OneDrive For Business School

NTDaws

So my school uses OneDrive for our documents. We can access it online with our emails which would be like **********@school.****.net

I was wondering, if there would be a way to route my documents in my account, to my server, where my PC can read the documents.

Is it possible?

~Being Delirious

The geek himself.

8 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

So my school uses OneDrive for our documents. We can access it online with our emails which would be like **********@school.****.net

I was wondering, if there would be a way to route my documents in my account, to my server, where my PC can read the documents.

Is it possible?

~Being Delirious

Microsoft has a guide on doing exactly this, available at the following disgustingly lengthy and non SEO friendly link:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-started-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-in-Windows-615391c4-2bd3-4aae-a42a-858262e42a49

This assumed your domain administrator hasn't disabled the ability to login to the OneDrive Desktop Client though, so you'll want to check with them to make sure this isn't the case.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

25 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Microsoft has a guide on doing exactly this, available at the following disgustingly lengthy and non SEO friendly link:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Get-started-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-in-Windows-615391c4-2bd3-4aae-a42a-858262e42a49

This assumed your domain administrator hasn't disabled the ability to login to the OneDrive Desktop Client though, so you'll want to check with them to make sure this isn't the case.

These require .Net Framework 3.5 which is unable to be installed on Windows Server.

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

These require .Net Framework 3.5 which is unable to be installed on Windows Server.

Incorrect. Sort of. It can't be installed properly because Microsoft broke it. Again. As usual. How typical of them. le sigh

However, you can use DISM to deploy the .NET framework, which is probably what you should be doing anyway since it's a server OS...

http://www.danielclasson.com/install-net-framework-35-server-2012/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Incorrect. Sort of. It can't be installed properly because Microsoft broke it. Again. As usual.

However, you can use DISM to deploy the .NET framework, which is probably what you should be doing anyway since it's a server OS...

http://www.danielclasson.com/install-net-framework-35-server-2012/

Tried that too.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

Tried that too.

Welp, that sucks then. There is one other option: mount the drive as a WebDAV attached network disk.

https://support.boxcryptor.com/display/DOCEN/How+to+get+your+OneDrive+for+Business+URL

Again, assuming the domain admin allows this.

Alternatively, ask your school to switch to a cloud storage service that's actually cross-platform, and doesn't throw random sync errors for files with no log files to troubleshoot with. So not OneDrive, Google Drive, or iCloud. Something like... DropBox! It "just works" without dependencies and is actually cross platform. (I'm aware this isn't realistic, since I know all too well that school and business staff aren't just going to change things overnight, but it is still an option.)

12 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Welp, that sucks then. There is one other option: mount the drive as a WebDAV attached network disk.

https://support.boxcryptor.com/display/DOCEN/How+to+get+your+OneDrive+for+Business+URL

Again, assuming the domain admin allows this.

Alternatively, ask your school to switch to a cloud storage service that's actually cross-platform, and doesn't throw random sync errors for files with no log files to troubleshoot with. So not OneDrive, Google Drive, or iCloud. Something like... DropBox! It "just works" without dependencies and is actually cross platform. (I'm aware this isn't realistic, since I know all too well that school and business staff aren't just going to change things overnight, but it is still an option.)

We can't use Dropbox, you can't sync your ID or User to dropbox. We need it also because some people cant afford word and powerpoint so they use the onedrive or online option.

The geek himself.

2 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

I'm trying to figure out what you're asking - are you meaning can you have the sync client installed in two places at once? Yes

Can you use folder redirection to force certain folders to store inside OneDrive? Yes see here

1 hour ago, Being Delirious said:

We can't use Dropbox, you can't sync your ID or User to dropbox. We need it also because some people cant afford word and powerpoint so they use the onedrive or online option.

Alrighty, that makes sense. Plus, I'd imagine then it's less maintenance on people to keep their copies of Office up to date. Good call.

Did you look into mounting the OneDrive storage as a network drive using WebDAV?

Which version of server are you running? I have never had any issues with .NET and onedrive on 2012R2. I believe it just works if you install the .NET 4.5 role.

9 hours ago, NZLaurence said:

Which version of server are you running? I have never had any issues with .NET and onedrive on 2012R2. I believe it just works if you install the .NET 4.5 role.

And when you need to install .Net 3.5 all you need to do it point Server Manager to the SxS folder on the install media, it says to do so at the bottom of the Add/Remove Roles and Features window.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:01 AM, Being Delirious said:

You wot mate?

Capture.PNG.9d3465e65b7d64daf4302a223e76692e.PNG

8 hours ago, Blake said:

You wot mate?

Capture.PNG.9d3465e65b7d64daf4302a223e76692e.PNG

I mean without the disc >.>

The geek himself.

11 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

Who uses the disk? Install-windowsfeature cmdlet will look at the binaries on disk and online, it wont look on an optical drive unless you point it at it. Infact I have more issues installing .net on client OS' simple due to them not having this powershell cmdlet, and having all my 'reference' .wim files already having .net 3.5 installed meaning I rearly do it, and need to remember what the fix is every time.

On 5/30/2017 at 11:16 PM, Being Delirious said:

You don't even need PS to do it. Simply open up the server managed and go to add features.

20 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

You don't even need PS to do it. Simply open up the server managed and go to add features.

I tried that it wont work unfortunately.

The geek himself.

21 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

I tried that it wont work unfortunately.

What error does it give?

19 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

What error does it give?

The source files could not be downloaded. 
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information about specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.

Windows couldn't connect to the Internet to download necessary files. Make sure that you're connected to the Internet, and click "Retry" to try again.

Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
The source files could not be found. Try installing the roles, role services, or features again in a new Add Roles and Features Wizard session, and on the Confirmation page of the wizard, click "Specify an alternate source path" to specify a valid location of the source files that are required for the installation. The location must be accessible by the computer account of the destination server.
0x800F0906 - CBS_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE

The geek himself.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:16 AM, Being Delirious said:

Download it from Microsoft, it's freely available for download. Windows can natively mount ISOs as virtual DVD drives then use Server Manager to add the .Net 3.5 feature and specify an alternate source path i.e. [x]:\Sources\SxS\

2 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

The source files could not be downloaded. 
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information about specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.

Windows couldn't connect to the Internet to download necessary files. Make sure that you're connected to the Internet, and click "Retry" to try again.

Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed.
The source files could not be found. Try installing the roles, role services, or features again in a new Add Roles and Features Wizard session, and on the Confirmation page of the wizard, click "Specify an alternate source path" to specify a valid location of the source files that are required for the installation. The location must be accessible by the computer account of the destination server.
0x800F0906 - CBS_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3002547/you-cannot-enable-the-microsoft-.net-framework-3.5-feature-on-windows-server-2012-r2,-windows-server-2012,-windows-8.1,-or-windows-8-after-you-install-security-update-2966827-or-2966828

Looks like you have been following that. 

I'd say assuming this isn't a prod environment, just uninstall the 2 security updates and try again... then re-install the KB after. 

12 minutes ago, Blake said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3002547/you-cannot-enable-the-microsoft-.net-framework-3.5-feature-on-windows-server-2012-r2,-windows-server-2012,-windows-8.1,-or-windows-8-after-you-install-security-update-2966827-or-2966828

Looks like you have been following that. 

I'd say assuming this isn't a prod environment, just uninstall the 2 security updates and try again... then re-install the KB after. 

I got stung with that a while ago, had to use dism to update the install media ISO. Right pain in the ass, we changed our VM template to have the feature enabled by default just to avoid that problem again.

@Windspeed36 I installed Windows Server 2008 R2 instead, had much better support for this feature.

The geek himself.