Mysterious smoke

FailWhale

So i was sitting and playing  when suddenly I could smell what I thought to be fireworks, until I saw the smoke rising from my computer.

I immediately turned off the computer via the switch on the power supply, stripped my case of all panels to find the culprit. 

After examining the various components I couldn't find anything resembling a burn mark and I couldn't quite smell where the smoke came from.

I did some quick research to and found a lot of forum posts pointing to the PSU. Then I found some white gooey looking stuff inside my PSU, and was wondering if this could be from a blown cap or something.

It should prolly be noted that the computer still seems to be function quite fine and everything is still correctly registered in the bios

IMG_20170513_151859.jpg

Whatever you found inside that PSU, just ignore and don't use it.

You should prepare it for RMA.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Something got damaged inside the power supply. Send it to be replaced under warranty.

Tee white stuff is a somewhat soft, elastic glue which is there to prevent big components from vibrating or breaking off the circuit board during manufacturing and during shipping. The white stuff is unlikely to burn, but some component may be broken inside and some residue remained on the white glue like material. 

So the white stuff is glue, makes sense. But that was the only lead that was pointing to the PSU being the fault?

Thanks for the help, turned out to be the sata connection to my ssd that caught fire