3D rendering + gaming rig - Need advice

Clauricaune

Hello! So, I have a friend who is trasitioning from a Mac to a PC and asked me to suggest him some components for a rig that's capable of both decent 3D rendering and gaming. I don't know much about 3D rendering, so I thought I'd ask you fine folks about this,

He uses mostly Vray and Maxwell. I guess I should discard a Quadro as he also wants to game, but what would be better: a GTX 780 Ti or a Titan? I know the 780 Ti has a couple hundred more CUDA cores than the Titan, but the Titan has double the VRAM, so I'm not sure which one would be preferable. Or maybe SLI 780s?

I also hear that a 3930k is a good CPU for rendering. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

I7 for sure if he wants to render. 

As for the GPU i would say a 780ti is perfectly fine for both.

I will leave it up to some other forum members to suggest a full build for you :P

whats your budget?

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Not sure about the budget, but I don't think that's a problem for him.

Not sure about the budget, but I don't think that's a problem for him.

just most people like to have a budget in mind when building a full spec for you.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

The something similar to the components in this video... Except a 780ti instead of the Quadro and 780.

This would be my best guess for specs he would want http://pcpartpicker.com/p/25JmF but without a price range it's hard to figure out exactly what you should buy.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

just most people like to have a budget in mind when building a full spec for you.

Then let's say $2,500-3,000.

Question: would SLI 780 Tis make a difference VRAM-wise when rendering? Read somewhere that it would still use only 3Gbs of VRAM even with SLI, is that true?

Question: would SLI 780 Tis make a difference VRAM-wise when rendering? Read somewhere that it would still use only 3Gbs of VRAM even with SLI, is that true?

When you SLI cards, you don't get more RAM because as I understand it, each card needs to store the same information in it's memory.  So at any one time, both cards have the same information in their memory.  You would only have 3GB of VRAM with SLI 780Tis

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

4930K not the 3930K. 780Ti, unless he is at 4K Titan is useless. Always try to go for a stronger single card than two weaker ones. He would always make a Hackintosh if he wants to remain on the OSX environment. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Wouldn't a 780, 780 Ti, Titan (High end of the line) be pretty good for render/gaming due to cuda? I mean not the pro cards. Pretty high end too (value?). Still, AMD is still a rival to cuda!

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Hello! So, I have a friend who is trasitioning from a Mac to a PC and asked me to suggest him some components for a rig that's capable of both decent 3D rendering and gaming. I don't know much about 3D rendering, so I thought I'd ask you fine folks about this,

He uses mostly Vray and Maxwell. I guess I should discard a Quadro as he also wants to game, but what would be better: a GTX 780 Ti or a Titan? I know the 780 Ti has a couple hundred more CUDA cores than the Titan, but the Titan has double the VRAM, so I'm not sure which one would be preferable. Or maybe SLI 780s?

I also hear that a 3930k is a good CPU for rendering. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Go with the TITAN the 6GB Vram is way more important then the 200 more Cuda Cores.

6GB is really a must if you want to do high detail models.

3GB vram on the GTX780 ti will limit your 3D rendering drasticly!!!

And don't go with Quadro Cards they aren't really good for 3D rendering/modeling they have not enough CUDA cores the only good Quadro is the K6000 and it costs $5000.

RTX2070OC