AOL shutdown Winamp

Winamp, the ultimate music player of 15 years ago, has now been shutdown.

Winamp was the must have music player in all computer for it's high quality MP3 and other format playback. Then in 1999 AOL bought Winamp for 80million$, and this is when the software started to spin down in quality, optimization, and started to be bulky and comes with extra junk software.

For the many years that followed, Winamp stop evolving and stopping at version 5.

Today, AOL decided to shutdown Winamp once and for all, next month exactly from now.

Winamp, the storied MP3 player bought by AOL in June 1999 for over $80 million, is set to shut down in exactly one month. According to a post that went live Wednesday at 12:00 pm Eastern Time on the Winamp website:

[...]

While the company has declined to release official figures, former employees who worked on Winamp estimate its current revenue at around $6 million annually. And Winamp still has an estimated user base of millions worldwide, a small fraction of which live in the United States. All of that appears to be water under the bridge now.

“There's no reason that Winamp couldn’t be in the position that iTunes is in today if not for a few layers of mismanagement by AOL that started immediately upon acquisition,”

Source: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/11/after-15-years-of-llama-whipping-aol-shuts-down-winamp-for-good/

damn, i use that alot! :o

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Itunes :3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I've been using Foobar for the last 3 or so years so it doesn't really affect me. It's still a shame when popular software gets dumped though.

Please AOL, relicense it under the GPL before abandoning it, please.

anyone remember soulseek? (not a music player, i know, but this made me think of it)

The day Zune desktop software came to life, I never touch Winamp ever again. Sure it can only play MP3s, MP4's, WMAs, WMVs, and I think AVI's, but as all my stuff in those formats, I am fine. Sure there is no equalizer, but you should not touch software EQ's. Get better headphones and a dedicated sound card, and enjoy unaltered sound, in its full richness. EQ's are like having a 50$ TN panel with washed out colors and you boost in Nvidia or AMD control panel Saturation level... you get more crap.

The Zune desktop software is so nice, and smooth due to it's fully GPU rendered interface, and nice visualization that show case the currently playing artists, made me want to get XBox Music, which I won't get why anyone would get anything else. I mean you have more songs than any other service subscription out there (second largest, the first being iTunes), and you have unlimited music download and streaming. And you have an Android and iOS app (XBox Music).

zune1.png

zune2.png

anyone remember soulseek? (not a music player, i know, but this made me think of it)

No, but I remember Sonique which was Winamp's main competitor back in the day.

Media_player_sonique-1.95.png

No, but I remember Sonique which was Winamp's main competitor back in the day.

Media_player_sonique-1.95.png

Dayum, that thing looks like some HUD in an early sci-fi game. or halo or something

Soulseek was a limewire/napster alternative, which worked a lot like dc++ networks you get in university dorms often nowadays. had a looot of weird electronic music too..

Winamp-logo.gif

ARE YOU F*ING KIDDING ME! O.o (Sorry for the language) but OMG I've used Winamp ever since I had

my first PC (I were about 5) and now it will be gone for good?... I think I may cry :( I still use it to this day!!!

Why does this happen to good things :(

man_crying.jpg

Source: Engadget

Good riddance, tbh.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

It's probably a sign that it's time to switch to foobatar.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Winamp used to be so good. Then it turned to shit... RIP Winamp

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Back in the days of first versions it was good, but next releases f*cked it up like they did with Nero (not company, but example). Been on Foobar for few years now and cant say ill miss Winamp.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Are we (OP and I) the only ones who are going to miss it ?

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I don't understand how anyone still doesn't use VLC for everything possible ever. It's the most all-in-one wonder you could have.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Looks like it :P I liked it since it was simple and did what I wanted it to... still use the classic theme to this day :(

I only recently switched to the new Bento (or something like that) theme at the start of 2013, and I started using it when my dad bought or first Windows PC in 2001, when I was 5... It's a shame they're closing it, gonna read the article to learn why.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log