AOL shutdown Winamp

i used it for 2 months becuse the interface was pretty cool then it became annoying

the winamp andriod app sucks too

Are we (OP and I) the only ones who are going to miss it ?

no. but cmon you can still use it.

I don't understand how anyone still doesn't use VLC for everything possible ever. It's the most all-in-one wonder you could have.

i use splash pro for videos now. bsplayer and vlc are old and good media players everyone knows that. 

but i still can`t believe this is happening. winamp was mandatory back in the days man.like winrar and stuff.

MP3 no, but MP4 and WMA can be lossless.

WMA can be lossless but it is barely supported/maintained by microsoft.so I'm surprised to see anyone using it for that.

Anyone use the phone version? Wasn't to bad, preferred it before vlc for android.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

Anyone use the phone version? Wasn't to bad, preferred it before vlc for android.

Nope, I use Poweramp.

Meh.. I didn't use it in years. I could say I prefer... okay it seems harder to write it than say it xD. But yeah I prefer Windows Media Player over WinAmp. 

Not that it matters as I use foobar2k anyways xD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

Damn, I really like Winamp, brings back all the good memories from when mp3s were downloaded over dial up and elastomania was the king of the hill

This is the saddest Tech related news, I've heard all year.

I have used WinAMP since version one came out in 1997. Back when 1 mp3 file in 128kbit could take up to half an hour to encode on my Pentium 1 150mhz.

Back then Winamp didn't have a playlist feature, so you could only play 1 file at a time. Version 2 was amazing and lived on for a long time, whereas version 3 was extremely buggy and useless. I have used 5 since it came out and use it to manage music on my ipod nano.

I will use the new winamp 5.66 until it can no longer do what I need it to. I see no proper alternatives for my use right now. I will have to change my ways or stay with winamp. Indeed sad news. :(

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I would say it's ok, and that I can just use foobar 2000, the better player (according to popular opinion based on small group of people I have seen say so), like everyone else, but my xonar essence stx has driver incompatibility issues with that player and the music becomes altered X(

Anyone know of any equal or better alternatives to foobar?

For me the best music player right now is Xbox Music on Windows 8.1
It's just sooo good <3
tech-windows-8-1-xbox-music.jpg
It detects all my Music automaticly and loads the covers.
And I can also snap it to the side and it shows diffrent Pictures of the artist.
Xbox-Music-for-Windows-8.1-Update.jpg?it
And it also has it's own radio system where you can search for an artist and it will play music from that artist and similar artists without you even owning the music.

RTX2070OC 

Yes, XBox Music in Windows 8.1 is pretty good. Not great (still prefer the Zune desktop software), but I like it.

Never used Winamp because it looked like unsafe software. VLC is not bad in terms of playing media in general imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Winamp had so much potential, but they just let the code sit and rot at aol.  Audio and video support.

Foobar2000 is good...  but needs video support.  Can't play flv files, and surround audio (still looking for a workaround).

My Rigs (past and present)

winamp nooo, don't die D:

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

AOL ruined it, v3.0, I ran that version for so long even after they upgraded it to avoid the AOL bloat.

They also had many of the first Internet Radio stations that were uncensored and actually very cool. They played a ton of cool tunes any regular station would never play, well at least till they'd pull the station because they were doing things that weren't "approved".

Winamp, kicked the Llama's ass back then and for some time after, iTunes and the rest are just copies that will also die eventually til the next cool player arises. Entertainment cycles around what's cool and most cool things end up stuck in some time/genre and eventually die off, Winamp had a good run. Eventually iTunes, Foobar, or whatever player/streamer will end up on the un-cool list.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Thanks, but that dsp seems like it's for conversion... like the sample which is stereo to begin with.  I'm looking for proper playback or passthrough ac3/dts/multi-channel surround encoded music.  Like from this artist  http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html.  I have a receiver so it does the decoding.

Don't see why you'd ever want surround for music, though. Sounds like shit.

If played through a surround speaker setup and not "fake" surround headphone, it can be quite immersive.  I can't say it will be amazing every time as it depends on the recording, but I can say for certain that it doesn't sound like shit.  Ended up with extra speakers, and just been checking it out (even though they have recording surround music for ages). 

Also, why would an audio player ever support video?

Because music videos is also music... and I have a lot of music videos.  I'm old school you know.. I want my MTV!  :D   Foobar2000 natively supports reading audio from many video files so that's a plus (even webm files from *cough* y**t***  :ph34r:  ) 

My Rigs (past and present)

Oh noooooes!!!!! Winamp shut down? Another fond memory goes by the wayside a victim of commercialization ineptitude. Instead of focusing on  making a better product which was the intent of the open source community AOL tried to make money on a product which, in the basic version, they gave away for free. Sigh such is life.

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

It's probably a sign that it's time to switch to foobatar.

The meaning is that aliens are cooler in the future than ligthing

$$金Trill金$$

Has AOL been shutdown yet?  We're not in the 90's anymore.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads