My computer is locked out

Humble Cactus

Hello Linus Forum. 

I am a subscriber to NETCO internet. When I signed up the ISP's technician installed software on my personal computer so I could connect to the internet. I'm currently in a contract with them for 24 months of service but I've had very bad service and recently switched providers. NETCO claims I owe for multiple months of service since I am under contract but I have been refusing to pay. 

This weekend they stuck back at me by disabling my computer with whatever software they installed when I first signed up. My Windows account now has a password it never had before with the message on screen 'Contact NETCO customer service for information on logging into this system'

I understand I signed a contract but I can't imagine I agreed to anything like this and even if I did I need my computer! How do I regain control of my computer now that they have locked me out?

Clean install windows?

It will wipe everything too.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Clean install windows?

It will wipe everything too.

I need my documents and emails and photos and everything. I don't have anything online my emails are in outlook and my photos are in my photos everything I have digital is on this computer

5 minutes ago, Humble Cactus said:

Hello Linus Forum. 

I am a subscriber to NETCO internet. When I signed up the ISP's technician installed software on my personal computer so I could connect to the internet. I'm currently in a contract with them for 24 months of service but I've had very bad service and recently switched providers. NETCO claims I owe for multiple months of service since I am under contract but I have been refusing to pay. 

This weekend they stuck back at me by disabling my computer with whatever software they installed when I first signed up. My Windows account now has a password it never had before with the message on screen 'Contact NETCO customer service for information on logging into this system'

I understand I signed a contract but I can't imagine I agreed to anything like this and even if I did I need my computer! How do I regain control of my computer now that they have locked me out?

holy crap thats a thing??

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

just pay and stop using their wifi

They want 3 months of service plus late fees and I'd have to pay each month until April of 2018 

I need a way to get back in. Even if it means a one time thing, get all my files and throw away the PC I can justify buying a new pc but not paying the ISP!

3 minutes ago, Humble Cactus said:

I need my documents and emails and photos and everything. I don't have anything online my emails are in outlook and my photos are in my photos everything I have digital is on this computer

You can try removing the hard drive and plugging it into another computer like a storage drive, unless they've encrypted it you should be able to copy your files off of it using windows explorer.

1 minute ago, Humble Cactus said:

Also that would mean the terrorists win

LOL

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Also that would mean the terrorists win

This whole thing seems shady as hell. Could you provide a link to their webpage?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Get your hands on:

a usb pendrive

an external hdd or a spare hdd

a friend's laptop or computer

a lawyer

Download and create a live Ubuntu pendrive.

Take the pendrive, boot into a live session of Ubuntu then copy your files to the external hdd (or a second hdd that you can remove from the PC).

Format your boot drive or partition

Reinstall Windows

Fuck the ISP that installed the software by taking them to court for unauthorized takeover of your personal property.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just now, Enderman said:

You can try removing the hard drive and plugging it into another computer like a storage drive, unless they've encrypted it you should be able to copy your files off of it using windows explorer.

LOL

That is a fair bit above my understanding. You are saying I can take the brain out basically and transplant, but won't the new computer say the same thing? 

Just now, revsilverspine said:

Get your hands on:

a usb pendrive

an external hdd or a spare hdd

a friend's laptop or computer

a lawyer

Download and create a live Ubuntu pendrive.

Take the pendrive, boot into a live session of Ubuntu then copy your files to the external hdd (or a second hdd that you can remove from the PC).

Format your boot drive or partition

Reinstall Windows

Fuck the ISP that installed the software by taking them to court for unauthorized takeover of your personal property.

Other than the laywer thing that is way beyond what I can do with a computer. Maybe one of my friends' kids could do that but not me.

Just now, Humble Cactus said:

That is a fair bit above my understanding. You are saying I can take the brain out basically and transplant, but won't the new computer say the same thing? 

No because you would boot into the OS of the normal computer, so this drive would be like a USB, just storage, and you can pull files off of it.

Spoiler

idk, man

the solution is easy, format, reinstall. done in minutes.

but your problem is not the computer, it's the contract.

if you go to court you will lose anyway.

I mean, 24months.... why would you sign that contract.

Just now, Humble Cactus said:

Other than the laywer thing that is way beyond what I can do with a computer. Maybe one of my friends' kids could do that but not me.

It's easy. Most of the process takes little to no user interaction.

If needed I am sure we can guide you through the entire process. Should take less than a couple hours (depending on download speed for the Ubuntu iso and the amount of data that needs to be recovered)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

idk, man

the solution is easy, format, reinstall. done in minutes.

but your problem is not the computer, it's the contract.

if you go to court you will lose anyway.

I mean, 24months.... why would you sign that contract.

actually, no. It's an instant win.

The contract has a clause for early closure. If it doesn't it's still a win by lack of clause.

Adding the unauthorized lockdown of the PC, there isn't a judge in the world that would rule in favor of the ISP

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

actually, no. It's an instant win.

The contract has a clause for early closure. If it doesn't it's still a win by lack of clause.

Adding the unauthorized lockdown of the PC, there isn't a judge in the world that would rule in favor of the ISP

not if the software was included in the contract, which obviously OP never read.

there so many loopholes and unclear situation in this case.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

not if the software was included in the contract, which obviously OP never read.

I've worked for a shady ISP in my youth and the level of shadyness from OP's ISP is unfathomable.

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

4 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

It's easy. Most of the process takes little to no user interaction.

If needed I am sure we can guide you through the entire process. Should take less than a couple hours (depending on download speed for the Ubuntu iso and the amount of data that needs to be recovered)

Easy for you to say! Even so I would be scared to death that I would mess it up and lose everything. I have a friend who's son is very good with this I can email him this conversation and he can figure it out. I really appreciate the info! I hope that works.

Easy for you to say! Even so I would be scared to death that I would mess it up and lose everything. I have a friend who's son is very good with this I can email him this conversation and he can figure it out. I really appreciate the info! I hope that works.

s'alright, we're here to help (mostly).

Good luck getting your files back

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

I've worked for a shady ISP in my youth and the level of shadyness from OP's ISP is unfathomable.

agreed, but in this case, even the best scenario if court is involved the op still had to pay penalty that they demand.

he is the one who breaking the contract.

The software issue is another case which also can sued for whatever reason, but I doubt regular person would go that far, considering court fees, lawyer fees, and time that would be required to this ridiculous practices.

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

I never thought I'd have to worry about this. I figured any reputable company would have a reasonable contract