Need New DJ Headphones. Recommendations Please?

Omon_Ra

My DJ headphones have broken and it's time for a new set. My broken ones are the Technics RP-DH1200 and I would love to buy them again, however there are a few problems I have with it. For one, it's discontinued and the new 'updated' model looks nearly identical but costs $250, rather than the $175 I paid for the older versions. And the new ones look nearly identical with no major changes to the design. Mine broke on the right side at the joint that rotates/folds. It's pretty cheap, weak plastic, and when wearing them one-sided, it can torque the headband causing it to crack. I don't think it's worth $250 to have the same thing happen again. So that leads me to looking for a new set of $100-200 over-ear, closed back, studio monitor-style headphones. I'm leaning towards the ATH-M50x's, but I'd like to hear from any actual DJ's that use them and how they hold up. I know lots of people have them, and they come well recommended, but I spin a fair amount; a weekly gig, Twitch streams and then the random house party and other club/bar gigs from time to time, so anyone who has been a little abusive towards their M50x's, I appreciate your input as well.

Edit: I noticed the included coiled cable is a straight plug; are there any replacement right angle cables that can be purchased separately? I can buy a 3.5mm to 1/4" right angle adapters if I have to, I would rather it be just the cable though.

The broken ones :( [sorry for potato quality]

IMG_20170513_0214146.thumb.jpg.d4ee657a129f0ac391bfd6ab37dc5417.jpg

The age old recommendation of the sennheiser HD25 is as valid as ever. On-ear rather than over-ear but they will go chuffing loud and are near indestructible. There are a few variations but they're only superficial changes (e.g. a split headband).

2 hours ago, anothertom said:

The age old recommendation of the sennheiser HD25 is as valid as ever. On-ear rather than over-ear but they will go chuffing loud and are near indestructible. There are a few variations but they're only superficial changes (e.g. a split headband).

I don't like on-ear headphones; they sit on my ears awkwardly and they don't really isolate you from the room noise. The HD7's look good though.

That's a pretty sweet deal actually. $90 for something like that. A headphone like this one would have been $300 6~7 years ago. 

EDIT: The MSRP at launch was $325. I read that somewhere on a blog. Not the most reliable source of info but you get my point. 

8 hours ago, kokakolia said:

That's a pretty sweet deal actually. $90 for something like that. A headphone like this one would have been $300 6~7 years ago. 

EDIT: The MSRP at launch was $325. I read that somewhere on a blog. Not the most reliable source of info but you get my point. 

Yeah, looked up some reviews and the biggest complaint I saw was the price. I can't believe even new they're going for ~$100. I did find a lot more reviews on the HD8's (Linus's is pretty funny looking back at it) rather the 7's, but I'm stoked for em. Thanks for the recommendation. B|