Complications

Corey H

Can only get my computer to POST after restarting it a dozen times or so. It's almost as if you have to prime it like some kind of lawn mower.

About around the time that started happening (3-4 weeks ago) my computer froze when I was playing a game and required me to hard-reset it. I did and everything booted up like it should but when I tried to play a game the computer would overheat and shut itself down to prevent any damage. My first thought was the CPU fan or maybe the thermal paste needed replaced. Well the fan is working fine and I've reapplied thermal paste several times after correctly cleaning both the heatsink and CPU with 91% alcohol.

The issue still remained. The CPU fan works, the case fans work, the case to my knowledge, has good ventilation. I've even tried leaving the side door off of the case. It was still overheating and shutting off.

So now, with the issue of having to restart the computer repeatedly to get it to POST I tested the PSU with a new/working one that I just borrowed from a friend since I thought it could of been a glitch in the PSU. The power supply doesn't seem to be the issue because now I can't even get windows to boot and now I'm experiencing other issues like the the BIOS freezing up when attempting to go into advanced mode or resetting the BIOS to factory default settings. I can just let the BIOS idle and it won't freeze and the temps won't go beyond the norm.

Something also worth noting is I'm not overclocking anything.

So what I've tried so far:

• Running memtest overnight to check for bad RAM, no issues found there.
  • Reapplying thermal paste after cleaning both heatsink and cpu with 91% alcohol. Several times.
  • Resetting BIOS to default settings several times. I'm not overclocking anything.\
  • Unplugging the HDD and booting with it unplugged.
  • Used a different, new PSU with the same specifications as the one I own.
  • Tried re-seating everything several times to make sure it wasn't a connection problem.

List of all of the issues I'm experiencing:

• BIOS sometimes freezing when going into advanced mode.
  • BIOS sometimes freezing when resetting BIOS to factory default settings.
  • Computer not POSTing unless you restart it a dozen times+.
  • After inserting a motherboard speaker to listen for beep codes I disconnected all the RAM and I'm still not hearing any beep codes. Which is really odd. (This is one of the things that made me wonder if it was the PSU that had gone bad)
  • When getting the computer to POST windows won't boot. It will also sometimes in the middle of loading windows shut itself off or change to a dark screen and just hang there.

CPU: AMD A10-7870K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

17 minutes ago, Wage said:

snip

Hmm....that sounds like a very severe issue. My first thought was that maybe the motherboard had suffered physical damage possibly from a manufacturing fault that slowly became apparent, like a blown capacitor. I checked a few webpages and came up with this: http://www.pctools.com/security-news/faulty-capacitor-test/ The issues as described are strikingly similar to the ones as described by you. So a good place to start is to look for any blown or dead capacitors on your motherboard. The Website has a list of all the physical signs of a blown MOBO.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

I think bad mobo. I agree with the blown capacitor idea. I have had a mother board sure before and it did similarity things to me as well. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

On 5/6/2017 at 10:06 PM, another random person said:

Hmm....that sounds like a very severe issue. My first thought was that maybe the motherboard had suffered physical damage possibly from a manufacturing fault that slowly became apparent, like a blown capacitor. I checked a few webpages and came up with this: http://www.pctools.com/security-news/faulty-capacitor-test/ The issues as described are strikingly similar to the ones as described by you. So a good place to start is to look for any blown or dead capacitors on your motherboard. The Website has a list of all the physical signs of a blown MOBO.

Those are certainly the symptoms I'm experiencing.

After carefully looking over the motherboard I didn't see any signs of wear/tear or anything that looked out of place with the capacitors.

well..usually when the board doesnt beep without ram, the board's faulty.

• 1 year later...

Update: I've since replaced the motherboard on this system after it died on me completely. The new mobo solved every single issue, I'll likely never know what it was that went bad with that board but it was an experience let me tell you. I hold grudges.

Likely a bad board however a bios update may help. My cousin had a similar issue where his computer would get far to hot and shut off, ended up being that he needed to update his drivers and windows and that fixed everything for him

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

On 8/9/2018 at 9:57 AM, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Likely a bad board however a bios update may help. My cousin had a similar issue where his computer would get far to hot and shut off, ended up being that he needed to update his drivers and windows and that fixed everything for him

Unfortunately it was the end of life for that board, the problems that came with it persisted before and after a full update on the bios. I'm just grateful that it didn't ruin any of my other components. Good riddance.