6900k trying to push for the magic 4.5

got a 6900k recently and i have been OC-ing. i currently have it stable at 4.4ghz @ 1.335 VCore. I am running on a Asus Rampage V 10th edition.

other settings are:
Cache 35
Cache voltage 1.15
LLC 6

RAM is corsair dominator 32GB (16x2) @ 3200mhz @ 1.35V (stock)

also my workloads are not particuarly intensive and i am using a predator 360 AIO w GPU loop.

I am trying to get to 4.5 just for the kicks, so far i have tried up to 1.39 which could successfully boot but i was unsure of testing it since the voltage is a bit high. i've read over various forums and so far i understand the consensus for 24/7 use it is good to keep it under 1.35V, is this right?

does anyone have any tips on what other settings i could change to push for that magic 4.5?

Just now, Clarifiante said:

got a 6900k recently and i have been OC-ing. i currently have it stable at 4.4ghz @ 1.335 VCore. I am running on a Asus Rampage V 10th edition.

other settings are:
Cache 35
Cache voltage 1.15
LLC 6

RAM is corsair dominator 32GB (16x2) @ 3200mhz @ 1.35V (stock)

also my workloads are not particuarly intensive and i am using a predator 360 AIO w GPU loop.

I am trying to get to 4.5 just for the kicks, so far i have tried up to 1.39 which could successfully boot but i was unsure of testing it since the voltage is a bit high. i've read over various forums and so far i understand the consensus for 24/7 use it is good to keep it under 1.35V, is this right?

does anyone have any tips on what other settings i could change to push for that magic 4.5?

If you're already above the recommended voltage, don't risk it. It's not worth making magic blue smoke come out of your CPU for an extra 0.1 ghz. I wouldn't bother even if you weren't. It's only 0.1 ghz, it really won't make too much of a difference.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

4 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

If you're already above the recommended voltage, don't risk it. It's not worth making magic blue smoke come out of your CPU for an extra 0.1 ghz. I wouldn't bother even if you weren't. It's only 0.1 ghz, it really won't make too much of a difference.

1.4 is considered perfectly normal for a 24/7 OC. Worrying about a slight voltage increase significantly affecting the lifetime of a CPU is like worrying about a tower cooler destroying your motherboard; it seems like a reasonable possibility, everyone worries about it, and it never happens.

Just now, Nimrodor said:

1.4 is considered perfectly normal for a 24/7 OC. Worrying about a slight voltage increase significantly affecting the lifetime of a CPU is like worrying about a tower cooler destroying your motherboard; it seems like a reasonable possibility, everyone worries about it, and it never happens.

1.4 is NEVER considered a safe voltage for 24/7 usage on INTEL.

AMD on the other hand 1.45 is perfectly fine and some people even push to 1.5 

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

3 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Uh no 1.4 is a pretty big 24/7 OC. Not worth the risk to OC further. And no, it happens. Just not at as high of a rate as most people think.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Yes, I know. It's not a super ridiculous 24/7 OC. But, still not worth the risk. And no, it happens. Just not at as high of a rate as most people think.

1 minute ago, Jrock said:

1.4 is NEVER considered a safe voltage for 24/7 usage on INTEL.

AMD on the other hand 1.45 is perfectly fine and some people even push to 1.5 

I can't find a single failure caused by 1.4V (or even slightly higher). Overclocking causing damage comes from competitions where 1.8+ is common. Often enough the board fails before the CPU. 

Siliconlottery also sells its CPU's binned at 1.44V.

Just now, Nimrodor said:

I can't find a single failure caused by 1.4V (or even slightly higher). Overclocking causing damage comes from competitions where 1.8+ is common. Often enough the board fails before the CPU. 

Siliconlottery also sells its CPU's binned at 1.44V.

Still, you've gone far enough. 1.4 ghz is a damn good 24/7 OC, and if I were you, I wouldn't push it any further.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

The first thing you should do is set your cache to 4.4 and see if you can go higher/tighter on the memory.

Edit: I see you are 125×35.

thanks for the answers guys. i think the voltage v speed benefit ratio is terrible. i have to raise it by 0.6 volts for a measly 100mhz. i don't think it is worth it. i will be keeping it at 4.4@1.335V for 24/7 use. i think it is a decent overclock for this chip.

also do you think increasing the cache is of any use? 

1 hour ago, Clarifiante said:

thanks for the answers guys. i think the voltage v speed benefit ratio is terrible. i have to raise it by 0.6 volts for a measly 100mhz. i don't think it is worth it. i will be keeping it at 4.4@1.335V for 24/7 use. i think it is a decent overclock for this chip.

also do you think increasing the cache is of any use? 

Other then generating a ton of heat, overclocking cache usually is not worth the heat and energy consumption. You might have some gain in some workloads, but the diminishing returns are real. If you do decide to overclock your cache try to keep the voltage below 1.35v unless your cooling solution can handle the dissipation. 

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master