Is a typical dude, a gamer? (mainstream question)

MysticLTT

When you think of an average guy, is his favorite pastime, playing games or do non-gamers still outnumber like they did in 2000? In real life I meet a lot of people who never heard of games or own any sort of meaningful hardware, maybe a laptop for Netflix and email, they work, make money, go out with the boys etc., but online, it looks like everyone is a tech gamer type.

I would say it's probably fairly even, depending on how exactly you classify it. If someone primarily has sports as a hobby, whether league or high school etc... does playing a game once or twice a week with buddies constitute a "gamer?" What is the threshold that constitutes a gamer? Once that's defined, it's probably fairly easy to figure it out. 

12 minutes ago, divito said:

I would say it's probably fairly even, depending on how exactly you classify it. If someone primarily has sports as a hobby, whether league or high school etc... does playing a game once or twice a week with buddies constitute a "gamer?" What is the threshold that constitutes a gamer? Once that's defined, it's probably fairly easy to figure it out. 

A non-gamer, someone who never played a video game, except maybe as a child, and don't have a way of doing it, don't buy the hardware. I'd say 80% of my acquaintance are hard non-gamers, which makes me feel like a sleeper agent, I only come to forums to enjoy tech talk. 

6 hours ago, MysticLTT said:

When you think of an average guy, is his favorite pastime, playing games or do non-gamers still outnumber like they did in 2000? In real life I meet a lot of people who never heard of games or own any sort of meaningful hardware, maybe a laptop for Netflix and email, they work, make money, go out with the boys etc., but online, it looks like everyone is a tech gamer type.

What age demographic?

Nearly all of my friends are at least casual gamers, they love FIFA and Call of Duty and to be fair, who doesn't? So for me, the average guy is a gamer. That being said, I'm surrounded by gamers, so it would seem like most guys are gamers, however, that isn't always true. Go to any gym and you'll find that, at most, half of them play games. They're usually too busy either working out or with their jobs or take other interests, like I do. 

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com