Advice needed on cable management

TheCherryKing

I need advice on the best way to manage the cables in my PC. I just replaced the motherboard and processors but I am still waiting for the memory. The cables in my PC are an absolute mess! I was wondering what are the best ways to manage cables and reduce the chance of a fire?

WP_20170507_14_14_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20170507_14_15_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20170507_14_14_48_Pro.jpg

The problem that many people seem to have with cable management is that they try to route the cable towards the shortest distance to the components as possible on the side where their components are at while leaving it hanging there. This tend to make it look rather messy. By doing most of the routing at the back of the motherboard and only having the cables go out near the corresponding port, you reduce the amount of clutter.

Unplugged everything and route everything to the back of the motherboard tray through the nearest opening. If you need to and the cable is long enough, route it along the corners of the case (take the long path). This will allow the cables to out of sight, as well as it will not obstruct airflow or pick up dust as easy. The only time you want the cables to pop out behind the MB tray is when you plugged it in, and while given it some slack (so you don't stress the connector), you bundle all the excess cables together and zip-tie it to the case out of sight behind the MB tray or drive bay. Avoid overlapping the cables if possible by planning the routing path and doing it in section.

A good example is this image I had found from first attempt at building a computer. See how every PSU cable went immediate through that bottom cable management hole? Or the amount of cables going out for the front panel switch / ports? That should be your goal (of course, if you have like sleeved cables, it will differ as you want to show it off).

Spoiler

9h6YW.jpg

Your modular power supply should have additional strips with SATA connectors, what's the deal with all the molex connectors? I have no molex connectors on my power supply, everything uses SATA.

If you don't have those strips, you could start by replacing those  MOLEX <-> SATA adapters with some strips with multiple SATA connectors, here's some examples:

18 inch Molex 4-pin Male to 3 x SATA Power 15-pin 90-Degree Splitter Cable w/Black Net Sleeved Jacket

Silverstone PP07-BTSBG Sleeved Extension Power Supply Cable with 1 x 4pin to 4 x SATA Connectors