ASUS vs AsRock Best AM4 motherboard

Best AM4 motherboard  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Best AM4 motherboard

• ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional
    • ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero X370

Decided on a Ryzen CPU now looking for a good motherboard. 

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600k | Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3 | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Gaming | Kingston HyperX Red 16GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair CX600 | 
Lian Li Lancool-II white

Laptop: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 (Intel i7, 16GB, RTX 2070) | 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (Intel i7, 16GB, GT750M)

Lots of people swear by the Crosshair.  I'm going for the Asrock X370 Taichi board myself.  How important are the extra 2 SATA ports, AQUANTIA ethernet, and TPM compatibility worth to you?

10 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Lots of people swear by the Crosshair.  I'm going for the Asrock X370 Taichi board myself.  How important are the extra 2 SATA ports, AQUANTIA ethernet, and TPM compatibility worth to you?

Yeah the Taichi is the same PCB as the Professional just those features removed. I believe the price is very similar in the store I am looking to buy. 

10 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

Which one is the cheapest?

Both are the same price. ASUS = $245 and AsRock = $249

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600k | Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3 | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Gaming | Kingston HyperX Red 16GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair CX600 | 
Lian Li Lancool-II white

Laptop: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 (Intel i7, 16GB, RTX 2070) | 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (Intel i7, 16GB, GT750M)

if you are a 'hardcore' overclocker, the ch6h prolly will be beneficial. the UEFI updates on the ASRock seem to be untimely and inefficient.

if looking for moderate clocks, the msi/asus could be a better choice in price and features. my asrock x370 k4 is fine, but for what overall has been done, the simpler b350 boards can do the same at a better cost. if straining for all GHz or dual GPU is needed, then x370.

x370 for 8cores, 6cores

b350 for light clocked 8cores, 6cores and 4cores.

7 minutes ago, airdeano said:

if you are a 'hardcore' overclocker, the ch6h prolly will be beneficial. the UEFI updates on the ASRock seem to be untimely and inefficient.

if looking for moderate clocks, the msi/asus could be a better choice in price and features. my asrock x370 k4 is fine, but for what overall has been done, the simpler b350 boards can do the same at a better cost. if straining for all GHz or dual GPU is needed, then x370.

x370 for 8cores, 6cores

b350 for light clocked 8cores, 6cores and 4cores.

This. The X370 AsRock board BIOSs are an absolute pain to overclock heavily on. The VRM is great, but the BIOS is very unwieldy and a pain in the ass. The Crosshair is much easier to overclock on, the BIOS is excellent.

That said, the AsRock is still a great board in terms of specs, just a pain to work with. To clarify though, I use AsRock boards almost exclusively in Intel builds and haven't had the same BIOS issues, so it's very possible/likely that these issues will be rectified in future BIOS revisions.

In summary, you can't go wrong with the Crosshair motherboards, but there is nothing wrong with the Taichi apart from its painful BIOS.

both boards suck pretty hard. i would get a biostar gt7. way cheaper than both, better vrm than the asus and has dual bios like the gigabyte :P 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I was focused on the AsRock because of the better VRM design. I started my research with the videos Actually Hardware Overclocking made about the different X370 motherboards. I do agree the BIOS in the AsRock is a pain to work with but maybe they will fix it in the upcoming updates. I know ASUS is the more popular board and maybe it will get added features first before the others. 

Both boards are very good but I just cannot make up my mind. The AsRock BIOS is a little annoying but I hope they will fix it. 

Lian Li Lancool-II white

• 2 months later...

What did you end up going with?

I'd just get the MSI x370 gaming pro carbon if I were you, all the Asrock AM4 boards have issues saving the bios properly, as well as resetting it, I've always had issues with Asrock boards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular