GAME: What part of my PC is broken?

TTesla
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Did you manage to complete a memory test which lasted longer then 10 minutes? Did you try a different windows, just to be sure? If not: brick it, and change mobo.

Let's play my favorite little game: Which part of my hardware is broken!

Background: Computer freezes after APPROXIMATELY 10 minutes of use, every time, no matter what I do. I have reinstalled Windows 10 (creators update), reset bios to default, run memory, drive, and temperature checks (all came back fine). I have ran anti-virus and anti-malware, both fine, and I cleaned my registry from "errors" using CCleaner. Still freezing.

Symptoms: Connection drops. Computer freezes, but mouse still able to move. Will stay frozen until I hard shut it down. This freezing will occur even if I don't log in or touch the computer at all.

Game: So which part is responsible?

Extra Credit: How do I fix it?

Thanks for playing!

P.S. I have tried so many things to fix this computer, that this format represents how delusional I am now. So enjoy :P

EDIT: I will keep a running tally of how many times I crash while still trying to solve this issue right here. Freezes: VI

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

well its either the CPU or the Mobo

To test that though you are going to need access to another PC that has a mobo with the same socket type as your CPU. 

Alternatively.....Macs are pretty nice. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I'd use paper and pen to keep track of them crashes.

Did you use a stopwatch or slow motion camera, to confirm it's 10 minutes?

Anyways, I'd gues it's bad memory. You should use memtest to check if the memory is fine. If memtest will run for 11 minutes, try windows 7.

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Macs are pretty nice. 

Dude, dafuq. What?!?

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

memtest

he said he ran that already. Maybe not Memtest86 bust the Windows Mem test tool works just the same. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Dude, dafuq. What?!?

I like Macs man.....

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I'd use paper and pen to keep track of them crashes.

Did you use a stopwatch or slow motion camera, to confirm it's 10 minutes?

Anyways, I'd gues it's bad memory. You should use memtest to check if the memory is fine. If memtest will run for 11 minutes, try windows 7.

To clarify, computer freezes, and then I have to force shut it down. What would win 7 do? I don't have a 7 license, but I have an 8 one handy

Maybe not Memtest86 bust the Windows Mem test tool works just the same

From what I understand of memtest86, it loads outside of windows after a reboot. This would mean there are no other crap things going on in windows 10. Doing a test like this will do a good memory test (for a few hours), and it will be a stability test. (to check if it gets past the 10 minutes mark) If the pc does not crash and reports good memory, I would try a different OS. BEcause the basic hardware seems to be able to function.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

From what I understand of memtest86, it loads outside of windows after a reboot. This would mean there are no other crap things going on in windows 10. Doing a test like this will do a good memory test (for a few hours), and it will be a stability test. (to check if it gets past the 10 minutes mark) If the pc does not crash and reports good memory, I would try a different OS. BEcause the basic hardware seems to be able to function.

In my experience there is nothing Windows cant catch that Memtest 86 can. 

For the stability point maybe, but RAM would be hard pressed to have an issue with it but said issue only occur after hours of continued use. If there was a flaw in the Silicon, or the PCB, the issues would arise fairly quickly.   

1 minute ago, hamzatu2 said:

To clarify, computer freezes, and then I have to force shut it down. What would win 7 do? I don't have a 7 license, but I have an 8 one handy

A different version of windows MIGHT help with driver issues. It comes with other crap, although they are part of the same family. It's worth a try. (if you've got the time) And well, you haven't got much to loose.

Also, I noticed something. Pc crashes after 10 minutes, but you did manage to reinstall and format your drives... How long would that take?

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Alternatively.....Macs are pretty nice. 

have you ever had hardware issues on a mac? if the answer is yes, you wouldnt be saying this..

--

on topic: is it very specificly 10 minutes, or is it "somewhere thereabout" 10 minutes?

some possible culprits:

- unstabile / broken power supply

- faulty mobo (these are always fun to diagnose)

- faulty cpu

- faulty gpu

- faulty ram

- etc.. :P

guessing that the build is the one from your profile, could it be that one of the vareous overclocks you had caused some harm?

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

A different version of windows MIGHT help with driver issues. It comes with other crap, although they are part of the same family. It's worth a try. (if you've got the time) And well, you haven't got much to loose.

Also, I noticed something. Pc crashes after 10 minutes, but you did manage to reinstall and format your drives... How long would that take?

Well the PC only crashes after I boot into OS. I reinstalled and formatted main SSD with windows on a USB

Just now, manikyath said:

have you ever had hardware issues on a mac? if the answer is yes, you wouldnt be saying this..

--

on topic: is it very specificly 10 minutes, or is it "somewhere thereabout" 10 minutes?

some possible culprits:

- faulty cpu

- faulty gpu

- faulty ram

guessing that the build is the one from your profile, could it be that one of the vareous overclocks you had caused some harm?

Approx 10 minutes, will give a more accurate time for the next crash (due in 2 min) as I have a stopwatch going. 

I set bios back to default, so nothing is overclocked.

Me thinks: memory or software/drivers. That's all I have to say. Please quote me when I win the game. (and what is the prize btw?)

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

have you ever had hardware issues on a mac?

Ive had the 2011 iMac and it still runs flawlessly. Although a little slow by my standards due to it still rocking a HDD (I should replace that xD) 

And I currently own a 2016 MBP which doesnt have any issues yet. (Its still possible though) 

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

unstabile / broken power supply

I was also thinking this could be the case. 

1 minute ago, hamzatu2 said:

Approx 10 minutes, will give a more accurate time for the next crash (due in 2 min) as I have a stopwatch going. 

I set bios back to default, so nothing is overclocked.

what happens if you take the GPU out the equasion?

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

From what I understand of memtest86, it loads outside of windows after a reboot. This would mean there are no other crap things going on in windows 10. 

i believe the windows memory diagnostics tool also runs "outside" of windows, meaning that it restarts the computer, then runs a memory test before anything else and restarts again to boot into regular windows after the test passed successfull. similar to what happens when you want to chkdsk your boot drive

that 760 is old, it could be causing something but I doubt. Would probably get something other than the system freezing. 

But hey, we have to troubleshoot now dont we xD

Ive had the 2011 iMac and it still runs flawlessly. Although a little slow by my standards due to it still rocking a HDD (I should replace that xD) 

And I currently own a 2016 MBP which doesnt have any issues yet. (Its still possible though) 

I was also thinking this could be the case. 

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

--

some possible culprits:

- faulty cpu

- faulty gpu

- faulty ram

Froze again, stop watch read 10 minutes, 42.44 seconds

So do with that as you may.

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

"outside" of windows

It does in fact reboot into its own "thing"

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

that 760 is old, it could be causing something but I doubt. Would probably get something other than the system freezing. 

the GPU is the first target because OP has on-board graphics.

Switching right now, will report back in a second

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I have now switched over, and started a new stop watch.

44 minutes ago, manikyath said:

44 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It does in fact reboot into its own "thing"

Still crashed without gpu, so I put it back in since it wasn't the issue. I just updated my chipset driver, so maybe thats it?

If not I started another stopwatch.

I am getting this error now "esrv.exe application error, the app wasnt able to start correct 0xc0000142. click ok to close the app"

Just now, hamzatu2 said:

Still crashed without gpu, so I put it back in since it wasn't the issue. I just updated my chipset driver, so maybe thats it?

If not I started another stopwatch.

I am getting this error now "esrv.exe application error, the app wasnt able to start correct 0xc0000142. click ok to close the app"

Yeah m8....ur buggered