Dual boot linux and windows 10

How can i add a dualboot option if i put in a ssd whit linux from a secondary pc

2 minutes ago, DarkAss4ssin1995 said:

@Electronics Wizardy i wnat to make so it givs me a option evry time i boot i can select which os i want to boot

sudo update-grub

sudo grub-install /dev/*

* is where your winows partition is

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

sudo update-grub

sudo grub-install /dev/*

* is where your winows partition is

Tanks for the tip im gona try to use it

1 minute ago, DarkAss4ssin1995 said:

Tanks for the tip im gona try to use it

remember to replace * with appropriate name

2 hours ago, DarkAss4ssin1995 said:

How can i add a dualboot option if i put in a ssd whit linux from a secondary pc

Install both to their own disk in UEFI mode (select the UEFI option when booting the install disk/USB and make sure the drives use GPT partitioning).

Then set the Linux bootloader as default one.

In the case of Ubuntu this should be the grub bootloader which can sideload the Windows bootloader.

On my machine I installed the refind boot manager with a minimalistic theme.

It looks wayyy nicer than the boot manager of GRUB.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Moving an already installed OS to another computer can be a bit complicated - in the case of Linuxes, because of the bootloader installation. Normally during an install this is automated for you.

Just installing the grub mentioned above might not be enough (it might, or might not). You also need to update the EFI entry, and if the grub-install does not take care of that (I really don't know if it will), you need to do it manually (via efibootmgr).

Also, if there are any hw-specific settings on the installation, expect trouble. On Linuxes, this is less of a problem than on Windowses (at least older, pre-7 Windowses - haven't used newer ones), but can still cause problems. In general: don't move an OS to another computer unless you know what you are doing. Or at least don't expect it to work!

On the other hand, you can always attempt it and if it does work, consider yourself lucky and just keep using it ;-)