Gtx 1080 ftw high temps?

Thomas_Bit

Hello guys I bought a gtx 1080 ftw edition from eu.evga.com 1,5 months ago (came with thermal pads and bios update) and I think my temps are a bit high. Running heaven benchmark 4.0 while the card is on stock settings results into about 82 degrees and 85% fan speed. Is this normal?
I have an h440 v2.0 case with the 4 stocks fans which I think is to blame for the bad temps. Here is a picture of my case. Also the E letter is a lot brighter than the others and there is weird fan noise when the speed is at 55-60%. Any thoughts on that? :(

18309071_10155299544554771_1464518498_n.jpg

The 1080's are hot cards..

I had the same problem so I made a costum fan curve! Set it to 100% fan speed when it hits 80c and you're fine.

The fan setup is not likel to be the problem tbh.

Can you elaborate about the fan noise at 55-60%?

What does it sound like?

well...if you want to know for sure if your case is to blame run the same test in the same conditions but with your side panel open and you'll see how much better it could be in a well vented case...it's normal that the card run a couple degrees higher in a closed case...but if it's like 8 or 10c higher then yeah your airflow is pretty bad.

Also, about temps...i have a windforce GTX 1080 and on stock in run at 72c and 60% fanspeed in heaven when i run it for a long time...i think you probably have a thermal paste issue or something...when you say your card is on stock settings this also include power limit and voltage at stock? like...100%?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

The 1080's are hot cards..

well...i would kind of disagree about that...GTX 1080 is a mid-range, mid-size GPU....at 314mm² and around 175W of power consumption it should not be very hard to keep it cool in normal conditions...trust me i come from a GTX 980ti which is a 610mm² die that consume roughly 300W with a slight overclock...it's a whole other level of ''hot cards'' ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

well...i would kind of disagree about that...GTX 1080 is a mid-range, mid-size GPU....at 314mm² and around 175W of power consumption it should not be very hard to keep it cool in normal conditions...trust me i come from a GTX 980ti which is a 610mm² die that consume roughly 300W with a slight overclock...it's a whole other level of ''hot cards'' ;)

Aaalright aaalright I get it :P

But I'm a performance guy with a silence goal. I run triple intakes at static speeds, pretty high speeds tbh, and triple exhaust at lower rpms and my card gets pretty hot.

Even if I crank it up to the max it remains pretty toasty, might have bad thermal paste on it but it runs :D

It should run cooler than that ... It's not founders edition lol

About fan noise .... probbably bad fan bearing at those settings.

I had the same problem on my R9 390 nitro ... at 40% fan speed it was making weird noise, but when I changed it to 42% it way okay.

Just make custom fan curve and jump from 55 to 65% fan speed, so you avoid the bad fan bearing speed.

You can also send it for RMA.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

21 minutes ago, Thomas_Bit said:

gtx 1080

21 minutes ago, Thomas_Bit said:

Running heaven benchmark 4.0 while the card is on stock settings results into about 82 degrees and 85% fan speed

Yes, I wouldn't worry one bit.  Those are some completely fine temperatures.

Just now, MVPernula said:

Even if I crank it up to the max it remains pretty toasty, might have bad thermal paste on it but it runs :D

probably yes...

you know, what i've found works best on mine is limiting power limit to 90% (i know it sounds stupid but let me elaborate)

By doing so, you're forcing the card to use less power...which will turn out to push slightly lower clockspeed...about 50 to 80mhz or so (at least on my card) but in return if you push your ''overclock'' you know the core clock slider higher than you normaly would...add say a 35mhz+ on top to what you're using at 100%...and boom...my card boost to around 1950mhz with 90% and in games it never break the 70c mark...with 58% fanspeed...this is the hottest i've seen...and the max stable boost my card can hold stable is around 2000mhz...so i'm really not loosing much performance...and it run around 3-5c lower.

Well on 100% the fans are extremely loud, and there is a weird noise when the fans are about 60% not when it's higher or lower, if I remove the side panel the temps are bit better around 77c. 

I had a 1080 FTW, that ran hot and loud too. 81c at 90% fan speed which is 3000rpm. Airflow wasn't a problem either. I ended up returning it. Thermal paste most likely wasn't applied correctly, probably the same for you.

2 minutes ago, Cartoons Plural said:

I had a 1080 FTW, that ran hot and loud too. 81c at 90% fan speed which is 3000rpm. Airflow wasn't a problem either. I ended up returning it. Thermal paste most likely wasn't applied correctly, probably the same for you.

This is what I thought too, I have some mx-4 that I used for my cpu and I have applied tim on gpu before, should I try that? I hope it doesn't void the warranty.

Just now, Thomas_Bit said:

This is what I thought too, I have some mx-4 that I used for my cpu and I have applied tim on gpu before, should I try that? I hope it doesn't void the warranty.

with EVGA...like...nothing void the warranty...i would try it honestly...MX4 is great for GPU's...it's worth giving it a shot if you have the proper philip screwdriver...do not overtighten the screws to make sure you don't strip them (costly mistake that ended up costing me my 980ti...long story...just be careful...these cards are fragile...make sure you don't scratch anything on the card and it'll be fine)

6 minutes ago, Thomas_Bit said:

There is no way to void EVGA warranty xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Also, unless it throttles, I personally wouldn't give a damn.  It may be slightly more likely to fail, but I can't remember the last time an internal component failed me......

6 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

Also, unless it throttles, I personally wouldn't give a damn.  It may be slightly more likely to fail, but I can't remember the last time an internal component failed me......

I am more worried about what will happen in summer when the ambient temps are about 40 degrees and that the fan noise is kinda high.

the h440 is known for poor airflow, could be one of the issues.

By the way this is the sound I was talking about : from 0-0:14 (fan 63%) 0:14-0:28 (fan 68%) 0:29-0:41 (fan 63%)

After changing the stock thermal paste to mx-4, unigine heaven runs 71 Degrees at 62% fan speed from 82 Degrees and 85% fan speed.