New 2017 PC Build

Hi all!

Was looking to seek some advice for building a new PC.

I've been looking around a lot of sites and watching a lot of youtube videos with regards to PC builds and benchmarking.

What's caught my eye recently are the ITX builds I've seen a lot of people build on youtube.  I like the compact form factor and like the idea of not having a large PC tower taking up a lot of space (and the possible portability too).

I'll be using the new PC for graphic design, photo editing, video editing and game devving too.  Would it be recommended to go for a more traditional, larger build for power hungry tasks?  Or would an ITX build have enough power to handle graphics intensive work?

Your advice is greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks,

T

how much can you spend?

Pc Specs

CPU: I7 6700k 4.5Ghz  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4  Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100i v2  Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB/Hitachi Deskstar 3TB  Graphics Card: GTX 1080 Founders Edition Case: Corsair 750D Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Keyboard: Corsair k70 Mouse: rival 300 

What's your budget and location? Do you need a keyboard, mouse, monitor, or Windows key?

Hey will2135/Aereldor,

Ahh yeah, sorry, should have included my budget!  Living in the UK just now, I'd say my budget will be around £1000-£1200, but £1500 at the absolute max :)

Already got a Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor (might look into a new 2K/4K monitor though) and will be looking to move to Windows 10 to take advantage of Adobe's newest X D software :)

17 minutes ago, TBisley said:

Hey will2135/Aereldor,

Ahh yeah, sorry, should have included my budget!  Living in the UK just now, I'd say my budget will be around £1000-£1200, but £1500 at the absolute max :)

Already got a Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor (might look into a new 2K/4K monitor though) and will be looking to move to Windows 10 to take advantage of Adobe's newest X D software :)

Ryzen 7 1700 OR 1600 with stock cooler

RX Vega(if you can wait) OR 1070 OR 1080

Gigabyte AB 350 gaming 3

Kingston HyperX predator 3200(It runs at 3200 on the above mobo without any issues)

WD Green 256 GB SSD

WD Blue 1 TB

Seasonic S12 II 620 W PSU

Corsair 270R windowed

Mine is the same PC with 1600 and 1070(Gainward GTX 1070 pheonix which I got for 330$)

And I think it costs around 900

i've been able to pick up an i7 6700k for a little over £200 recently on the used market, always woth keeping an eye on what's out there

Current Specs:

Intel Core i7 6700k

RTX 3060ti

32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000MHz DDR4

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming ATX

Corsair RM850x PSU

Corsair H55

1TB Seagate SSHD

4TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB Hitachi HDD

256GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

BeQuiet Silent Base 800

---------

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Roccat Taito

Xbone Controller

Logitec Z333

Samsung SyncMaster SA10

LG Ultrawide 25"

Thanks for the quick replies so far guys, I really appreciate it and interesting specs suggestions too so far :)

Would you say an ITX build would be too low power/limiting for the type of work I'll be doing?  It's not a deal breaker or anything, but always nice to save a little space :)  Happy to stay clear tho if it's not recommended :)

Absolutely J.Munslow, I think I'll be going on a decent hunt to shave a few pennies off here and there, but willing to put a bit of money in for something that'll last :)

7 minutes ago, TBisley said:

Thanks for the quick replies so far guys, I really appreciate it and interesting specs suggestions too so far :)

Would you say an ITX build would be too low power/limiting for the type of work I'll be doing?  It's not a deal breaker or anything, but always nice to save a little space :)  Happy to stay clear tho if it's not recommended :)

Absolutely J.Munslow, I think I'll be going on a decent hunt to shave a few pennies off here and there, but willing to put a bit of money in for something that'll last :)

ITX is a form factor. So it wouldn't be the limiting factor for your kind of work mentioned. But, for the same price of an ITX mobo you can get much better specced ATX or mATX mobos. Also, you get good ventilation in a bigger case which helps in effective cooling compared to itx and there will be no issues with other parts' dimensions while choosing if it's a ATX OR matx. If I were you, i will get an matx board in an matx case coz it's not so small yet portable and also will have good cooling.

Just now, AkhTwo said:

ITX is a form factor. So it wouldn't be the limiting factor for your kind of work mentioned. But, for the same price of an ITX mobo you can get much better specced ATX or mATX mobos. Also, you get good ventilation in a bigger case which helps in effective cooling compared to itx and there will be no issues with other parts' dimensions while choosing if it's a ATX OR matx. If I were you, i will get an matx board in an matx case coz it's not so small yet portable and also will have good cooling.

Also, ping me if you have got any issues. Happy to help.

Hey AkhTwo, really appreciate the above info!  Wasn't too sure about the differences and really good points, especially with regards to ventilation in a bigger case.  The more I think about it the more I'll want to have a motherboard that gives me more features, but good to know the smaller mobos aren't a factor that'll limit the power :)

Why the hell hasn't anyone made a PCPartPicker list?!

@TBisley- here's a build under 1250 pounds. It's mini-ITX and extremely capable, and features 100% solid-state storage. The motherboard isn't in stock right now, but it should be soon.

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138452

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£297.92 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler  (£42.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Biostar - X370GTN Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (£85.00) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£128.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: OCZ - TRION 150 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£229.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  (£303.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  (£63.05 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.47 @ Amazon UK) 
Other: Windows 10 OEM Key (Kinguin) (£20.00)
Total: £1242.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-09 05:08 BST+0100

17 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Why the hell hasn't anyone made a PCPartPicker list?!

@TBisley- here's a build under 1250 pounds. It's mini-ITX and extremely capable, and features 100% solid-state storage. The motherboard isn't in stock right now, but it should be soon.

https://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138452

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£297.92 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler  (£42.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Biostar - X370GTN Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (£85.00) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£128.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: OCZ - TRION 150 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£229.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  (£303.92 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case  (£63.05 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.47 @ Amazon UK) 
Other: Windows 10 OEM Key (Kinguin) (£20.00)
Total: £1242.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-09 05:08 BST+0100

This is ace buddy, thanks for this!  Will give PC Part Picker a go, I really appreciate all the feedback and information guys, you're all awesome! :D

I would wait for an ITX board that isn't Biostar.