CMD window popping up and disappearing randomly

Hey! so, I've been having some strange goings-on lately with my main PC, it's running Windows 10 64 bit and I have auto update enabled so my PC is automatically on the latest version. 

What's been happening recently is I've been having the command prompt window popping up and disappearing for split seconds at a time, it was a mild inconvenience at first and didn't really affect the PC much if at all but now it's getting to the point where my games are automatically minimizing without warning (they stay running, but I get plonked on the desktop with no context). 

I know this command prompt thing is somewhat associated with Microsoft Office, and I got a long enough look at the command prompt window to see the file name that runs it but I can't for the life of me remember what the hell it was called, I'll update if/when I remember but right now I just need a way to stop it from crashing my stuff without warning... 

Thanks in advance,

Any help is appreciated,

Dylan. 

1 minute ago, Dylanc431 said:

Hey! so, I've been having some strange goings-on lately with my main PC, it's running Windows 10 64 bit and I have auto update enabled so my PC is automatically on the latest version. 

What's been happening recently is I've been having the command prompt window popping up and disappearing for split seconds at a time, it was a mild inconvenience at first and didn't really affect the PC much if at all but now it's getting to the point where my games are automatically minimizing without warning (they stay running, but I get plonked on the desktop with no context). 

I know this command prompt thing is somewhat associated with Microsoft Office, and I got a long enough look at the command prompt window to see the file name that runs it but I can't for the life of me remember what the hell it was called, I'll update if/when I remember but right now I just need a way to stop it from crashing my stuff without warning... 

Thanks in advance,

Any help is appreciated,

Dylan. 

me too

i checked auto-starting, services and task scheduler but i can find nothing

3 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

me too

i checked auto-starting, services and task scheduler but i can find nothing

Yeah, I would have thought it's a scheduled task but I guess not, nowhere to be found in services either  

8 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

Borderless mode is an easy way to temporary fix it :P

2 minutes ago, pandoro said:

Borderless mode is an easy way to temporary fix it :P

yea already did this but is temporarily we are looking for a fix

5 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

yea already did this but is temporarily we are looking for a fix

exactly, I want this problem solved, not duck taped and WD40'd back into working order :P 

It is almost definitely an application - when an application is being developed, a common way to do background tasks is to have a separate 'console application' and hit it with a timer. Poor design practice, but it is done.

Run (ctrl-R) MSconfig - disable non windows and obvious startup programs - then reboot. If this does it, then it is just a search to figure out what application it is. 

4 minutes ago, Cdpopham said:

It is almost definitely an application - when an application is being developed, a common way to do background tasks is to have a separate 'console application' and hit it with a timer. Poor design practice, but it is done.

Run (ctrl-R) MSconfig - disable non windows and obvious startup programs - then reboot. If this does it, then it is just a search to figure out what application it is. 

theres nothing in the task scheduler, autostarting or services that isnt from a trustful source etc intel or nvidea

So I finally created an account lol, because of this particular issue. I haven't been able to find what's causing it other than I'm really sure it's an office or windows problem, maybe an update or something introduced in the last 2 weeks.

I'm not the only one having this issue either, 2 of my friends are having the same exact problem. I got it on two of my PCs (one is an MSI GS70 notebook) and we don't share anything at all in terms of software except for onedrive/onenote/windows itself and the obvious programs like steam, discord, photoshop and stuff, we all got it in the last 2 - 3 days, so I doubt it's something one of us in particular did (plus we usually don't even need to share files between us at all so no contagion there). I'm guessing it was introduced through an automatic update from windows itself, maybe?

Event Logger seems clean, other than a full plethora of error logs from Bing's Weather app ( "Activation of app Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: This app does not support the contract specified or is not installed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.") which I uninstalled now, so I'll see how that goes.

But other than that, I don't seem to find any scheduler running (other than nvidia's/chrome/office stuff), no weird services, nothing at all. I do believe this has to do with either Office or One Note, as you said @Dylanc431, but man I want to burn the thing down, it's becoming quite annoying by now, specially minimizing my full screen games without warning

2 hours ago, HarZens said:

So I finally created an account lol, because of this particular issue. I haven't been able to find what's causing it other than I'm really sure it's an office or windows problem, maybe an update or something introduced in the last 2 weeks.

I'm not the only one having this issue either, 2 of my friends are having the same exact problem. I got it on two of my PCs (one is an MSI GS70 notebook) and we don't share anything at all in terms of software except for onedrive/onenote/windows itself and the obvious programs like steam, discord, photoshop and stuff, we all got it in the last 2 - 3 days, so I doubt it's something one of us in particular did (plus we usually don't even need to share files between us at all so no contagion there). I'm guessing it was introduced through an automatic update from windows itself, maybe?

Event Logger seems clean, other than a full plethora of error logs from Bing's Weather app ( "Activation of app Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: This app does not support the contract specified or is not installed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.") which I uninstalled now, so I'll see how that goes.

But other than that, I don't seem to find any scheduler running (other than nvidia's/chrome/office stuff), no weird services, nothing at all. I do believe this has to do with either Office or One Note, as you said @Dylanc431, but man I want to burn the thing down, it's becoming quite annoying by now, specially minimizing my full screen games without warning

Meet too

When I play witcher 3 it closes the window as well so I have to play from the lat save

Guys I may have found a solution I've updated to the creators update and I have never seen it since so it might have been fixed

But its only been a couple hours so am not sure

12 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

Guys I may have found a solution I've updated to the creators update and I have never seen it since so it might have been fixed

But its only been a couple hours so am not sure

I'm already on the creator update and still having the same pop up problem.

Just now, Mucanius said:

I'm already on the creator update and still having the same pop up problem.

found solution the solution

Looking around under Task Scheduler, I found the item that runs it.

Look under Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Office, and you'll notice you have the following services:

•  OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerLogon
  • OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration

Both of those, you can right-click and pick Disable.

Office suits seems to continue to work despite those things disabled. Mind you I have not tried every single feature of every Office programs to know the impact, by it seems to not affect anything crucial.

Hope this helps!

18 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

found solution the solution

Thank you! I hope this helps.

Just now, Mucanius said:

Thank you! I hope this helps.

it worked for others

it was the new update of the ms office that caused this

On 5/28/2017 at 7:37 AM, Ethocreeper said:

it worked for others

it was the new update of the ms office that caused this

I'll give it a test when I get home, thanks for the idea. I am already on the creators update so yeah.

But I think it stopped when I closed OneNote on my other PC for a while, so it might have had something to do with that as well and its integration with office.

1 minute ago, HarZens said:

I am already on the creators update so yeah.

it has nothing to do with windows its an ms office program

20 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

it has nothing to do with windows its an ms office program

No, i know, I meant to say that I already had Creators Update so that wasn't the issue, but that I was going to test the office scheduled tasks next

A fix is on its way. It was indeed an issue introduced with an Office update.

Strangely enough (or not so much when you think about it) this was noticed by people on the fast-ring updated back in April...shouldn't have happened to be honest but oh well, MS.