Thoughts on Black/White Ultrawide Gaming Rig

Here is the part list so far! 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  (£425.94 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£119.97 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£149.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£135.80 @ Alza) 
Storage: Plextor - M5P Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£144.00) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£58.74 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  (£646.82 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.99 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£141.52 @ More Computers) 
Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 60Hz Monitor  (£599.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 60Hz Monitor  (£599.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £3102.73 (3974.29 USD)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-27 03:30 BST+0100

Would love to hear thoughts on anything from parts I should switch out to maybe a part that better fits the colour scheme I want to go for! 

This is by no way finished and am open to any suggestions! 

P.S. The aim is to play any current game in Ultrawide 3440x1440, and the upgrade is because I'm moving soon and want to sell my current PC, buy a laptop and a desktop for where I'm moving to! (since there is going to be a lot of back and fourth between USA and UK) 

Thanks for any feedback you can give me :)

Is there any reason for the two monitors? I'd rather get one nice 3440x1440 monitor with G-Sync and a higher refresh rate (ASUS PG348Q or the Acer X34).

You can also save a large chunk of money by getting the R7 1700 and overclocking it.

But firstly, what do you intend to use this build for?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

When do you think you will be buying the parts? You could wait for vega?

Not for another month or so, I move over mid-late July, I'll have a look at it coz I might just do that! 

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Is there any reason for the two monitors? I'd rather get one nice 3440x1440 monitor with G-Sync and a higher refresh rate (ASUS PG348Q or the Acer X34).

You can also save a large chunk of money by getting the R7 1700 and overclocking it.

But firstly, what do you intend to use this build for?

I've just always had 2 monitors, I use them like its MEANT for a computer to have 2, its a part of me :( but I get your point I'm probably just being stupid about it. 

I'm pretty new when it comes to overclocking, at the moment I have an i7 6800k with a 25 Pound coolermaster fan on it.. Not entirely sure how I would go about doing that but it sounds like its worth a try! 

And I'm using this for Ultra-high gaming, and then general word/powerpoint use on the side.

I like the idea about overclocking the R7! Genius!

3 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

I would A: Wait for VEGA, and B) get a 1700/1700X and overclock.

Damn! Seems like this VEGA thing is gonna be good... had my eye on the 1080ti for a while now! Has anything been said about when it will be released? Or should I just play the waiting game..

Just now, Bembi said:

Damn! Seems like this VEGA thing is gonna be good... had my eye on the 1080ti for a while now! Has anything been said about when it will be released? Or should I just play the waiting game..

No one knows for sure how it will perform. That is still up in the air. It has been promised to be released in Q2 meaning they would have until the end of June to release it.

Just now, BluJay614 said:

No one knows for sure how it will perform. That is still up in the air. It has been promised to be released in Q2 meaning they would have until the end of June to release it.

Great! Thanks, I think I'll wait for that then, then make my decision while knowing what else is out there.

6 minutes ago, Bembi said:

I've just always had 2 monitors, I use them like its MEANT for a computer to have 2, its a part of me :( but I get your point I'm probably just being stupid about it. 

I'm pretty new when it comes to overclocking, at the moment I have an i7 6800k with a 25 Pound coolermaster fan on it.. Not entirely sure how I would go about doing that but it sounds like its worth a try! 

And I'm using this for Ultra-high gaming, and then general word/powerpoint use on the side.

If you already have a 6800k and are just gaming, Ryzen is a downgrade.

Also, get something other than FE for the GPU.

13 minutes ago, Aytex said:

When do you think you will be buying the parts? You could wait for vega?

Vega won't beat the 1080 ti

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

1)Where does he say he has a 6800k?

2)WE DON'T KNOW HOW VEGA WILL PERFORM. That is why people are saying to wait.

2 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

12 minutes ago, Bembi said:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

might end up like ryzen*

no one thought it would kill X99

but it did

*In workstation tasks. Does not beat in gaming. I am not responsible if you buy Ryzen and have worse gaming performance.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Also, don't make me bring out the logic as to why vega won't beat the 1080 ti, I'm too lazy to type it out right now :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I know I know, it seems stupid, and to be honest I'm still debating whether or not to do it, the main reason I'm even selling this is because :

1) My girlfriend said she would buy me some of the parts when moving over with her.

2) I'm extremely scared to transport any of my parts over seas since last time my GPU was destroyed :(

But if I package the processor back up it wouldn't hurt bringing that part over right?

