Laptop gpu reducing usage to 20% when at 85°C

So when i play games on my asus x555LJ laptop gpu temps go up into the 80s and i see my gpu usage go to about 20% for a few seconds going from

45fps to 10fps gta5

100fps to 10fps in CS:GO

50fps to 10fps in Saints row 4

*these are the games i played recently with msi afterburner

And after gpu temps are around 80°C and it happens again after reaching 85°C or so.

This stated happening a while ago but it has gotten worse. One solution i had was enabling vsync but i want to have as much fps as possible.

Interestingly when i run furmark gpu is always at 100% usage with a top temp of 90°C.

Is it just time to clean my laptop(but i am still under warranty for 3 months and its somewhat complicated to get to this laptops fan) or are there any software solutions?

My exact laptop specs(not much but pritty good for 370€ i think):

Intel i3-5005u

nvidia gt 920m 2gb

8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

1tb hdd

gaming laptop overheating? poor thermal design, you can set your fan to max speed and hope for the best.

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

gaming laptop overheating? poor thermal design, you can set your fan to max speed and hope for the best.

technically isnt a gaming laptop and i cant set fan to max in speed fan, msi afterburner or even bios while still being quiet at least to me

13 minutes ago, Andy201 said:

So when i play games on my asus x555LJ laptop gpu temps go up into the 80s and i see my gpu usage go to about 20% for a few seconds going from

45fps to 10fps gta5

100fps to 10fps in CS:GO

50fps to 10fps in Saints row 4

*these are the games i played recently with msi afterburner

And after gpu temps are around 80°C and it happens again after reaching 85°C or so.

This stated happening a while ago but it has gotten worse. One solution i had was enabling vsync but i want to have as much fps as possible.

Interestingly when i run furmark gpu is always at 100% usage with a top temp of 90°C.

Is it just time to clean my laptop(but i am still under warranty for 3 months and its somewhat complicated to get to this laptops fan) or are there any software solutions?

My exact laptop specs(not much but pritty good for 370€ i think):

Intel i3-5005u

nvidia gt 920m 2gb

8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

1tb hdd

suffered the same issue with my rog gl551 jm, but was solved by buying this https://www.amazon.com/Opolar-Laptop-Temperature-Display-Cooling/dp/B01E3Q7FS6 - i got around 7 degrees Celsius cooler but it is enough to stop thermal throttling. i also suggest removing dust and replacing the thermal paste.

Your CPU and/or GPU might be thermal throttling.

You can't tweak fan curves in laptops I guess.

But one thing you can do is clean the fan vents, dust accumulated there can interfere a lot with cooling. 

9 minutes ago, Ruwaaid said:

suffered the same issue with my rog gl551 jm, but was solved by buying this https://www.amazon.com/Opolar-Laptop-Temperature-Display-Cooling/dp/B01E3Q7FS6 - i got around 7 degrees Celsius cooler but it is enough to stop thermal throttling. i also suggest removing dust and replacing the thermal paste.

cant use it because thermal output is on the back where the display is but thanks anyway for you're suggestion :)comp.jpg.4e5b142596d5cb76bbf6d668126fdc7b.jpg

1 minute ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

But one thing you can do is clean the fan vents, dust accumulated there can interfere a lot with cooling. 

might do that(have been using this laptop in too dusty places :/) but disassembling is not quite easy as show on this video 

so.. you expected an i3 / GT920m laptop to run games? 

i'll let you into a little secret: this range of laptops REALLY cant deal well with combined cpu/gpu loads, because they both go trough the same heatsink, and usually both go trough the same heatpipe.

this to me sounds that the cpu is thermal throttling (because furmark is not an issue) and causing some really funky performance issues across the board.

Repaste, repad, undervolt. Go. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 minutes ago, Andy201 said:

might do that(have been using this laptop in too dusty places :/) but disassembling is not quite easy as show on this video 

one of the easiest laptop disassemblies i've seen so far :P

7 minutes ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

+1 to you for not screaming "repaste it" all over the thread. its nice to see people talk sense for once :D

Just now, Pendragon said:

Repaste, repad, undercoat. Go. 

get out.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

snip

Well good for you. How do u plan to address the issue. These range of laptops suffer from tdp limitations in addition to thermal issues so repasting to reduce temps and undervolt on the CPU to reduce voltage is the best option. And yes clean ur laptop which is what you should do anyway when you repaste. 

