Can i get a power supply just for case fans?

TheEndIsNear
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Power supplies will only draw what's required to give the required output. The power supply will have an efficiency rating at different load levels. The idea that the load on the power supply shouldn't be too low is usually due to the efficiency - if you get a 24-pin power connector adapter, you can short both power supplies to turn on at the same time. 

1 minute ago, TheEndIsNear said:

Nope thats not it, that item is to merge several psu into one (i guess?) whereas i want to power things with just only one psu.

Okay...now I'm confused... lol

You can't just run all of the fans and the light strip off of one PSU? What's stopping you doing that?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

You can't just run all of the fans and the light strip off of one PSU? What's stopping you doing that?

because i'm thinking that since a psu is mainly for powering all those power hungry pc components, whether it will have an impact if its powering only small power requirement component. i would say im just ensuring that nothing bad will happen, cause hey i need to purchase a new psu for this.

5 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Oh okay...you're cooling a laptop...

...I wouldn't recommend buying a PSU just for that...there are solutions that already exist for cooling laptops:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=laptop+cooler&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB627GB627&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI09T1r8zTAhVsJ8AKHdmzAjYQ_AUICygC&biw=1858&bih=990

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Just now, GuruMeditationError said:

Oh okay...you're cooling a laptop...

...I wouldn't recommend buying a PSU just for that...there are solutions that already exist for cooling laptops.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=laptop+cooler&rlz=1C1CHWA_enGB627GB627&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI09T1r8zTAhVsJ8AKHdmzAjYQ_AUICygC&biw=1858&bih=990

yeah i know but laptop cooler kinda sucks, and at some point im going to build a pc anyways soo....... i'll get a 500W psu first :P

2 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

yeah i know but laptop cooler kinda sucks, and at some point im going to build a pc anyways soo....... i'll get a 500W psu first :P

If you want to use the PSU for a PC in future you need to get the right power rating etc.

It might be worth getting something more powerful and not worrying about the efficiency...the draw will be so minimal it'll probably be negligible...it'll probably cost more to keep the PSU turned on than it would to run the fans.

4 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

First one doesn't ship to where i live and second one isn't what im looking for

4 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

If you want to use the PSU for a laptop in future you need to get the right power rating etc.

It might be worth getting something more powerful and not worrying about the efficiency...the draw will be so minimal it'll probably be negligible...it'll probably cost more to keep the PSU turned on than it would to run the fans.

worrying about efficiency?? you mean getting a bronze or so and dont care for gold and above or something? i wont go for any high end pc in near future, so on the budget side, i think 500-600w should be ok with what i intend to have.

9 minutes ago, TheEndIsNear said:

First one doesn't ship to where i live and second one isn't what im looking for

worrying about efficiency?? you mean getting a bronze or so and dont care for gold and above or something? i wont go for any high end pc in near future, so on the budget side, i think 500-600w should be ok with what i intend to have.

I mean, worry more about the machine you're going to build with the PSU than whether the PSU will run the case fans efficiently while you're waiting to build the P.C.

Also, buy a good PSU from a reputable manufacturer, cheap PSU's can ruin components and sometimes can even catch fire (do you already know about that?)

44 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

I mean, worry more about the machine you're going to build with the PSU than whether the PSU will run the case fans efficiently while you're waiting to build the P.C.

Also, buy a good PSU from a reputable manufacturer, cheap PSU's can ruin components and sometimes can even catch fire (do you already know about that?)

oh i see, and yes i know that PSU are quite important and how things can go bad with cheap ones