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm not sure what either of these are 0.0 I'll make sure to talk to professor Google! 

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Thats good to know but I may still wait, you know, just in case ;).

Awesome feedback though! Thanks so much :)

1 minute ago, JDE said:

might end up like ryzen

no one thought it would kill X99

but it did

Not in gaming, Ryzen still loses to 6800k.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Bembi said:

I know I know, it seems stupid, and to be honest I'm still debating whether or not to do it, the main reason I'm even selling this is because :

1) My girlfriend said she would buy me some of the parts when moving over with her.

2) I'm extremely scared to transport any of my parts over seas since last time my GPU was destroyed :(

trick: use the retail box

Just now, Bembi said:

I'm not sure what either of these are 0.0 I'll make sure to talk to professor Google! 

FE = Founders Edition (refrence)

GPU = GPU chip/gfx card

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

FE = Founders Edition (refrence)

Ahhh I didn't know there was a shorten for this, I just called it Founders Edition >.>

1 minute ago, JDE said:

GPU = GPU chip/gfx card

Dangit. I knew this one xD its 4am! Cut me some slack!

2 minutes ago, Bembi said:

But if I package the processor back up it wouldn't hurt bringing that part over right?

Awesome feedback though! Thanks so much :)

Yeah, CPU is unlikely to be damaged much by transport, at the very least you could recycle it.

Anyhow, if you were looking for a gaming CPU 7700k is a better option.

GPU is possible, pcie slot coulda been damaged but CPU is unlikely, especially since it's much smaller.

FE means founders edition, I'm referring to the GPUs with only one fan. They're hotter and louder and are only good for small form factor builds, I recommend you get a GPU with an aftermarket cooler (evga sc2, Asus strix, etc.)

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Bembi said:

Ahhh I didn't know there was a shorten for this, I just called it Founders Edition >.>

In case you don't know why we don't recommend FE, its because:

1. Its more expensive
  2. It will be HOT
1 minute ago, Bembi said:

Dangit. I knew this one xD its 4am! Cut me some slack!

Hehehe

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Not in gaming, Ryzen still loses to 6800k.

Read it now. It has something now that I am renouned for.

(evga sc2, Asus strix, etc.)

I am outraged you did not mention my favourite. (cough cough AORUS cough cough)

BTW I wonder if @DocSwag gets notifications from this?

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Yeah, CPU is unlikely to be damaged much by transport, at the very least you could recycle it.

Anyhow, if you were looking for a gaming CPU 7700k is a better option.

GPU is possible, pcie slot coulda been damaged but CPU is unlikely, especially since it's much smaller.

FE means founders edition, I'm referring to the GPUs with only one fan. They're hotter and louder and are only good for small form factor builds, I recommend you get a GPU with an aftermarket cooler (evga sc2, Asus strix, etc.)

Is that because its quadcore apposed to 6core and is clocked higher? Also so I know for the future, why is that the case? Quad core is better for gaming or something, I hear that a lot but never know why!

My GPU rn is garbage, it some old R9 200 series, it wont even give me a specific name for it, just gonna order the 1080ti over there to be delivered to me in the US. 

And I see... that makes total sense and I have no clue why I didn't realise this. But say if I decided to do a custom water loop, would the FE be better there? Or still 3rd party? (strictly heat and noise, price isn't a problem.)

Just now, Bembi said:

Is that because its quadcore apposed to 6core and is clocked higher? Also so I know for the future, why is that the case? Quad core is better for gaming or something, I hear that a lot but never know why!

The IPC of Kaby Lake is slightly higher.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 minutes ago, Bembi said:

My GPU rn is garbage, it some old R9 200 series, it wont even give me a specific name for it, just gonna order the 1080ti over there to be delivered to me in the US. 

And I see... that makes total sense and I have no clue why I didn't realise this. But say if I decided to do a custom water loop, would the FE be better there? Or still 3rd party? (strictly heat and noise, price isn't a problem.)

IPC for the 6700k/7700k is better and the clock speeds aare higher which makes performance better for gaming. the FE should have more waterblocks available for it so it should be better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

36 minutes ago, Bembi said:

If you're just doing gaming with some general productivity tasks on the side, I'd keep the i7 6800K. If you package it right (or just use the retail box), there's a very small chance that the chip will get damaged. If you can keep the motherboard then that's even more money saved which can be put towards a second GTX 1080Ti...

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder