Comment on my build please! (1300$)

VicRik

Hi guys,

I am new to PC building and this will be my first ever build. One thing to keep in mind is that I will ask for a AIO cooler on my birthday this July so that will be added then. Thanks for your comments and I am looking forward to reading your replies!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xJv9QV

Thanks!

-VicRik

PS: I am not a native English speaker.

Just now, VicRik said:

And why is that if I may ask?

Significantly lower price point, you will not use the features with x370 if you are not going SLI.

Also, full black fits with basically any build.

Just now, Xenift said:

Significantly lower price point, you will not use the features with x370 if you are not going SLI.

Thanks for the input!

Looks good to me, although Xenift does have a few good points up there. If you choose to go with your original plan though, it will be better when the AIO Cooler is added though.

@VicRik

Don't get the MSI boards they are having issues with long post/boot times.

They are right you don't need X370 unless you intend to SLI. But if you are not then consider these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPDzK8/asus-prime-b350-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b350-plus

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4

4 minutes ago, BritishTechGuy said:

Looks good to me, although Xenift does have a few good points up there. If you choose to go with your original plan though, it will be better when the AIO Cooler is added though.

I will ask for an AIO for my birthday, until then I will do little to no overclocking :)

4 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

@VicRik

Don't get the MSI boards they are having issues with long post/boot times.

They are right you don't need X370 unless you intend to SLI. But if you are not then consider these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fPDzK8/asus-prime-b350-plus-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b350-plus

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yBtWGX/asrock-ab350-pro4-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350-pro4

8 minutes ago, Xenift said:

Are there any other significant differences between X370 and B350? 

7 minutes ago, VicRik said:

Are there any other significant differences between X370 and B350? 

Capture.PNG.6fb496f834e96c003652ed6043a7901c.PNG

Is the 1600 even X370? I thought it only has the B350 Chipset.

I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Dr.Fr4nk3n5731n said:

Is the 1600 even X370? I thought it only has the B350 Chipset.

I'd like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

the cpu has nothing to do with the chipset of the board as long as its a am4 board

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

1 minute ago, ciprian97pop said:

the cpu has nothing to do with the chipset of the board as long as its a am4 board

Well then, thank you for clearing this up for me. Much appreciate it.

-oops forgot to quote- See below

1 hour ago, VicRik said:

Hi guys,

I am new to PC building and this will be my first ever build. One thing to keep in mind is that I will ask for a AIO cooler on my birthday this July so that will be added then. Thanks for your comments and I am looking forward to reading your replies!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xJv9QV

Thanks!

-VicRik

PS: I am not a native English speaker.

Hello VicRik,

I noticed that you're location states that you are from The Netherlands. How will you get your parts or have you factored shipping costs into your build or are you going to buy locally?

I have tried to optimise your original build to increase performance, but without understanding local costs, it's not going to end up being of much value. Regardless here is my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kMpcvV / Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kMpcvV/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.55 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($98.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($127.98 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.88 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($513.47 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1296.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 08:43 EDT-0400

So my reasoning is as follows; 

Motherboard: As others have pointed out, an X370 chipset is unnecessary unless using multi-gpu's or XFR. So I have switched the Asus PRIME X370 for the Asus PRIME B350 variant. This particular board is excellent, due to the fact I swapped the SATA SSD for a NVMe SSD and because of the position of the m.2 slot, which is above the PCI-e slots. 

Memory: Slightly faster memory for a little less. 2666Mhz seems to be the sweet spot for price to performance as far as Ryzen is concerned at the moment.

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO. Wicked fast NVMe drive. This is actually a high heat part that will thermal throttle under heavy loads, so it's position above the PCI-e slots (and therefore the GPU) prevent the GPU from unnecessarily causing additional thermal loads and allows for better airflow over the SSD. 

Hitatchi 2TB. Much bigger storage for only slightly more.

Video Card: Swapped the Asus GTX 1080 STRIX card for a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming. At stock speeds the difference between these two cards is negligible. As far as overclocking is concerned Nvidia's current crop of cards appear to be more limited by silicon lottery than board design. As I see it, as long as the cards are quiet and well cooled, the rest is just down to chance to get a nice overclock, and also it's price. 

Power Supply: Swapped the Corsair 650W 80+ Bronze for a Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold. This is a very nice PSU, fully modular and Gold rated. Worth the extra money over the Corsair in my opinion. 

I hope this helps.

31 minutes ago, VanguardScar said:

Hello VicRik,

I noticed that you're location states that you are from The Netherlands. How will you get your parts or have you factored shipping costs into your build or are you going to buy locally?

