Display Port vs HDMI

jinroh10

Hello all, I have a question...between display port and hdmi which is better for pc gaming?

Display port

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

display port

Damm you.... I wanted to be first  :P

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

And how much of a difference between 1080p (HDMI) and 1080p (DIsplay Port) is there? Any comparison videos? Although right now my screen is 1680x1050 with DVI (I don't know which). Asking because I want a 1440p monitor that has both.

And how much of a difference between 1080p (HDMI) and 1080p (DIsplay Port) is there? Any comparison videos? Although right now my screen is 1680x1050 with DVI (I don't know which). Asking because I want a 1440p monitor that has both.

You really won't see a difference at 1080p but displayport and dual link dvi can carry higher resolutions.

There is no difference but DP has glorious locking connectors and supports a higher resolution. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

There is no difference but DP has glorious locking connectors and supports a higher resolution. 

Yes....This is exactly why DP is better.

So will you see any difference in frame rate, color or picture quality?

So will you see any difference in frame rate, color or picture quality?

Depends, at 1080p on a 60Hz monitor the answer is no. At 4K for example you get higher frame rates with DP than you would with HDMI 1.4

Depends, at 1080p on a 60Hz monitor the answer is no. At 4K for example you get higher frame rates with DP than you would with HDMI 1.4

ok...so what about 120hz or 144hz monitors?

DisplayPort hands down. HDMI should have never made it into the PC ecosystem. The problem was that it too so long for pc's other than business ones to adopt it and people wanted to hook their laptops up to their TVs. Also you cant for get the HTPC croud like me I guess I appreciated a proper HDMI prort on the card somewhat.

I have had several HDMI ports break on me, I will take DP any time I can.

I have had several HDMI ports break on me, I will take DP any time I can.

How like as in what way did they break?

Ok...with all that being said do I use a straight mini displayport or a mini displayport to DVI or to dual link DVI??

Ok...with all that being said do I use a straight mini displayport or a mini displayport to DVI or to dual link DVI??

always use straight display port if you can. Also you going to need a quite expensive active adapter to go to dual link dvi if you need to do so.

How like as in what way did they break?

Plug the cables in and no signal message on screen, and my old monitor I had to stop using HDMI because the screen would go black for a few seconds every now and then

Display port

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715