Best 170$ Headphones Good With High Frequencies?

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

he is also a deaf guy that doesn't know what he is talking about. He calls headphones with a 12dB bass boost for neutral and boring. That alone should be all the reason to stop listening to him

Doesent make the Fidelio x2 a bad pair of headphones for that price tho!

Are plenty of reviewers that have praised them a lot.

1 minute ago, zOlid said:

Doesent make the Fidelio x2 a bad pair of headphones for that price tho!

Are plenty of reviewers that have praised them a lot.

They aren't bad, but they aren't that great either. They have a pretty damn big mid-bass boost, but basically no bass extension... I would classify them as decent headphones for the price since they have very good competition from headphones around the same price range. 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I'd like to add that i'd also use the headphpnes 30% of the time outside and that i live in a shared apartment and i often stay awake at night.

So as much as i'd like open headphones they might not be the best choice.

I wouldn't want to leak too much sound and disturb other people.

By the way i'm sorry for the fidelio, but they are beyond my budget.

I could stretch to 180-200$ if worth it (but i'd seriously prefer not to), but the fidelio here cost around 250 dollars.

Thanks.

What about the Sony MDR 7506? 

Treble? No problem they're good at that. They leak absolutely no sound. They're comfy. They isolate well. 

They should be around a 100 euro or $100

6 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

I'd like to add that i'd also use the headphpnes 30% of the time outside and that i live in a shared apartment and i often stay awake at night.

I could stretch to 180-200$ if worth it (but i'd seriously prefer not to), but the fidelio here cost around 250 dollars.

Thanks.

http://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/94-3012754/Hoeretelefoner/Philips-Fidelio-X2-Sammenlign-Priser?q=philips+fidelio+x2&ref=redirect&search=philips+fidelio+x2

not really.

Its like 160$

Unless you sleep next to some one, you wont disturb. But go for what ever. I would try them tho. Cos in your budget they are a good pick!

3 minutes ago, zOlid said:

http://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/94-3012754/Hoeretelefoner/Philips-Fidelio-X2-Sammenlign-Priser?q=philips+fidelio+x2&ref=redirect&search=philips+fidelio+x2

not really.

Its like 160$

Unless you sleep next to some one, you wont disturb. But go for what ever. I would try them tho. Cos in your budget they are a good pick!

it is generally a stupid idea to get open headphones when you use your headphones places with noise, because you will end up turning them up more and more, to the point where you are listening to levels that are way too high.

13 minutes ago, jippa_lippa said:

Thanks.

You could get some Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 for about 1450kr, those are portable, comfy and have a nice balanced sound with good detailing, plus very easy to drive.

If you give zero fucks about looks then the Beyerdynamic "tank" headphones are a good choice (DT100 and DT150), they can be had for about 1100kr. The Sony MDR-7506s are also an option, but not that great if you want to use them on the go.

Those and the K550MKII are all of the headphones I would recommend in your budget here in Denmark.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just heard the clip on SR60Es. Sounds fine to me. Yes there is a little sibilance, but nothing awful. They are 70 GBP and from that I'd say that the SR225Es are best. They're 20 GBP, so barely over budget and are probably very good considering that the headphones I used for the clip was the lowest in Grado's SR lineup.

This will not be useful for the OP, but I want to share my experience. After testing the provided sample (using the same song in TIDAL HIFI) in all my headphones and my speakers, the best reproduction was from my speakers and none of my headphones was capable of reproducing it without distortion sounds. So there are some possible reasons:

1. That distortion is in the song and for some reason my speakers (or amp) are rounding it and making it sound ok.
  2. All my headphones are incapable of reproducing that sound and I may need better headphones.
  3. It's hard for a single driver to reproduce that mix of sounds, the crossover in my speakers splits the sound between multiple drivers and it's easier to play it that way.

List of headphones NOT to buy:

•  Sennheiser HD 6XX
  • Grado SR325is
  • GermanMAESTRO GMP 8.35
  • Grado GS2000e

Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, elira said:

List of headphones NOT to buy:

•  Sennheiser HD 6XX

um WTF? Why? 

