How to move arch from hdd to ssd

Go to solution Solved by Wild Penquin,

Things like "cloning software" don't exist for Linux, mainly because there already are nice tools in GNU that can do the job. Type 'man dd' to find out about a tool that can clone a whole partition containing a file system (or even a whole disk, but I'd not recommend this except for identical drives because of alignment issues, unless you are sure what you are doing).

In the OP's case, a clean install is not a bad option. Just keep your old /home intact somewhere, perhaps also /etc if you've made any modifications by hand (and other directories - if you have any), take the package list (as suggested above) and you are covered (restore /home and changes you have made in /etc after re-installing the bare system).

But things may be different depending on the situation; also rsync and cloning a whole FS (with dd) have their use cases.

Do read this wiki page for some tips / optimizations regarding SSDs (mainly TRIM) after you have made the switch.

I have a arch installation and I want to move to a ssd how would I do that. The hdd is 100 Gigs and the ssd is 80 but I have 60 gigs of free space so it shouldn't be a problem. 

Use some type of cloning software. I'd google one with good reviews for Linux. Though if you can, a clean install is always better when moving drives. It definitely a pain though, so don't feel like you have to. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Use some type of cloning software. I'd google one with good reviews for Linux. Though if you can, a clean install is always better when moving drives. It definitely a pain though, so don't feel like you have to. 

Okay I'll clean install thanks 

1 minute ago, Turtleinahafshel said:

Okay I'll clean install thanks 

Just make sure and unplug all the other drives except the SSD you're installing to so you don't accidentally install to the wrong place. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

not really with linux

follow this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/full_system_backup_with_rsync

9 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Just make sure and unplug all the other drives except the SSD you're installing to so you don't accidentally install to the wrong place. 

Okay

Things like "cloning software" don't exist for Linux, mainly because there already are nice tools in GNU that can do the job. Type 'man dd' to find out about a tool that can clone a whole partition containing a file system (or even a whole disk, but I'd not recommend this except for identical drives because of alignment issues, unless you are sure what you are doing).

In the OP's case, a clean install is not a bad option. Just keep your old /home intact somewhere, perhaps also /etc if you've made any modifications by hand (and other directories - if you have any), take the package list (as suggested above) and you are covered (restore /home and changes you have made in /etc after re-installing the bare system).

But things may be different depending on the situation; also rsync and cloning a whole FS (with dd) have their use cases.

Do read this wiki page for some tips / optimizations regarding SSDs (mainly TRIM) after you have made the switch.

Edited by Wild Penquin
TRIM

13 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

why use software when the terminal can do this for you?

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

simple as that.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

my reccomendation would be backup all the important files from the system then do a fresh install which is nice to have

yeahyuz