Mayhems Biocide Extreme = PETG tubing?

Hey guys,

Simply I made a build about a month back with hardline PETG tubing. After reading that Nickel + Silver kill coil in the same loop can run into problems, I decided to just run pure distilled water + 1 drop of Mayhems Biocide Extreme. Anyway I was doing another build today and I noticed the bottle saying it's not compatible with PETG tubing? I was wondering what exactly can happen to the PETG tubing ? I have used 1 drop for about 1.5 Litres of water so it's very small amount and I haven't noticed any plasticizing, cloudiness etc pretty much looks like the day I filled it.

So yeah I was simply wondering if there is a long-term chemical reaction or if anybody has done this and experienced negatives etc? 

16 minutes ago, Zac w said:

Hey guys,

Simply I made a build about a month back with hardline PETG tubing. After reading that Nickel + Silver kill coil in the same loop can run into problems, I decided to just run pure distilled water + 1 drop of Mayhems Biocide Extreme. Anyway I was doing another build today and I noticed the bottle saying it's not compatible with PETG tubing? I was wondering what exactly can happen to the PETG tubing ? I have used 1 drop for about 1.5 Litres of water so it's very small amount and I haven't noticed any plasticizing, cloudiness etc pretty much looks like the day I filled it.

So yeah I was simply wondering if there is a long-term chemical reaction or if anybody has done this and experienced negatives etc? 

It's not best to run mayhems extreme biocide with nickel, as it's copper sulfate based you want something like petra clear PT nuke which will not react with nickel. As for PETG I don't know why exactly it wouldn't be compatible other than potentially being slightly acidic as it's copper sulfate. 

Mayhems Coolants Tubing Compatibility Chart

Mick (owner of Mayhem's) said it causes microfracturing of the tubing over time.  They are pretty good about in house testing

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

4 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Mick (owner of Mayhem's) said it causes microfracturing of the tubing over time.  They are pretty good about in house testing

Okay thats good to know, problem is I gave it to my brother and he wont be changing the fluid for about 6 months. I was going to get proper coolant. I hope it will be good until then ?

1 hour ago, Zac w said:

Okay thats good to know, problem is I gave it to my brother and he wont be changing the fluid for about 6 months. I was going to get proper coolant. I hope it will be good until then ?

I honestly have no idea

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

12 hours ago, Zac w said:

Hey guys,

The slightly acidic conditions dehydrate PETG, causing it to compress slightly and eventually crack. One drop shouldn't cause this in a short period of time, but left in long enough it will technically happen eventually. Exactly how long that will take is hard to say, and Mayhems themselves would probably be able to give you a clearer idea because they will know the exact quantity of copper sulphate and anything else contained in the biocide.

At the absolute least you should flush the system and install new tubing when you drain the loop next, but personally it's not something I'd leave to chance without first checking with the manufacturer.