they'd advertise that feature much more but maybe they thought ahead and it's possible, That's make this a pocket rocket. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

I think they'd advertise that feature much more but maybe they thought ahead and it's possible, That's make this a pocket rocket. 

oh I doubt it's the case but you never know

And more, several more

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

MXM? Doubt it. That drives up the cost a lot.

9 minutes ago, Energycore said:

5 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

it's got a boost of over 1200MHz  that's all the info I could see on clock speeds

Make that 65W:

30033758473l.jpg

So clocks are up in the air, but with the better silicon it's definitely possible to see ~1.2GHz. AdoredTV got an RX580 down to 890 mV at RX480 stock clocks (1256 MHz) getting a total of ~70W of power draw (I know TDP =/= power draw). Combine that with the higher binning here and it's definitely possible.

Ye ole' train

Straight from the Asus product website:

"The top configuration comes with a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU based on the exact same silicon as current desktop parts. Variants of the laptop will also be available with the six-core Ryzen 5 1600 and the quad-core Ryzen 3 1200. Overclocking isn’t supported, though."

So Ryzen 5 CPUs will be available, just none of them will OC. Fair enough, considering Asus still has to cool these suckers in a notebook form factor.

"Ryzen doesn’t waste valuable die area on middling integrated graphics, so we’ve used a discrete solution. AMD’s Radeon RX 580 GPU rides shotgun alongside up to 8GB of dedicated GDDR5 video memory to complete The Red Team duo. There’s enough pixel-pushing muscle to handle the latest games and VR experiences.

The 17.3” display is available in multiple configurations, including a 4K derivative that tops out at 60Hz, plus 1080p variants at 75Hz and 120Hz. The high-resolution option is great for content creators and gamers who play less demanding titles, while the high-refresh alternative is ideal for action-packed shooters and fast-paced play. All of them support AMD’s FreeSync tech, which synchronizes the display’s refresh rate with the GPU’s frame rate to minimize stuttering that can compromise smooth gameplay. In addition to compensating for performance wrinkles, FreeSync lowers input lag and eliminates visual tearing, resulting in fewer disruptions to your sense of immersion."

Already known.

Sauce: https://rog.asus.com/articles/g-series-gaming-laptops/ryzen-comes-to-gaming-laptops-in-the-rog-strix-gl702zc/

@Mr_Troll wanna put this in the OP as well?

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Straight from the Asus product website:

"The top configuration comes with a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU based on the exact same silicon as current desktop parts. Variants of the laptop will also be available with the six-core Ryzen 5 1600 and the quad-core Ryzen 3 1200. Overclocking isn’t supported, though."

So Ryzen 5 CPUs will be available, just none of them will OC. Fair enough, considering Asus still has to cool these suckers in a notebook form factor.

"Ryzen doesn’t waste valuable die area on middling integrated graphics, so we’ve used a discrete solution. AMD’s Radeon RX 580 GPU rides shotgun alongside up to 8GB of dedicated GDDR5 video memory to complete The Red Team duo. There’s enough pixel-pushing muscle to handle the latest games and VR experiences.

The 17.3” display is available in multiple configurations, including a 4K derivative that tops out at 60Hz, plus 1080p variants at 75Hz and 120Hz. The high-resolution option is great for content creators and gamers who play less demanding titles, while the high-refresh alternative is ideal for action-packed shooters and fast-paced play. All of them support AMD’s FreeSync tech, which synchronizes the display’s refresh rate with the GPU’s frame rate to minimize stuttering that can compromise smooth gameplay. In addition to compensating for performance wrinkles, FreeSync lowers input lag and eliminates visual tearing, resulting in fewer disruptions to your sense of immersion."

ok right this looks great if there's choices for this laptop in both CPUs, and to a point GPUs, as well as screens. I like the look of this machine

And more, several more

11 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

ok right this looks great if there's choices for this laptop in both CPUs, and to a point GPUs, as well as screens. I like the look of this machine

Yup. Configure it up to your needs.

I was going to get a desktop Ryzen system but this starts to look really appealing...

Ye ole' train

Yup. Configure it up to your needs.

I was going to get a desktop Ryzen system but this starts to look really appealing...

yea only thing it's missing is a better graphics card than a 580. But flavours with that will come soon I would imagine

And more, several more

2 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

yea only thing it's missing is a better graphics card than a 580. But flavours with that will come soon I would imagine

Honestly, with 1080p120 FreeSync, you don't really need more than a 580 at this point. At 4K gaming sure, but who buys a laptop to do just that...

Ye ole' train

Honestly, with 1080p120 FreeSync, you don't really need more than a 580 at this point. At 4K gaming sure, but who buys a laptop to do just that...

I would probably end up running 1 or 2 screens off this thing so a better GPU might be needed for me

And more, several more

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

just noticed this is a STIX laptop, meaning it's ASUS's mid-range gaming laptop (I am looking at a website that pointed that out to me) So there might be an even better more powerful AMD R7 1700 laptop coming out soon

And more, several more