Displayport connection broke, HDMI still works

Hello fellow friends,

i have a GTX970 connected by displayport to a asus 248qe 144hz monitor.

2 days ago, i shut my computer down with no errors or some strange updates or whatever. When i started my computer back up yesterday, my monitor showed a very strange blocky image like the resolution was 800x600 or something.

When i got to displaysettings i saw that my resolution supposedly should me 1080. when i put the resolution 1 step down, my screen went black and never came back up again. I restarted my pc by pushing the on/off button twice and still, no BIOS screen, no nothing. 'displayport: no signal' is what my monitor says.

So i shut the computer down again and connected everything with HDMI to test and my screen went on again. no problem, computer works fine, but at 60hz which is a real step back from 144.

Anyone knows why my displayport doesnt work anymore? any tips to try? i dont really want to buy a new videocard just to play at 144hz again :(

Yeah sounds like an broken cable/port. 
But did you isolate the problem. Like did you try uninstalling driver with DDU and then making fresh install and so on? What steps did you take in troubleshooting?

Hmm, it sounds like a hardware issue, but try:

• Uninstall drivers with DDU, reinstall.
  • Try a different DP cable
  • Sounds odd, but try flipping the cable. GPU-side to monitor and vice versa, has worked for me actually.
  • Do you have a lower end GPU laying around? Try plugging it in if it has a DP input.

i dont have another gpu laying around.

I did however isolate some things. I did update the drivers to the latets one from 2 days ago. Didnt work. did the reinstall with ddu. didnt work. Did plug the displayport cable in another computer. that did work. so cable isnt the problem ( that cant be. i shut the computer down no problem and after a reboot it broke??)

so i dont have a clue. 

I have a watercooled block. so i cant 'just return it for warrenty'.. the block is still working. pump is fine. never overheated. never spilled water.

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

@JPotze did you OC the CPU, I've seen some expansion cards get damaged by setting higher voltages for CPU

i never OC anything. it was working when i shut down the pc. when i started back up, it didnt work on displayport. any other port works.. 

6 minutes ago, JPotze said:

i never OC anything. it was working when i shut down the pc. when i started back up, it didnt work on displayport. any other port works.. 

a hard power off could have sent a surge through the PCI-E power connection, but that's very rare, have you tried the card in a different PC or PCI-E slot?

7 minutes ago, JPotze said:

i dont have another gpu laying around.

I did however isolate some things. I did update the drivers to the latets one from 2 days ago. Didnt work. did the reinstall with ddu. didnt work. Did plug the displayport cable in another computer. that did work. so cable isnt the problem ( that cant be. i shut the computer down no problem and after a reboot it broke??)

so i dont have a clue. 

I have a watercooled block. so i cant 'just return it for warrenty'.. the block is still working. pump is fine. never overheated. never spilled water.

If you have soft tubing try to re-insert your gpu. I had similar problem with HDMI.

12 minutes ago, chexor said:

If you have soft tubing try to re-insert your gpu. I had similar problem with HDMI.

i have.. I'll try that.i will first boot without videocard and then restart and try reseating the gpu and try again.

Did you really water-cool the GPU and then never overclocked it? Wow...

4 hours ago, JPotze said:

Hello fellow friends,

i have a GTX970 connected by displayport to a asus 248qe 144hz monitor.

2 days ago, i shut my computer down with no errors or some strange updates or whatever. When i started my computer back up yesterday, my monitor showed a very strange blocky image like the resolution was 800x600 or something.

When i got to displaysettings i saw that my resolution supposedly should me 1080. when i put the resolution 1 step down, my screen went black and never came back up again. I restarted my pc by pushing the on/off button twice and still, no BIOS screen, no nothing. 'displayport: no signal' is what my monitor says.

So i shut the computer down again and connected everything with HDMI to test and my screen went on again. no problem, computer works fine, but at 60hz which is a real step back from 144.

Anyone knows why my displayport doesnt work anymore? any tips to try? i dont really want to buy a new videocard just to play at 144hz again :(

Try disconnecting the monitor from power for a minute

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-24 at 5:58 PM, Yoola said:

Did you really water-cool the GPU and then never overclocked it? Wow...

i did it because i wanted a dead quiet work station when working and light gaming. 

i did lie a bit. i did overclock it a bit with afterburner but only for one hour and didnt see any effects in real performance so i never tried it again.

9 minutes ago, JPotze said:

i did it because i wanted a dead quiet work station when working and light gaming. 

i did lie a bit. i did overclock it a bit with afterburner but only for one hour and didnt see any effects in real performance so i never tried it again.

You do understand that watercooling doesn't reduce noise? It'd only be possible if you could cool your radiator with like 3x lower RPM fans. Even then pump noise is there. Buying a GPU with 3 (the bigger the better - radius) that supports 0 RPM mode when idling would do the trick. 

4 minutes ago, Yoola said:

You do understand that watercooling doesn't reduce noise? It'd only be possible if you could cool your radiator with like 3x lower RPM fans. Even then pump noise is there. Buying a GPU with 3 (the bigger the better - radius) that supports 0 RPM mode when idling would do the trick. 

i do know that. but in my case it is more quiet. the aircooler on my gpu made a lot of noice and didnt have a 0rpm mode. my watercooler is big enough so i placed 2 low rpm noctua coolers on it that are more quiet than the stock aircooler and i have reduces the speed of the pump so that i dont hear it anymore.