Upgraded to Fios: Low Download/upload over WiFi

Go to solution Solved by brwainer,

Before, your wifi was significantly faster than your internet, especially when close to the router. Your old internet was bottlenecking the speeds you could get. But now, your internet is so fast that the wifi has become the bottleneck.

Hello, all!

First post on the forums, long time lurker, and faithful watcher of the youtube channels. I decided I needed to seek help since I can't find a solution to my problem anywhere.

First a little background: I used to be an Optimum Online customer and I decided to upgrade to the new Verizon Fios "gigabit" package with TV and internet because 1. My bill was going to be considerably lower and 2. Faster speeds than what I was getting with Optimum (200/35).

While I was on Optimum I was able to reach almost my full download speeds (about 180 to 195) over WiFi with no problem on all of my devices. After upgrading to Fios yesterday and setting my Linksys E8500 as the primary router and the Verizon G1100 as a bridge for the TV and the other features (yes, my FIOS DVR and guide is working perfectly) I'm unable to get anywhere near the speeds I'm paying for over my WiFi.

I hooked up my office laptop to the router and the wired connection gets 850/950 speeds consistently, so there's nothing wrong on their end I'm assuming. But my brother's computer which is only 1 room away the router is only getting 600~/750~, my personal laptop in the same room as the router only gets about 300~/200~, my phone (Galaxy S8) in the same room gets about the same as the laptop, my gaming computer downstairs gets 150/170 while I have the Linksys Max-Stream AC19000+ plug in the same room to boost the 5 GHz signal (I get a 1.3 Gbps network connection) and without it I get 425/223 on an 877.5 Mbps network connection to the router, this is weird to me because with the range extender previously I was able to obtain 180~ download speeds all the time while using Optimum.

I haven't changed any network settings on the router and all the devices are connected to the router at the same exact network speeds as they were during cable internet. I am at a complete lost and don't know why I'm not getting anywhere near the speeds I should be getting with devices that are more than capable of reaching those speeds. I understand that I will lose some speed due to the nature of WiFi, but I shouldn't be losing more than half of my download and upload speeds on several devices.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It's the fact that wireless will never deliver the full speeds shown because it's half duplex meaning it can only transmit or receive at any give time, not both. It might say the connection is 1.3Gbps but you'll generally get about half that if you're very close to the router. 5GHz degrades much faster the further away you are from the router.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It's the fact that wireless will never deliver the full speeds shown because it's half duplex meaning it can only transmit or receive at any give time, not both. It might say the connection is 1.3Gbps but you'll generally get about half that if you're very close to the router. 5GHz degrades much faster the further away you are from the router.

I read that somewhere, but if this is the case, why was I able to obtain my full (or near full) connection speed while I was with my previous provider? Shouldn't I have been getting 100 Mbps down if that was the case and not 195 like I was? 

Before, your wifi was significantly faster than your internet, especially when close to the router. Your old internet was bottlenecking the speeds you could get. But now, your internet is so fast that the wifi has become the bottleneck.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

18 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Ok, this makes sense now.  Guess I have no other option than to run a line straight to my PC downstairs.

Thanks.