Turning an old laptop to Plex server

As the title says, I have an old laptop that ran fairly well, only problem being that the screen died, and it wasn't worth replacing. It's been sitting around for awhile now, but I got the idea of using it as a Plex server instead of my primary desktop. 

I can set it up using a monitor obviously, and download directly to it using TeamViewer as my remote controller from my desktop, and then just tuck it in a corner by a switch.

I'm open to suggestions though, and the reason why I am starting this thread in general. I would like to hear your thoughts about it and any suggestions, as I'm sure you all are more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than I am

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

yea that will work,although don't use teamviewer as it allows remote access and can be hacked, use Remote Desktop connection for local only, to access the system via RDC turn it on in your system info and make the system visible on the network, then to connect up to it, locate the system via it's name in network, right click it and select "Connect Via Remote Desktop", make sure the system has a password to prevent unwanted people accessing the system and screwing around with settings and stuff, when presented to provide a logon to the system type: SYSTEMNAME\USERNAME then the password and click ok

i wouldn't recommend to keep the password saved on your system for security reasons

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

8 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

yea that will work,although don't use teamviewer as it allows remote access and can be hacked, use Remote Desktop connection for local only, to access the system via RDC turn it on in your system info and make the system visible on the network, then to connect up to it, locate the system via it's name in network, right click it and select "Connect Via Remote Desktop", make sure the system has a password to prevent unwanted people accessing the system and screwing around with settings and stuff, when presented to provide a logon to the system type: SYSTEMNAME\USERNAME then the password and click ok

i wouldn't recommend to keep the password saved on your system for security reasons

That's a good point, TeamViewer would be available to the internet. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

It will work, just keep in mind that if you have a lot of people connecting at once, it can get really hot with multiple transcodes on a mobile processor.  I'd also get an external drive for the media.

Current Builds:

Purpose (Name): CPU w/ Cooler on Mobo | Memory | GPU | Boot | Storage | Case | PSU | OS | Extras

Gaming PC (Helios):  i7 3770K w/ Corsair H105 on Asus P8Z77-V Pro | 16GB 1866 HyperX Beast | EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 Hybrid | 2x 512GB Crucial MX100 RAID 0 on Intel RST | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1 on Intel RST | NZXT S340 | Corsair AX760 | Windows 10.1

Primary Server (Olympus): Xeon 1270 w/ Corsair H55 on ASRock E3C204-V+ | 16GB Crucial 1333 ECC | EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX2.0+ | OCZ 60GB Vertez+ R2 | Crucial 240GB MX100 | 3.5" WD 600GB Raptor | 2x Seagate 5TB Barracuda on Intel RST RAID 1 | Corsair 200R | Rosewill Quark 650w | Windows 2012r2

Secondary Server (Valhalla): i5 3570K w/ Corsair H55 on Asus P8Q77-M | Samsung 4GB 1333 | Diamond Radeon HD6570 | Samsung 120GB 840 Pro | 4x Seagate 1TB Constellation CS & 2x WD 1TB RE4 in RAID 6 on 3Ware 9650SE-12ML | Antec GX700 | Thermaltake 500w TR2 | Windows 2012r2

HTPC (Bedroom): i5 3450 w/ Silenx EFC-80HA3 on ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 | EVGA GTX 770 FTW | Samsung 120GB EVO | 2.5" WD 1TB Raptor | nMedia HTPC 8000 | Thermaltake 500w TR2 | Windows 10.1

pfSsense (Router): i3 3220 w/ Intel Stock on Supermicro X9SCL+-F | Hynix 8GB 1333 ECC | Intel HD 2500 | Samsung 120GB EVO | 2.5" 750GB Momentus | iStarUSA D-213-MATX-DT | Silverstone 450w SFX | pfSense | Intel ET Dual 1gb RJ45 NIC

Laptop (Mobile): 2015 Apple Mac Book Pro Retina (APLG0RD2LLA)

What os are you considering running the desktop off of? Some already have inbuilt applications for remote desktop. Do you need to expose the remote desktop to the internet.  Also, will the laptop be able to store( have enough sata or usb interfaces for hdd), and transcode the data (is the cpu strong enough for the quality of the encoding you need)?

Laptops as servers work great, since they are relatively low power, already have a battery backup and when you shut the lid and flip them upside down, their thermals are often pretty good too.

Laptops as servers gets you sucked into the home server scene.

On 5/17/2017 at 9:14 PM, samiscool51 said:

The problem with that is that not all versions of windows allow for remote desktop.... plus they can access their plex server via their phone. which can be helpful

You might not be able to transcode more than a one or two media files simultaneously if you are using those low powered CPUs.

It does make a great low powered server though. I have old netbook with N270 atom running FreePBX solidly for nearly 2 years now.

6 hours ago, combine1237 said:

What os are you considering running the desktop off of? Some already have inbuilt applications for remote desktop. Do you need to expose the remote desktop to the internet.  Also, will the laptop be able to store( have enough sata or usb interfaces for hdd), and transcode the data (is the cpu strong enough for the quality of the encoding you need)?

Windows 7 home, so unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use Microsoft's rdp. 

23 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

You might not be able to transcode more than a one or two media files simultaneously if you are using those low powered CPUs.

It does make a great low powered server though. I have old netbook with N270 atom running FreePBX solidly for nearly 2 years now.

I think it has a pentium, I can't remember for sure. I know it's 64bit and I only ever need it to send to one receiver at once. 

Google the Passmark score for the CPU. Plex recommends 2000 points for each 1080p stream. If it's less than 2000 I would avoid using the laptop.

On 5/17/2017 at 0:31 PM, Ginger137 said:

I can set it up using a monitor obviously, and download directly to it using TeamViewer as my remote controller from my desktop, and then just tuck it in a corner by a switch.

I read that wrong at first and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, mathmeister said:

Google the Passmark score for the CPU. Plex recommends 2000 points for each 1080p stream. If it's less than 2000 I would avoid using the laptop.

Little googling later, It's a pentium T4300, scoring a breathtaking 1244 xD

...guess I'll need to keep using my desktop

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

I read that wrong at first and my eyes nearly popped out of my head. xD

Homer-confused.gif?resize=499%2C350