Dealing with an unavoidably dusty environment?

Go to solution Solved by Nup,

Use some thin tights, no joke. That and some ductape works wonders. maybe even double layer it.

Just cut them up to size along all perforations that are intakes and keep positive pressure. 

So, I'm finally tired of gaming on a laptop and have finally decided to get a new PC in my dorm. The only problem is, there's almost always construction going on around the area, or inside the university itself, which means there's always a lot of dust, sand, and grit in the air.

Now the case I was looking at was a Corsair 100R, and was wondering is there any specific fan set-up that is good at keeping the internals as dust free as possible? Or are there any 'after-market' way's of dust-proofing the case vents?
The method I was thinking about was perhaps a very thin cloth taped to the case where the intake fans are, and preferably washing that cloth every week or two depending on how much dust it captures. I know some cases come with dust filters, but availability and price is a major factor in my region, nevertheless, I would love recommendations for low-medium end cases. Cheers!

yeah a thin,fine cloth should work,also make sure you have more intake fans than exhaust fans to keep the pressure higher inside the case

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

Use some thin tights, no joke. That and some ductape works wonders. maybe even double layer it.

Just cut them up to size along all perforations that are intakes and keep positive pressure. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

why don't you invest in air purifier ?

You can also get screening at your local hardware store Use whatever the finest screaning that they have. I would imagine tights work pretty well too.  For fasting just hole punch where the fan screws need to got through and put it between the fan and case.

2 hours ago, AintGotEnoughSleep said:

So, I'm finally tired of gaming on a laptop and have finally decided to get a new PC in my dorm. The only problem is, there's almost always construction going on around the area, or inside the university itself, which means there's always a lot of dust, sand, and grit in the air.

Now the case I was looking at was a Corsair 100R, and was wondering is there any specific fan set-up that is good at keeping the internals as dust free as possible? Or are there any 'after-market' way's of dust-proofing the case vents?
The method I was thinking about was perhaps a very thin cloth taped to the case where the intake fans are, and preferably washing that cloth every week or two depending on how much dust it captures. I know some cases come with dust filters, but availability and price is a major factor in my region, nevertheless, I would love recommendations for low-medium end cases. Cheers!

Panty hose. Seriously. It works wonders.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

19 hours ago, swizeus said:

why don't you invest in air purifier ?

Well, my dorm isn't too big, and air purifiers would just cost more than a jury-rigged solution   

20 hours ago, AintGotEnoughSleep said:

Water cool the system. No fans at ALL = LESS DUST THAN WITH FANS BETTER YET SEAL OFF AL UNEEDED HOLES> 

i really don't understand how PC's get dusty, it's magic to me. The inside of my little brother's PC is fucking gross, and he has it on a table in open air in a fairly clean bedroom. Whereas my own PC, i smoke like a chimney while sitting 3 feet away from it, in a dusty room, usually burning incense ;) yet the inside of my PC looks like an apple store, always clean and shiny. 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64