Ryzen 1700x at 80 degrees while in BIOS

so, i just finished building my new pc.

but when i first get into the bios it immediately reports my CPU being at 80 degrees Celsius. so i updated my BIOS in the hope that it would fix it. but nope, issue still remains. what makes it even weirder is that when i am in the BIOS for a few minutes the temperatures only get lower until they reach a temperature of around 75. it looks like my temps are inverted though i am not sure that is the actual case. So my question was if any other users are experiencing the same issue. and if there might be a software fix for it.

if not i think i will have to RMA some parts but i am not sure which. because of my understanding the CPU does these temperature measurements. but the motherboard displays them. so if there is no software fix. which of the 2 should i RMA. or should i RMA them both?

What do the temps say when in windows?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

i havent installed windows quite yet because it comes in tomorrow and i got an OEM version. from my understanding the OEM will be linked to my motherboard, i would rather not risk having to buy a new windows because i RMAd my motherboard and got a new one.

the specs are:

Ryzen 7 1700x

Asus Prime X370-pro

Asus Rog Strix 1070 (OC version)

kingston HyperX savage SSD (480GB)

WD Black HDD (2TB)

RM750x Power supply

16GB of kingston Hyperx Fury RAM (2x8)

NZXT Kraken X41 AIO Watercooler (with AM4 bracket)

and i used the stock thermal paste that was applied on the Kraken X41

16 minutes ago, Gameking002 said:

i havent installed windows quite yet because it comes in tomorrow and i got an OEM version. from my understanding the OEM will be linked to my motherboard, i would rather not risk having to buy a new windows because i RMAd my motherboard and got a new one.

the specs are:

Ryzen 7 1700x

Asus Prime X370-pro

Asus Rog Strix 1070 (OC version)

kingston HyperX savage SSD (480GB)

WD Black HDD (2TB)

RM750x Power supply

16GB of kingston Hyperx Fury RAM (2x8)

NZXT Kraken X41 AIO Watercooler (with AM4 bracket)

and i used the stock thermal paste that was applied on the Kraken X41

Ryzen X series CPUs report temperatures 20 degree higher, because of XFR.

yeah. but usually you would be around 30 degrees celsius ambient temp. (at max.) plus the 20 degrees would land you at 50 degrees. not 80 degrees. and that would not explain the temperature going down when on for a few minutes

2 minutes ago, FTL said:

Ryzen X series CPUs report temperatures 20 degree higher, because of XFR.

That's been fixed in BIOD updates. My AMD software reads the same temp as Corsair.

28 minutes ago, Gameking002 said:

so, i just finished building my new pc.

but when i first get into the bios it immediately reports my CPU being at 80 degrees Celsius. ...snip...

Have you ensured the heatsink is properly attached? It might not be making proper contact, or possibly your pump is fubar. Can you hear the pump running?

ill see if my pump is running. but still. i thought in the bios the cpu is not being used that much. surely not enough to land it at 80 degrees. will check anyways

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

That's been fixed in BIOD updates. My AMD software reads the same temp as Corsair.

Have you ensured the heatsink is properly attached? It might not be making proper contact, or possibly your pump is fubar. Can you hear the pump running?

He said 80C in the bios, which AMD did not "fix". It is only fixed in some programms. (I think)

Never ending stories with AMD CPU's compatibility.......

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

i can hear the pump running. but something even weirder shows up. i havent noticed it before for some reason but my Core Voltage runs at 0.7 volts. while it shoud be around 1.4. i am running default settings. no overclocks.

so, ive decided to RMA, but which one should i RMA, CPU, Motherboard or both?

because i found that such issues cannot be fixed through software/firmware

7 minutes ago, Gameking002 said:

so, ive decided to RMA, but which one should i RMA, CPU, Motherboard or both?

because i found that such issues cannot be fixed through software/firmware

CPU runs at lower voltage and speed when it's not under load

yes, but not half of what the recommended voltage is i suppose

Did you remove the plastic from the heat sink? Common mistake. 

PC || CPU - Intel i5-4690k || Motherboard - MSI Z97 SlI Krait || CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Nepton 240M || RAM - 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix @ 1600MHz || Graphics card - MSI TwinFrozr V R9 390 || Storage - Samsung evo 250gb and Seagate 2TB HDD || PSU - Cooler Master G550M || Case - NZXT H440

Yes, I have indeed removed the plastic correctly. But the point I am trying to make. The cooler doesn't really matter. The first boot ever of this pc with no load on the cpu what so ever. And it lands at 80 degrees immediately. And then usually the cpu heats up. But no my cpu does the opposite. It cools down. And the cpu vCore is at 0.7 instead of the ~1.4 it should be. Yes I know voltage will drop when not under load. But not by these large amounts.

so that is why I want to RMA. But I am not sure if the issue is with the cpu recording the temps or with the motherboard displaying. And I'm not sure about that voltage thing either. So should I therefore RMA my CPU or Motherboard? Or both?

If it's immediately at 80c, something else is going on.  And by that I mean cold boot straight into BIOS.  What are your other CPU sensors reading? You are aware the BIOS Cpu sensor isn't an on chip sensor, it's the one under it on the motherboard.  

If you have access to Windows 10 Pro and a 32gb Flash drive, you can make Windows to Go, and boot from USB.  From there, check the temps using HWInfo or Ryzen Master utility.  

Honestly, I bet you're dealing with a faulty motherboard sensor rather than a bad CPU. CPU load is almost nothing during an install, so might as well install windows 10 and keep a nose open for that oh-so-identifiable smell of electrical smoke.

Also, during windows 10 install, for the "RMA" worry, press Skip (I don't Have one, select correct version) don't enter a product key and skip the microsoft account login.  This will keep your key from being registered.

I don't know of i have Any other cpu sensors. At least not any that the motherboard reports. I am now in the process of installing Windows home without key to check the temps (win. Pro comes in this afternoon). And is there any way to configure the sensor. Because otherwise I have the potential of booting with the cpu temperature error straight from bios.

just another question. Is the thermal throttling based on this motherboard sensor or an on board CPU one?

and the fans, will they be adjustable to where I have them spinning under load? Because currently they are based off of that faulty sensor.

and one more. The issue with the voltage. Is it just adjusting the voltage in the bios or will it fix itself once Windows is installed. I guess I'll have to see for that last one when Windows is installed...

ill keep you noticed

Okay... I suppose first few times were just faulty measurements because I just booted into bios again and no issues at all. Seems to run normal. Still goes down to 0.8 volts but I guess that is normal?

anyways. The bios still reports around 70 degrees after few minutes (this time starting properly at around 30) 

but I am running the 0604 bios from asus. But is the temperature offset accounted for in that bios revision or not? Because if it isn't then everything is fine. If is has been accounted for, well then my CPU is running extremely hot and it could still form an issue...