Internet fast enough to stream?

theminnesotanman
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

It depends on the settings of your codec. You can make 1080p60 work on 1.5Mbps, but then it would look like puke.

Basically you don't want your codec compression settings to need more than 6Mbps (but considering this is in a perfect world, it's probably best to lower it to 3-4Mbps).

My current speeds (over Ethernet with Comcast) is roughly 117-120 down and solid at 6 up. Will this be good enough to do a decent 720p60 stream? tried googling this question and could not find a concise answer.

It depends on the settings of your codec. You can make 1080p60 work on 1.5Mbps, but then it would look like puke.

Basically you don't want your codec compression settings to need more than 6Mbps (but considering this is in a perfect world, it's probably best to lower it to 3-4Mbps).

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

so i havent started to stream yet ive bneen looking at getting a streaming computer to start so i just need to fiddle with the codec to get the right settings?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes.

Also I edited my post so feel free to re-read it :)

so because im fairly new. I will change the codec settings in OBS (the software ill be using to stream) and from their just fidget until i get my stream to look right?

Just now, theminnesotanman said:

so because im fairly new. I will change the codec settings in OBS (the software ill be using to stream) and from their just fidget until i get my stream to look right?

Yeah, pretty much. You can use another computer or the same computer (assuming it's connected via Ethernet, if it's Wi-Fi, use another computer) to check on it on whatever streaming service you're using.

Yeah, pretty much. You can use another computer or the same computer (assuming it's connected via Ethernet) to check on it on whatever streaming service you're using.

okay sweet. Just to clarify ill be able to do it as long as i get the settings just right?

Yes. Just don't assume you can use the maximum upload bandwidth.

okay will do <3 thanks for the help. I dropped you a follow in case i need to message you!