What does it take for you to switch to linux?

I personally use linux as main os cos i like the unix architecture and it feels better for me.

Sure windows has better software and game support, but for me it really does not matter

as i dont need special software like photoshop and the like.

Sure better gaming support would be nice ;)

But really, does it matter what os we use. They all have their good and bad sides.

Use what ever you like and be happy :P

So this thread is basically people arguing that if you use windows you're doing it wrong, and if you think that windoes does something better you're wrong?

Not hating on anyone/anything

Its a pointless thread now where people try hard to convince themselves that what they use is the best. Those who are actually interested in Linux should be going out trying it rather than reading this.

Disk space isn't a problem.

3) pretty pointless considering the space current disks have.

The less resources your system uses, the more resources available for your own programs and tasks. It does matter. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I use linux manjaro as my main os. Support for nvidia optimus may be limited ( i have a gt630m) but overall it is faster than windows and meets my personal requirements - being able to customize it in any way, installing apps i need with a single simple command ( pacman ought to be the best ) , being provided with a native c++ compiler which can work with any input file

Linux comes from a diffrent hertage (Unix) than Windows (Dos). Saying Linux should more like Windows is like saying blue should be more like red, because you like blue. Windows already exsists, if you like it USE IT, but please step off the Linux should be more like windows argument.

If you want the "perfect" Unix(ish) desktop Apple has done it, but like Microsoft, they have poured milllions of dollars & man hours into making it "idiot proof" for the casual user, and working with/paying hardware vendors to support their "seemless" UI.

The majority of time & money going into Linux has been to support its use as a server or embeded OS. Conical and Steam are pushing for (what they think are) better UI's and hoopefully they will make it more desktop user friendly, but it will NEVER repace Windows, because its NOT WINDOWS, and that's a GREAT thing IMO.

Its a pointless thread now where people try hard to convince themselves that what they use is the best. Those who are actually interested in Linux should be going out trying it rather than reading this.

I started this with the intention thatI could learn what others thought linux should have that it doesn't. I should have realized what this would turn into. 

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

you can never compare things.

- PS vs XBox vs Nintendo

- Windows vs Linux vs Mac

- iPod vs Zune

etc.

These are no no topics.

I personally use linux as main os cos i like the unix architecture and it feels better for me.

Sure windows has better software and game support, but for me it really does not matter

as i dont need special software like photoshop and the like.

Sure better gaming support would be nice ;)

But really, does it matter what os we use. They all have their good and bad sides.

Use what ever you like and be happy :P

as far as gaming support goes, SteamOS will surely bring more games to linux, so we can play our games without dual-booting windows. :)

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

as far as gaming support goes, SteamOS will surely bring more games to linux, so we can play our games without dual-booting windows. :)

Yep hope so, i still have win 7 partition just to play some rpg games, just hoping the next elder scrolls supports linux :)