Just now, Dackzy said:

um WTF? Why? 

They doesn't play the sound the OP wants without distortion.

1 minute ago, elira said:

They doesn't play the sound the OP wants without distortion.

that is a youtube video..... Plus you just talked down about the best headphones for 200$ when you look at the technical side of things, they are even beating out more expensive headphones in that department....

And they have basically nothing to do with this thread, OP wants closed. They are open like a lot of the headphones on that list of yours.

Just now, Dackzy said:

that is a youtube video..... Plus you just talked down about the best headphones for 200$ when you look at the technical side of things, they are even beating out more expensive headphones in that department....

And they have basically nothing to do with this thread, OP wants closed. They are open like a lot of the headphones on that list of yours.

I tested them using Tidal HIFI, so it should be lossless, and I heard that segment without distortion from my speakers, so I know it's possible to play that without distortion.

I'm just sharing my experience from what I tested. I'm not saying the HD 6XX are bad headphones, but for this particular case they are not a solution because of the distortion and as you pointed they are open back.

Just now, elira said:

I tested them using Tidal HIFI, so it should be lossless, and I heard that segment without distortion from my speakers, so I know it's possible to play that without distortion.

I'm just sharing my experience from what I tested. I'm not saying the HD 6XX are bad headphones, but for this particular case they are not a solution because of the distortion and as you pointed they are open back.

There are plenty of reasons why this happened.

• Bad audio chain/really bad match
  • Not as detailed speakers and therefore not being able to hear the distortion there(aka in the song)
  • A bad pair of HD6xx (they are a Chinese version after all)
  • Just found that single song that makes them distort 

(not trying to diss your gear or you in any way)

I think the most likely is a bad pair or just that one special song that fucks with them

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

There are plenty of reasons why this happened.

• Bad audio chain/really bad match
  • Not as detailed speakers and therefore not being able to hear the distortion there(aka in the song)
  • A bad pair of HD6xx (they are a Chinese version after all)
  • Just found that single song that makes them distort 

(not trying to diss your gear or you in any way)

I think the most likely is a bad pair or just that one special song that fucks with them

Yes, there're a lot of reasons why this could happen, I think the issue is that particular song but if the OP listens to that kind of music it may be a common occurrence to find sounds like that particular one.

The HD 6XX are made in Ireland, I think in the same factory where the HD 650 are made.

6 minutes ago, elira said:

Yes, there're a lot of reasons why this could happen, I think the issue is that particular song but if the OP listens to that kind of music it may be a common occurrence to find sounds like that particular one.

The HD 6XX are made in Ireland, I think in the same factory where the HD 650 are made.

huh, I thought they were made in China or some other Asian country since that is what Massdrop usually does.

I think OP needs to try all the headphones with that song, sadly there aren't really that many audio stores close to each other here in Denmark and they often only have a few different models on show.

34 minutes ago, elira said:

Need more detail. You tested all the above (headphones and speakers) with the Tidal version?

How do you know that your speakers aren't covering up "distortion" that is actually part of the music?

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

Need more detail. You tested all the above (headphones and speakers) with the Tidal version?

How do you know that your speakers aren't covering up "distortion" that is actually part of the music?

Yes, all with the Tidal version.

I don't know if my speakers are covering up the distortion, but in that case someone that wants to listen that song may want headphones that also cover it up.

5 hours ago, elira said:

My testing shows no distortion with my HD650 (same as HD6xx) with Schiit Valhalla 2 and Geek Out 450

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

19 minutes ago, spwath said:

My testing shows no distortion with my HD650 (same as HD6xx) with Schiit Valhalla 2 and Geek Out 450

50% success rate I guess. :) 

Guys, it could be simply that the song was badly mastered and highs are peaking easily

(cheap) Speakers are rounding the sound and probably not reproducing full scale

Headphones tend to be much more sensitive and detailed so you will hear disortion..

For example, the song sounds fine also on very cheap headphones because they are unable to reproduce the highs properly (peaking)

That are my thoughts

I heard several times that once you get proper decent headphones you will start to hate your badly mastered music