desktop in a car

willsamuels

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had install a PC in a vehicle before im sure someone has some insight on this subject

4 minutes ago, willsamuels said:

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had install a PC in a vehicle before im sure someone has some insight on this subject

Well if you mean in a way so you are able to use it while driving then you probably should drop the thought, but for when you are not driving, then all you really have to do is have an inverter from 12v from the cigaret plug to 220V/110V then you can just plug in your desktop and monitor and you're set to go

Depending on where you live, having a computer or any other entertainment device accessible to the driver could be illegal.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

What kind of desktop are we talking about? If it's something small like a mini-ITX board with a lower power processor to act as a head unit, then it should be easy-peasy. You wouldn't need an inverter either if the case uses an external 12V power brick. If you're looking to get say a gaming rig in there, now we run into some issues. Most of the fuses in cars are between 5A and 30A. 30A at 12V is 360W. This is probably enough for a single video card system, but I'm also certain the 12V plug in cars aren't connected to those (probably 15A at most).

It also depends on the vehicle too. If it's an econobox, your electrical options aren't very good. If it's something like an F-150, or a E-350 van you might have more wiggle room.

I was thinking on the power side i could get a marine alternator which is a higher amp alternator and have a deep cycle battery in the trunk so a two battery set up

I have actually installed a itx PC into a car before to run as a head unit. Was great. there are tons of websites that can help you accomplish this if you wish to include wiring of screens and such.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB SL 3600mhz GPU: RTX 3060TI SSD: WD Black 1TB NVME SDD: WD Black 500GB NVME

That sounds very distracting. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

it isn't for me its for my kids and portable dvd player are junk

Get 2 raspberry pi's and 2 cheap screens and ghetto mount them.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

Pigs break the distracted driving law all the time.

15 hours ago, willsamuels said:

it isn't for me its for my kids and portable dvd player are junk

sheild tablet is best for games and cheaper than any car pc. maybe you could turn a phone into a wifi hotspot so the tablets could play some multiplayer games. i dont know what games they could play theres plenty on the store

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

yes it has been done before and it much simpler with step down transformers and prob 1 more car battery in the trunk

and using SSDs over HDD means your PC will be less prone to sudden shocks which can damage the HDDs read/write head

iTX boards can fit into small enclosures and some can just be powered by a laptop adapter.

the only part which need planning is where to mount the monitors and how to hide the wirings

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

A nintendo switch is 300 bucks and runs off of USBC so you could have one of those somehow chained to the back seat.

derp