Upgrade Now or Upgrade Later

1 minute ago, aithos said:

Umm... I think you should read my post again because what you said doesn't make sense.  I was telling the OP not to buy a replacement motherboard for his current computer, and I was saying that if he does it will mean less money for his future upgrade and would probably end up buying just the CPU + MB and have to compromise on the quality again.  It's a nasty cycle where you invest money in old technology and end up spending more for lackluster performance because you didn't plan intelligently.

I know, and I was just supporting your comment, while also adding that it's not good to buy old unused mobo+CPU, even if he doesn't have a PC at all. The only option would be for something used and super cheap.

13 hours ago, aithos said:

OP: I wouldn't recommend putting even a single penny into repairing/replacing your current motherboard.  You're wasting money by "saving" for a better upgrade unless you are less than 6 months away from being able to afford an entirely new build.  I also don't recommend upgrading "over time" because you end up paying significantly more by having parts become outdated sooner and needing more frequent updates.

I'm only a part-timer student who earns about 80$ per month when currency is converted and I have to pay some things for my studying needs. So I can't save money easily to upgrade. I'm expecting to have enough money to buy a new i5/ryzen 5 for about 8+ months. 

13 hours ago, walkawalka said:

ryzen 1600 has best value and the stock cooler actually performs quite well. I just did a new build with the 1600 and I am overclocked to 3.95 at 1.356v idle temps 31-35c and after 1 hour of p95 barely hit 70c all on the stock cooler. and here are some benchmarks as you will see the multi core performance is excellent for the dollar value

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Thanks for this. I might get plan to get this as well.

There are three options i might go with
1. Replace the broken motherboard and use it until I can save enough money for a more future proof pc and sell the old parts.
2. Replace the broken motherboard and just build another gaming pc with updated parts.
3. Left it stocked or sell the parts immediately and save until I can buy latest computer parts.

If you have to wait 8+ months to get a Ryzen 5, then either find a used motherboard, or get this new one for 70$ from amazon.com (sold by amazon), unless you find a better deal of course. My advice though is that you don't waste money on getting the whole CPU+motherboard combo, resulting in you getting something not good at all.

By the way, coming from a guy on a Core2Duo, I think you have a good CPU (not to run crysis though :P).

Or you could do without a computer for some time and get the Ryzen faster.

P.S : Ryzen 1400 is not that bad either.

26 minutes ago, elis said:

If you have to wait 8+ months to get a Ryzen 5, then either find a used motherboard, or get this new one for 70$ from amazon.com (sold by amazon), unless you find a better deal of course. My advice though is that you don't waste money on getting the whole CPU+motherboard combo, resulting in you getting something not good at all.

By the way, coming from a guy on a Core2Duo, I think you have a good CPU (not to run crysis though :P).

Or you could do without a computer for some time and get the Ryzen faster.

P.S : Ryzen 1400 is not that bad either.

If I were to buy a motherboard now and save more for later better upgrades I might get Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2 which is just about 50$-ish to where I live.

39 minutes ago, PhyZyx24 said:

If I were to buy a motherboard now and save more for later better upgrades I might get Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2 which is just about 50$-ish to where I live.

Even better. The cheaper the better in this stage.