adaptive vertical sync

Natan77

am am running a GTX 1070 i7 6700k with a crappy 60 hz monitor and set vertical sync to adaptive in the nvidia control panel, and turn v sync off. I don\t notice tearing, If I buy a non gsync monitor would I notice any tearing with adaptive sync? I will either do 1080p 144 hz or 1440p 144hz.  

8 minutes ago, Natan77 said:

am am running a GTX 1070 i7 6700k with a crappy 60 hz monitor and set vertical sync to adaptive in the nvidia control panel, and turn v sync off. I don\t notice tearing, If I buy a non gsync monitor would I notice any tearing with adaptive sync? I will either do 1080p 144 hz or 1440p 144hz.  

If you want to use Adaptive sync, you need a monitor with G-sync (aka freesync for AMD/adaptive sync for Intel). Also, are you sure you're not using adaptive V-sync rather than adaptive sync? Without a G-sync monitor, you shouldn't be able to turn adaptive sync (AKA G-sync) on. 

Edit: I need to learn to read...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If you want to use Adaptive sync, you need a monitor with G-sync (aka freesync for AMD/adaptive sync for Intel). Also, are you sure you're not using adaptive V-sync rather than adaptive sync? Without a G-sync monitor, you shouldn't be able to turn adaptive sync (AKA G-sync) on. 

He's talking about Adaptive V-Sync

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If you want to use Adaptive sync, you need a monitor with G-sync (aka freesync for AMD/adaptive sync for Intel). Also, are you sure you're not using adaptive V-sync rather than adaptive sync?

The OP has acknowledged that they're using V-Sync:

"[...]and set vertical sync to adaptive in the nvidia control panel[...]" and also the title itself "adaptive vertical sync".

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Glenwing said:

He's talking about Adaptive V-Sync

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

The OP has acknowledged that they're using V-Sync:

"[...]and set vertical sync to adaptive in the nvidia control panel[...]" and also the title itself "adaptive vertical sync".

Whoops, misread it xD 

On a side note, do I really need 2 mods correcting me on the same issue? :P 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Whoops, misread it xD 

On a side note, do I really need 2 mods correcting me on the same issue? :P 

I had no idea Glenwing was in the thread. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

in the manage 3d settings vertical sync is set to adaptive my monitor is the LG flatron w2453v nothing special. 

@Godlygamer23 @Glenwing

This was the bit that probably confused me...

10 minutes ago, Natan77 said:

If I buy a non gsync monitor would I notice any tearing with adaptive sync?

Didn't specifically state adaptive V-sync :P 

Anyway, if you want adaptive sync with your 1070, you need a G-sync monitor and if you're talking about adaptive V-sync, you shouldn't notice any screen tearing as it should still be limiting to the refresh rate of your monitor although you may notice a little bit of input lag. 

If you have a 60 Hz monitor:

Adaptive V-Sync:

• While framerate is above 60 fps, V-Sync is on, eliminating tearing
  • While framerate is below 60 fps, you have nothing, V-Sync is off and tearing is possible again
  • Can be used on any screen

G-Sync:

• While framerate is above 60 fps, V-Sync is on, eliminating tearing; (Same behavior as when using Adaptive V-Sync; but FastSync may also be chosen instead of normal V-Sync)
  • While framerate is below 60 fps, G-Sync takes over, eliminating tearing in that range
  • Can only be used with G-Sync screen

You also have the option of running G-Sync alone (no V-Sync activation above 60 fps), which will make tearing possible again.

Looking at the page from Nvidia, it pretty much automatically turns vsync on when the FPS are high, and off when the FPS is low:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync

So it should be just fine on any screen.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

so even tho I have v sync turned off in game settings. having vertical sync set to adaptive in the nvidia control panel. basically makes it the same thing as having v sync on in game? 

Just now, Natan77 said:

so even tho I have v sync turned off in game settings. having vertical sync set to adaptive in the nvidia control panel. basically makes it the same thing as having v sync on in game? 

Yes, because the drivers override the game setting unless you set it to obey the game setting.

Side question.
While gsync is nice to have. As long as I dont go below the refresh rate of my monitor, I should be good without it? Although I hear that if you turn on the sync so that you wont get tearing, you'll be laggy?
Basically, if I get a $200 monitor over a ~$400 one, will I have a bad time?

6 minutes ago, Rakso said:

Side question.
While gsync is nice to have. As long as I dont go below the refresh rate of my monitor, I should be good without it? Although I hear that if you turn on the sync so that you wont get tearing, you'll be laggy?
Basically, if I get a $200 monitor over a ~$400 one, will I have a bad time?

you'll get tearing as soon as you drop below the refresh rate of your monitor. it might not be noticeable if you run at high fps, like 100+ but it may be noticeable as you go lower. it's entirely subjective though, however i know that once you see tearing and when it occurs, you may not be able to unsee it 

G-sync and freesync, or any adaptive sync technology will be able to dynamically change the refresh rate to the fps you're getting in-game. this eliminates tearing and also smooths out some rough spots. buuut you still have to experience it yourself. it would be nifty if there's a shop near you or you have a friend that can let you test drive g-sync. 

meanwhile g-sync also adds ULMB, which is a plus if motion blur is an issue.

what monitors are you looking at?

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

If you have a 60 Hz monitor:

Adaptive V-Sync:

• While framerate is above 60 fps, V-Sync is on, eliminating tearing
  • While framerate is below 60 fps, you have nothing, V-Sync is off and tearing is possible again
  • Can be used on any screen

G-Sync:

• While framerate is above 60 fps, V-Sync is on, eliminating tearing; (Same behavior as when using Adaptive V-Sync; but FastSync may also be chosen instead of normal V-Sync)
  • While framerate is below 60 fps, G-Sync takes over, eliminating tearing in that range
  • Can only be used with G-Sync screen

You also have the option of running G-Sync alone (no V-Sync activation above 60 fps), which will make tearing possible again.

in addition, i find this graphic to be quite informative 

blur-busters_g-sync-range-chart.jpg

Well I'm still deciding between a light gaming build or a higher end one. For the lighter one, Im sure the monitor wont matter a great deal. But for the higher end one, was just looking at a predator or xf240H. Even if I have an nvidia card, the 240H seems like a pretty good monitor for good price. Its 144hz, so I was hoping that higher refresh rate would make it ok that I wouldnt have gsync. But looking at what Glen said, if the parameters shift to 144 with the monitor, then I'd be under and that wouldnt be good? Sorry, I know im all over the place, lol

2 hours ago, Rakso said:

Well I'm still deciding between a light gaming build or a higher end one. For the lighter one, Im sure the monitor wont matter a great deal. But for the higher end one, was just looking at a predator or xf240H. Even if I have an nvidia card, the 240H seems like a pretty good monitor for good price. Its 144hz, so I was hoping that higher refresh rate would make it ok that I wouldnt have gsync. But looking at what Glen said, if the parameters shift to 144 with the monitor, then I'd be under and that wouldnt be good? Sorry, I know im all over the place, lol

i'm not sure what you're talking about with parameter shift. please clarify 

As in, if I took what glen said about the 60hz monitor. and change it to a 144hz. Would all those things he listed still hold true. but with the number "144" replacing all the "60"