New PC Build, weird problem

Go to solution Solved by thenastyjbenny,
9 minutes ago, Diving Kangaroo said:

-snip-

This may sound redundant, but did you try using a different cable? That wiggling the cable issue sound like a bad GPU or a bad cable.

Hello community and thank you for taking an interest in this issue.

I just build my first computer, when trying to start it up a couple of strange things happened.

First: The Display's used are all tested and working, during building I carefully followed detailed guides, always grounded myself, the parts are compatible with each other(as far as my informations are correct) and the case has no case speaker therfore I dont have information about beep signals.

Please find my system specs below.

Here is what happened chronologically:

1. First start - LED's working, all fan's spinning except graphics card --> issue the display does not receive a signal.

- I shut down the PC and tried it again --> same issue

2. Changed the Display --> same issue

Until now, as I am using a half modular power supply I had the CPU and Graphics Card connected with the black cabeling connected to the modular connectors of the PSU.

3. Researched online for possible causes and solutions.

I decided to remove the black modular cabeling and to try the permanently connected cables for CPU and Graphicscard.

4. Started the system up again and the Display received a signal and turned on, but the picture was full of green lines and then completely greenish, so I turned the PC off.

5. Without any changes started the system again and it started fine, I could access the UEFI without any issues and the screen worked as normal.

In the UEFI everythign seemed ok and thinking things are fine now I decided to check the components as its a new build.

I switched the 2 Ram sticks to check if all 4 slots are working fine and wanted to further investigate the cable issue with the PSU so I plugged the black modular cables back in and connected them.

6. Started the system and again and i had the same issue as initially LED's working, all fan's spinning except graphics card --> issue the display does not receive a signal.

Thinking the cabeling does not work I switched back to the Permanently attached cabeling that worked just a few minutes ago.

7. Started the system and again and now even with this cabeling the display doesn't receive a signal.

8. I unblugged the CPU, Graphics Card and MBO cabeling, removed the Graphics Card and tried the different cabeling (modular and permanently attached) in different compinations a few times to narrow the problem down.

Nothing changed and the issue persisted.

9. Being on the permanent cabeling (the one that worked before) I removed 1 Ram stick and started the system.

Now I had again the same situatiuon as under point 4. The system started up again and the Display received a signal and turned on, but the picture was full of green lines and then completely greenish, so i turned the PC off.

2-3 restarts, all the same.

10. The Display is connected via HDMI cable to the Graphics Card HDMI connector(it has been this way all the time with this diaplay). I carefully moved the cable a little bit around while connected and saw the screen turning normal or back to green depending on how I held it.

I connected the HDMI cable to the Motherboard connector and received no signal at all.

As a last step I plugged the 2. Ram stick back into the MBO (only change)

I started the system up, (again no diaplay Signal...)

I started the system a 2. time (without changes) and it works fine (depending on how i hold the HDMI cable)

Now i am not sure what to do, something does not work correctly, as far as i can tell it could be the PSU, something with the MBO, the Graphics card or a compination of them.

This is where I need you help, what should I do next? Can you narrow down the issue further?

Thank you for your help, i really apprachiate any input.

System Specs:

Case: NZXT S340

MBO: ASUS prime B350- Plus

CPU: Rhyzen 1600 with stock cooler

Graphics Card: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G

Ram: GSkill 2x8GB D4 2133 (C15 GSkill NT K2)

SSD: Samsung 960 EVO M.2. 250GB

PSU:Seasonic Gseries 650W Modular Power Supply

(just in case i am using 1 of the 2 case  fans provided together with the case (120mm) and 1 Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 (140mm), both are connected to the motherboard via the case fan connectors.

The problem seems to be around the GPU or PSU imo.

What I tend to do during these situations is basically take everything out from the chassi and build it on a table where you can see everything and test with ease.

You seem very thorough, that's good.

I feel like it's the PSU if I had to choose one of the two, do you have more than one modular GPU power cord? IS IT ACTUALLY A GPU CORD?

Dunno if you can plug in anything else than that tbh.

Does Ryzen have an iGPU? Try using it if possible, take out the GPU before you do.

Reread this and realized you said you tried it without it working, do it withough the GPU and it should work. PC's tend to proritize and completely ignore the motherboard ports if the GPU is in the system.

Can you possibly test the GPU elsewhere? If you can and it works or not we can rule it out.

I doubt RAM is the issue, doesn't sound like it.

Thank you for the quick response MVPernula,

Please see a picture of the Modular Cables below. Im quite certain this must be the correct cord for the graphics card as it uses the PCI-E slot.

Unfortunately the CPu does not have integrated graphics, therfore I cant do this test and my family and friends close to my place are all using laptops, therfore I can't try the graphics card in a different system, (trying to thing of a way)

(I also tried to start the PC without the graphics card, wont get a picture unfortunately due to the missing integrated graphics)

IMG_1379.JPG

9 minutes ago, Diving Kangaroo said:

-snip-

This may sound redundant, but did you try using a different cable? That wiggling the cable issue sound like a bad GPU or a bad cable.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

WOW, thank you so much @JR8

I would have never expected this, the HDMI cable i used so far perfectly works with my Laptop and the same Display, it also works fine with my TV and Blu-Ray player, but it seemed to cause the issues with the computer, strange.

I used a different cable and it works fine, with or without wiggeling. I even connected the modular cables from the PSU and it workes fine.

So I guess its save to assume it was the cable and I dont need to be worried about the system components even though the cable works fine with other devices?

Just now, Diving Kangaroo said:

WOW, thank you so much @JR8

I would have never expected this, the HDMI cable i used so far perfectly works with my Laptop and the same Display, it also works fine with my TV and Blu-Ray player, but it seemed to cause the issues with the computer, strange.

I used a different cable and it works fine, with or without wiggeling. I even connected the modular cables from the PSU and it workes fine.

So I guess its save to assume it was the cable and I dont need to be worried about the system components even though the cable works fine with other devices?

Yup. That sounds good.

It was the "Wiggling" you described to me that sounded suspicious. It basically told me the GPU was outputting fine. You switching the PSU cables didn't matter, you probably just moved the HDMI enough that it didn't output any image.

Glad I could help. Cheers.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400.