[deleted]

Go to solution Solved by arbitraryusername123,

I update Windows on the Insider track not to get virus protection, but to get the feature set. I also know that there is no virus on the computer because I've had the laptop for 3 days and on my other computers which I've had for 5+ years I've never gotten a virus before.

@2bitmarksman I can get cmd up, yes, but all of the commands that I've found online to fix the issues don't work because of Win10's new admin programs and stuff.

15 minutes ago, arbitraryusername123 said:

I recently got a new laptop, an Acer Swift 3 running Windows 10. I was using it normally, and had uninstalled most of the bloatware and junk that Acer dumps on it when you first buy it. I'm also in the Windows Insider Program, and as this was a new laptop and I did not know how stable it was, I put it on the Windows Insider "slow" track that you can find in settings. After an update attempted to install today, however, it bricked the laptop by going in an endless series of reboots, with each time rebooting to a little action message stating that "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." After a bit of online research, I found that this message displayed the most on a Windows upgrade (i.e. complete version, like Vista to 7 or 7 to 8), and that most suggested either using cmd to modify some settings in some admin passwords and the other in the account creation wizard. However, both of those methods didn't work after the steps where you are supposed to enter the program's name. The cmd just ran and made a new prompt in the line below with no action taken. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I don't know what build of Windows it was, but I'm pretty sure it was on the Creators Update or newer before the update bricked it.

Don't waste time.

Format and re-install.

It's faster than troubleshooting

IF you are not familiar with this, you probably have a recovery session ( google it, like "hp recovery laptop " and they will tell you what button to press on the boot of ur laptop) and it will prompt a recovery option.

14 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

He's right..too many mumbo jumbo and no guarantee it will succeed.

If i were u i will re-install the windows and then disable the windows update service.. who needs windows update?

Been disabling it since windows xp and never got any problem
-L.Lawliet

It actually a good idea to update, I never had issues with windows updates, I have window pro on my desktop and home on my laptop, I defer updates on my desktop but he laptop gets the most up to date updates and i have issues. You should update windows at least to get security patches ...

You shouldn't convince people not to update their machines, updates to softwares/firmware are there for a reason. 

You may be tech savvy person, but in most use case you should update your windows to keep window secure, window defender(w10 version), ad blocker such as uorgin and malwarebtyes seem decrease the amount of virus restoration. It hard to convince people to spend money on backup solution but selling them malwarebtyes 1 year key is not hard. 

24 minutes ago, arbitraryusername123 said:

I'd really rather not do that if I can avoid it. Thanks!

It sounds like a new update anyways ... so just backup data on USB or portable hard drive or google drive etc. You could try enterprise edition of windows, as I am currently install that to all my new machine i help setup and I would switch but downtime and the fact I just really lazy. If it works why try to change it. 

Magical Pineapples

5 hours ago, L.Lawliet said:

Yes it might be true but i am fine without update tbh i use an updated anti virus (avast) been serving me well since the first time i bought it.

Windows update sometimes just screwed my PC as i use a very specific software for work like flashing software that requires a dongle and they will mess with it. Looking at you windows defender.

Or sometimes just make it crashes or worse.

But in fact a lot of people got a problem with windows update.

Its kinda personal preference on this so yeah.

Updating your anti virus wont help when the backdoor/rootkit is built into your computer. 

Yea i know a lot of people have problems with the update, a lot doesn't mean everyone. Than i would suggest using Enterprise version you control the update and have recovery/back of your OS and you can just rollback updates. 

Magical Pineapples

22 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

Wont be a problem for me since virus can be easily identified nowadays.

Lol of course its obvious.

I think i am fine with mine.

Im not talking about the virus, talking about os vulnerabilities.  

Magical Pineapples

@arbitraryusername123 Can you get a CMD or ideally a powershell console? Or can you boot into safemode? If you can get a powershell console you should be able to uninstall them using the things found here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4197.how-to-list-all-of-the-windows-and-software-updates-applied-to-a-computer.aspx
https://www.ghacks.net/2014/08/18/how-to-uninstall-windows-updates/

Also found an article specific to your issue here (I know it says windows server 2012 r2 but it should be a similar process):

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/36400.windows-server-20082012-incl-r2-uninstall-updates-while-your-machine-is-in-reboot-loop.aspx

@L. Lawliet you can't defer updates in Windows 10, and I don't have a backup or system restore point because the laptop is so new.

I update Windows on the Insider track not to get virus protection, but to get the feature set. I also know that there is no virus on the computer because I've had the laptop for 3 days and on my other computers which I've had for 5+ years I've never gotten a virus before.

@2bitmarksman I can get cmd up, yes, but all of the commands that I've found online to fix the issues don't work because of Win10's new admin programs and stuff.