Server Parts as a Desktop Post 1: Windows 10 won't restart

I did some brief searching and some of Googling, but didn't find much. Feel free to link me to something relevant as I would love it.

I have a bunch of spare parts from work that they were happy that I take from a failed datacenter project. I got a (proprietary mounting) dual CPU SuperMicro board with 256GB of DDR3 from a custom 1U chassis. I dropped some cash and put dual e5-2670s in it. 

I put Windows 10 in it and found that everything seemed to run perfectly stable, but the machine won't restart regularly. It has all the updates and newest drivers from SuperMicro. It just hangs on reboot.Shut down is fine though.

I thought the board was faulty at first, but Linux doesn't seem to have this issue.

I went though and turned off a few suggested objects like Fast Boot (I think that is what it was called in Windows).

I moved onto another (SuperMicro) board that I was given that was more ATX(ish) and put it in a case with half the ram and one CPU. I found that it too has the issue! I am not immediately pressed to fix this, but I was thinking if I could resolve the reboot issue, I might build a custom case for the first board, or go buy another board. I have been looking at some Intel boards s2600 (I think was the model ), but the boards I like the most seem to be SuperMicro (PCIE 16 slots and massive amount of DIMMs).

I am tempted to buy another board, but I feel dumb as I will probably have the same issue.

Has anyone here heard of this issue?

The current single CPU system looks like:

CASE: BitFenix NEOS

CPU: e5-2670 v1 w/ Hyper T4 (fits in case)

RAM: 8x16GB

GPU: GTX 970

SSD: Currently 2x850Pro 128 in Raid0

HDD: 3X3TB RAID 5

I don't think windows 10 home supports that much Ram.Correct me if i'm wrong though

My life

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

I don't think windows 10 home supports that much Ram.Correct me if i'm wrong though

^ I'm pretty sure that max is 32GB, even pro max at 64 or 128GB. I would try window server.

Magical Pineapples

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Correct me if i'm wrong though

Since you insisted:

Home 64-bit supports UP TO 128GB.

Pro 64-bit supports UP TO 512GB. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Any 64-bit OS has support for way more RAM than that. The difference between Home, Professional, etc are features but the core OS is the same. 

My goal is to not need to run a server os on a gaming rig as I don't think I need more than 512GB of RAM. I guess the next step is to try out 2012, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of this before I reformat it again.

I built myself a dual E5 2670 server and tried to install Windows 10. Everything was fine for a while until the system started randomly freezing and blue screening. I did some research and as it turned out the motherboard didn't have support for windows 10 (As in it could work but was never tested.) so I rolled back and installed windows 7 and it's been running fine ever since. Try window 7 and see if it behaves. I can tell you Windows 7 Ultimate can handle at least 128GB of RAM.

Also to note if you don't really need Windows 10 as a native OS you could try simulating it in a VM. Don't ask me how well it'd perform.

sounds like an ACPI issue, just keep tinkering in the UEFI and see what you can find. What mode is the OS installed in? (MBR, GPT+UEFI, etc)

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

sounds like an ACPI issue, just keep tinkering in the UEFI and see what you can find. What mode is the OS installed in? (MBR, GPT+UEFI, etc)

Last time I installed the OS, it was MBR. 

• 3 weeks later...

Played around a bit more in the BIOS and got everything running in EFI.  I went to boot the Windows 10 ISO via IPMI  Virtual CD-ROM and found that it wouldn't work in EFI boot, only MBR. I was bored so I installed Server 2016 which booted via IPMI in EFI!

I got all my drivers set and got all my software going and found that it works fine including restart. I wish I knew what the issue was, but I can confirm that 2016 fixed my issue.