Does Xeon x5650 bottleneck with any new GPU?

Actually I have a Dell Precision T3500 workstation with Xeon x5650, 24GB of RAM and Quadro 2000. I want to upgrade my GPU to Quadro M2000 OR M4000.

Is it possible? Please advise.....

12 minutes ago, Shoaib Akhtar said:

Actually I have a Dell Precision T3500 workstation with Xeon x5650, 24GB of RAM and Quadro 2000. I want to upgrade my GPU to Quadro M2000 OR M4000.

Is it possible? Please advise.....

The x5650s bottleneck pretty much anything above an RX480. (or so I think). 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

I am no expert by any means. But my w3570 was still able to fully utilize my gtx 1050 ti, in a hp Z400 workstation with 12gb of 1333 ddr3.

Just my experience, and don't know if the architecture differences between consumer cards and the quadros will have any impact.

If you are planing to game on it, performance is similar to i7 4770k (so not so worst then skylake cpus maybe 15% less performance)

I am sure you dont need anything else for workstation, 12 threads with relativly high clock speed should be very balanced with m4000. 

If you have some good 1366 mobo you can overclock it a little bit, it will give you good boost in performance (i've seen x5650 overclocked that has same performance as i7 6800k a stock speed)

I have a Xeon E3 1240 which is more powerful than the X5650, and I have a GTX 950 (after my 1050ti died). My GPU is still my bottleneck.

Get a mid-tier GPU like the 1060 and spend the rest of the money on something else, like a better case...the Precision cases are ugly as hell

Running an GTX 970 on my x5670 @  4GHz and I'm nowhere near a bottleneck. 

I think with 1070 you will start to hit boundaries and 1080 will probably to powerful of a card.

if you are on 1440p you should be fine anyways.

17 hours ago, bimmerman said:

You'll be fine, especially for Quadro-oriented workloads.

I think bottlenecking as a whole is blown wildly out of proportion.

Hmm...

It means I can use Quadro M4000.

Am I right?

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I have an X5650 OC to 3.3 (unstable above anything else on my board) and I have a 1080ti, I am finding that alot of the games that should be getting more than 60fps are deffo being bottlenecked by the CPU but, and this is the stinker, I can not afford to upgrade yet =(