I have tried to optimise your original build to increase performance, but without understanding local costs, it's not going to end up being of much value. Regardless here is my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kMpcvV / Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kMpcvV/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($217.55 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($127.98 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.88 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($513.47 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1296.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 08:43 EDT-0400

So my reasoning is as follows; 

Motherboard: As others have pointed out, an X370 chipset is unnecessary unless using multi-gpu's or XFR. So I have switched the Asus PRIME X370 for the Asus PRIME B350 variant. This particular board is excellent, due to the fact I swapped the SATA SSD for a NVMe SSD and because of the position of the m.2 slot, which is above the PCI-e slots. 

Memory: Slightly faster memory for a little less. 2666Mhz seems to be the sweet spot for price to performance as far as Ryzen is concerned at the moment.

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO. Wicked fast NVMe drive. This is actually a high heat part that will thermal throttle under heavy loads, so it's position above the PCI-e slots (and therefore the GPU) prevent the GPU from unnecessarily causing additional thermal loads and allows for better airflow over the SSD. 

Hitatchi 2TB. Much bigger storage for only slightly more.

Video Card: Swapped the Asus GTX 1080 STRIX card for a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming. At stock speeds the difference between these two cards is negligible. As far as overclocking is concerned Nvidia's current crop of cards appear to be more limited by silicon lottery than board design. As I see it, as long as the cards are quiet and well cooled, the rest is just down to chance to get a nice overclock, and also it's price. 

Power Supply: Swapped the Corsair 650W 80+ Bronze for a Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold. This is a very nice PSU, fully modular and Gold rated. Worth the extra money over the Corsair in my opinion. 

I hope this helps.

Wow! Thanks! When I get home I'll take a look at the Dutch prices to see what happens. If I understand correctly the certain type of 1080 doesn't matter a whole lot? So if this one happens to be rare here I could get a different one?

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: I had to make some small changes due to availablity. This is what I came up with: https://tweakers.net/gallery/906639/wenslijst/ 

The website is a Dutch price comparing site. One more question, the RAM you listed wasn't found in the QVL list of the MOBO. Would that be a problem? That is also the reason I went with this RAM again. 

23 minutes ago, VicRik said:

Wow! Thanks! When I get home I'll take a look at the Dutch prices to see what happens. If I understand correctly the certain type of 1080 doesn't matter a whole lot? So if this one happens to be rare here I could get a different one?

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, exactly. Your choice of GTX 1080 won't really affect performance. Local availability, (and price) will be your most important factors. Just don't go for one of the rear exhausting/founders editions/ blower type coolers. They tend to be noisy and hot. 

1 hour ago, VicRik said:

EDIT: I had to make some small changes due to availablity. This is what I came up with: https://tweakers.net/gallery/906639/wenslijst/ 

The website is a Dutch price comparing site. One more question, the RAM you listed wasn't found in the QVL list of the MOBO. Would that be a problem? That is also the reason I went with this RAM again. 

There shouldn't be a problem with memory compatibility. The QVL is only a list of RAM Asus has specifically tested. All DDR4 RAM should work. If you want to be assured of compatible RAM then follow the QVL, but it is not necessary as long as you pick standardized DDR4 RAM. 

Edit: Ryzen is a little particular with RAM, while all DDR4 RAM does work, Ryzen prefers RAM made with Single Rank, Samsung B-Die modules. G.Skill's Flare X and some of it's other lines fit this. It's is not necessary but will often yield the best performance, both in latency and speed. 

Looking on Newegg NL, I was able to get the price down to about €1.217,92. I'm not sure how taxation works in The Netherlands, but maybe this is something you wish to consider. 

Untitled.png

33 minutes ago, VanguardScar said:

There shouldn't be a problem with memory compatibility. The QVL is only a list of RAM Asus has specifically tested. All DDR4 RAM should work. If you want to be assured of compatible RAM then follow the QVL, but it is not necessary as long as you pick standardized DDR4 RAM. 

Edit: Ryzen is a little particular with RAM, while all DDR4 RAM does work, Ryzen prefers RAM made with Single Rank, Samsung B-Die modules. G.Skill's Flare X and some of it's other lines fit this. It's is not necessary but will often yield the best performance, both in latency and speed. 

Looking on Newegg NL, I was able to get the price down to about €1.217,92. I'm not sure how taxation works in The Netherlands, but maybe this is something you wish to consider. 

Untitled.png

Did the exact same as you did, came to a grand total of 1442.40€. Shipping was more than 200€. Thanks for the suggestion though!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywCYzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywCYzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($316.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($93.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.78 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card  ($484.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1291.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 11:17 EDT-0400

4 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywCYzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ywCYzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($316.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($93.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.78 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card  ($484.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1291.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-29 11:17 EDT-0400

Ill take a look at this in a second