Should I use Server 2008 instead of Windows 7 Professional?

H0R53
6 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Yeah, server is meant for enterprises, and not for average consumers. But what they mean by "average consumers" is Joe Shmoe who wants Windows so he can play League or Minecraft or some shit. This guy's running a NAS/Business website. Now by no means does that make him an enterprise, but if he really needs the features that come with Server, then I see no reason why he shouldn't get it.

And yeah, normal windows performs better, but that's only on normal desktop benchmarks. I'm sure Server is better for extended use and is more stable, which is a huge factor with servers. You don't want it going down and having your shit wiped out.

Also, @H0R53, on an unrelated side note, do you have a UPS for your server in case it goes down? You might want to invest in one of those before you get a server edition of windows

I have one, yes. Thanks for checking though. It's not the best UPS but it gives me time to finish things properly shut down the NAS in case of a power failure, and it has surge protection and its own dedicated socket.

Just now, H0R53 said:

I have one, yes. Thanks for checking though. It's not the best UPS but it gives me time to finish things properly shut down the NAS in case of a power failure, and it has surge protection and its own dedicated socket.

Alright, good to know. I see too many people spending money on nice servers and getting their shit wiped out when there's a power surge. Also, you said you were running a business website off the server. Out of curiosity, what kind of business? Are you a small business owner and you're using the server for a website?

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Alright, good to know. I see too many people spending money on nice servers and getting their shit wiped out when there's a power surge. Also, you said you were running a business website off the server. Out of curiosity, what kind of business? Are you a small business owner and you're using the server for a website?

Very small business, device repair (PC/laptop/phone) and custom PC sales. I buy used machines and spice them up with newer parts or redo the machine and keep the case.

Exclusively non-apple. It would cost me more to fix an apple machine that I would make fixing it. PC parts are cheap. Apple parts aren't.

I was going to use it for a website but I'm thinking a Facebook page will do. I'm not very good at HTML/CSS. My site looks like a spicy PowerPoint lol

Just now, H0R53 said:

Very small business, device repair (PC/laptop/phone) and custom PC sales. I buy used machines and spice them up with newer parts or redo the machine and keep the case.

Exclusively non-apple. It would cost me more to fix an apple machine that I would make fixing it. PC parts are cheap. Apple parts aren't.

I was going to use it for a website but I'm thinking a Facebook page will do. I'm not very good at HTML/CSS. My site looks like a spicy PowerPoint lol

Dream job right there man. I'm currently working as a chainman on a land surveying crew, and it sucks. Driving stakes in the ground during summer is not so fun. I'd ideally wanna work at a small repair shop like you, or go work for Falcon NW. One day, one day...

And I can see why haha. Apple stuff is a pain in the ass, and is ridiculously expensive to fix.

I don't know shit about HTML or CSS. I couldn't make a website even if I wanted to. And hey, at least it looks like a powerpoint. I tried creating a site once and it was just blank.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

9 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

I don't know shit about HTML or CSS. I couldn't make a website even if I wanted to. And hey, at least it looks like a powerpoint. I tried creating a site once and it was just blank.

I used Microsoft Word and saved it as an HTML document and then did the CSS from there...

3 hours ago, H0R53 said:

I used Microsoft Word and saved it as an HTML document and then did the CSS from there...

Find a local College and see if there is a student that needs a project or wants to do something outside of their course work. A lot of courses require students to do some kind of industry project so it can be a good way to get a nice website made.

Other option which cost money of course is use something like SquareSpace.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Find a local College and see if there is a student that needs a project or wants to do something outside of their course work. A lot of courses require students to do some kind of industry project so it can be a good way to get a nice website made.

Other option which cost money of course is use something like SquareSpace.

I was gonna mention sQueerspace, but the University of Maine isn't too far away.

9 hours ago, H0R53 said:

Damn son

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 hours ago, H0R53 said:

It's better than you think

Still better than what I can do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540