Setting my FX9590 out to pasture...

1 minute ago, brammokeefe said:

id say dont spend the money on the k variant of the chip though.... gets hot, intel doesnt recommend OC'ing it lol

No, all Intel said is that if you don't want your CPU to run hot, don't overclock it, because overclocking makes your CPU run hot and voids your warranty (technically).

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, brammokeefe said:

id say dont spend the money on the k variant of the chip though.... gets hot, intel doesnt recommend OC'ing it lol

well you do know you can't oc non k cpu right?

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

very few games...is already ''a few games'' too much for a 350$ CPU...and these are games from NOW or the past...what about...FUTURE games... o.O

The games that stutter on an i7 are:

• Bugged
  • Unoptimized

And most developers build their games based on console specs and consoles right now have 8 threads. This is why the 7700K will probably still be faster in most games for the next 3-4 years.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No, all Intel said is that if you don't want your CPU to run hot, don't overclock it, because overclocking makes your CPU run hot and voids your warranty (technically).

"We do not recommend overclocking a processor that we charge more for the ability to overclock it" - Intel 2k17

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

well you do know you can't oc non k cpu right?

yes thats why i stuck this comment in here, seems nobody was mentioning that he wanted the k variant yet its just money being burned

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Im aware but is reducing the chip's lifespan worth the "k" and the handful of extra cycles? just thinking about it logically rather than thinking about maximum performance.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

"We do not recommend overclocking a processor that we charge more for the ability to overclock it" - Intel 2k17

No, they said it is not recommended if you don't want your CPU to run hot ;)

yes thats why i stuck this comment in here, seems nobody was mentioning that he wanted the k variant yet its just money being burned

No it's not. If you delid it, you can overclock it to 5+GHz, not to mention that it runs at 4.5GHz on all 4 cores out of the box.

how is it burned? by the heat cause from using mediocre cooler on a high end $350 cpu while losing ability to get extra clock speed boost plus overclocking?

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

No, they said it is not recommended if you don't want your CPU to run hot ;)

No it's not. If you delid it, you can overclock it to 5+GHz, not to mention that it runs at 4.5GHz on all 4 cores out of the box.

i dont disagree on that front but most dont want to attempt deliding a prices chip. thats all, so in MOST cases it just isnt worth it IMO

Yea, I'll probably do some overclocking in the future. I'm currently running a 280mm AIO Watercooler because of the FX9590 temps. So even though Intel doesn't recommend it, it should keep things cool enough if and when I decide to...

Also, the i7-7700k config I've got setup in Newegg is cheaper ($50 less) then the Ryzen config (Ryzen 7 1700K, Crosshair VI Hero, and Ram)... Note I picked the Crosshair VI Hero because it supports the AM3 socket cooler, and I don't have to worry about getting a replacement bracket.

AJ

2 minutes ago, brammokeefe said:

Im aware but is reducing the chip's lifespan worth the "k" and the handful of extra cycles?

You are not reducing the chips lifespan in any significant way, unless you run 1.5+V through it

1 minute ago, ajcroteau said:

Also, the i7-7700k config I've got setup in Newegg is cheaper ($50 less) then the Ryzen config (Ryzen 7 1700K, Crosshair VI Hero, and Ram)... Note I picked the Crosshair VI Hero because it supports the AM3 socket cooler, and I don't have to worry about getting a replacement bracket.

Get the 7700K config, also delidding is recommended

i dont disagree on that front but most dont want to attempt deliding a prices chip. thats all, so in MOST cases it just isnt worth it IMO

This pretty much sums it up :D

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Get the 7700K config, also delidding is recommended

I won't delid the chip... I don't trust myself enough to not destroy the chip in the process.

Just now, ajcroteau said:

I won't delid the chip... I don't trust myself enough to not destroy the chip in the process.

That's fine, you may not be able to get to 5GHz then, but 4.8-4.9GHz is still very good ;)

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

This pretty much sums it up :D

yeah, OP just said he wasnt lol

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You are not reducing the chips lifespan in any significant way, unless you run 1.5+V through it

yes but for again, my personal opinion, i would want the chip to last without hindrance, even an extra two months of the thing out of a 4 year lifespan id take

Just now, brammokeefe said:

yeah, OP just said he wasnt lol

Even if he doesn't overclock, the 7700K boosts to 4.5GHz on its own, so it performs like an overclocked 6700K out of the box :D

2 minutes ago, brammokeefe said:

yes but for again, my personal opinion, i would want the chip to last without hindrance, even an extra two months of the thing out of a 4 year lifespan id take

The thing is, even if you OC it, chances are that the chip will last more than 7 years

28 minutes ago, brammokeefe said:

temps-3.png

59 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Even if he doesn't overclock, the 7700K boosts to 4.5GHz on its own, so it performs like an overclocked 6700K out of the box :D

The thing is, even if you OC it, chances are that the chip will last more than 7 years

Jayztwocents said he'd had a severely over-clocked processor and without going to back to video to get the accurate information, I believe he said it lasted something like 9 years and i believe he said it was an Intel CPU...

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

In games? No. Gamers Nexus tested Ryzen with 3466MHz DDR4 and the overclocked Ryzen chip was still 10-15% behind the stock 6900K/7700K

When paired with a 1080 ti or so, and assuming a monitor with high enough refresh rate so that it matters.

Depending on the GPU and monitor OP uses, he could quickly end up in a situation where spending more on a CPU yields nothing in gaming performance.

15 minutes ago, ajcroteau said:

Jayztwocents said he'd had a severely over-clocked processor and without going to back to video to get the accurate information, I believe he said it lasted something like 9 years and i believe he said it was an Intel CPU...

No, he said that the motherboard lasted 9 years, the CPU was still fine :D

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

When paired with a 1080 ti or so, and assuming a monitor with high enough refresh rate so that it matters.

Depending on the GPU and monitor OP uses, he could quickly end up in a situation where spending more on a CPU yields nothing in gaming performance.

When paired with a 1080 non TI ;)

Go with Ryzen, you won't be sorry. Sure, it performs SLIGHTLY worse in gaming, but it still performs very well. Small trade off when you consider Ryzen CPUs have double the cores than their Intel price equivalents. Even if you only game, I still wouldn't recommend the 7700k, the difference is so small that it's unnoticeable. You might be happy you had the extra cores down the road, whether programs/games become more multi threaded, or you take up something that you could use the extra power for, like video editing or streaming. Or even hosting game servers or VMs. You never know.

Only case I could recommend the 7700k is if you have a really high end GPU (1080ti) and super high refresh rate monitor. Not that my recommendations mean anything, but still. :)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Thanks for the responses!!! What about the stability of the Ryzen platform? Anybody currently running Ryzen having stability issues being that it's a very new platform...