Laptop Main

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so.. you expected an i3 / GT920m laptop to run games? 

i'll let you into a little secret: this range of laptops REALLY cant deal well with combined cpu/gpu loads, because they both go trough the same heatsink, and usually both go trough the same heatpipe.

this to me sounds that the cpu is thermal throttling (because furmark is not an issue) and causing some really funky performance issues across the board.

no actually i put put cpu on stress in cpu-id at the same time just because of that possibility and no same result the only thing different is the temps went from 80 to 87 and have seen usage drop(but no core clock drop) in msi afterburner while "gaming"(its ok for a bit older games, or simpler)

Just now, Pendragon said:

Well good for you. How do u plan to address the issue. These range of laptops suffer from tdp limitations in addition to thermal issues so repasting to reduce temps and undervolt on the CPU to reduce voltage is the best option. And yes clean ur laptop which is what you should do anyway when you repaste. 

but repasting does jack shit for thermals because any semi intelligent brand knows to use good enough paste to where even 10 years into torture the paste is still good.

OP's laptop doesnt support adjusting fan curves so i doubt he'll have any sort of voltage control.

and the bolded bit is why you think repasting actually does anything notable.

how i intend to adress it: tell OP that his laptop simply wont do it because of the way it is designed, and not make him void any kind of warranty he may have with false hope of improving the situation.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

one of the easiest laptop disassemblies i've seen so far :P

been used to open the back there you go theres the fan laptops :)

1 minute ago, Andy201 said:

no actually i put put cpu on stress in cpu-id at the same time just because of that possibility and no same result the only thing different is the temps went from 80 to 87 and have seen usage drop(but no core clock drop) in msi afterburner while "gaming"(its ok for a bit older games, or simpler)

CPU stress test only, or having the GPU under load as well?

Just now, Andy201 said:

been used to open the back there you go theres the fan laptops :)

they are unfortunately few and far in between. my current favourite example being HP elitebooks, but dat price tho xD

Just now, manikyath said:

CPU stress test only, or having the GPU under load as well?

furmark and cpu stress test at the same time

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

they are unfortunately few and far in between. my current favourite example being HP elitebooks, but dat price tho xD

yea my brother has one from 2012 witch still work and there you just unscrew a few screws and you got to the fan and ram :P

Just now, Andy201 said:

furmark and cpu stress test at the same time

try a valley benchmark run, note the score, and then do valley benchmark again with 7zip's benchmark running on one core.

(reason i say valley is because its single threaded, and then you can let 7zip benchmark grab whichever amount of other cores in your system to max that side out as well)

Just now, Andy201 said:

yea my brother has one from 2012 witch still work ant there you just unscrew a few screws and you got to the fan and ram :P

i have an 11 inch HP netbook that has the battery release slider, and when you push it a bit further the laptop just pops open entirely. ram, HDD, cmos battery, and the joke they call a cpu and its cooler :P

14 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but repasting does jack shit for thermals because any semi intelligent brand knows to use good enough paste to where even 10 years into torture the paste is still good.

OP's laptop doesnt support adjusting fan curves so i doubt he'll have any sort of voltage control.

and the bolded bit is why you think repasting actually does anything notable.

Ur actually flat out wrong on every front. Repasting has significant benefit over stock manufacturer shit because stock paste is terrible. Please go do research on the laptop segment. Using high quality pastes like gelid or liquid metal pastes net 10c to 20c improvement. God. You have no idea how laptops work. 

Secondly, every intel CPU support XTU and throttlestop so a quick hop onto either software allows voltages to be adjusted down. Every single CPU intel launches is overvolted to ensure they all operate but they can all be lowered. Skylake often lowered about -150mv and decreases temps by another 10c or so at max load.

You literally have 0 idea wtf your talking about. 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/liquid-metal-showdown-thermal-grizzly-conductonaut-vs-cool-laboratory-liquid-ultra-pro.791489/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/cpu-gpu-temperatures-benchmarks-alienware-17-r4-15-r3.797378/

Literally 40c drops using better paste. Please tell me more about how thermal paste doesn't affect things. 

14 minutes ago, Andy201 said:

snip

Reason why your laptop throttles at 85c is because the laptop firmware specifies it a 85c. Furmark bypasses that which is why you can run at 100% at 90c. Which is why Furmark is fucking terrible and should be never used as it just shoots the laptop with as much voltage as possible and says fuck all to built in limitations. 

Use unigine heaven (it's more demanding and consistent than valley) to stress test it. Occt is a great CPU bench. Use gelid Gc to repaste and throttlestop to undervolt and you can get max load 65c - 70c temps. 

Laptop Main

2 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Ur actually flat out wrong on every front. Repasting has significant benefit over stock manufacturer shit because stock paste is terrible

i did, and i have 3 repasted laptops with the best result being a 5°c difference on a freaking tortured beat up laptop.

you really need to step off your freaking pedestal when you say i have no experience, having quite literally no idea who you're even talking to.

as for using liquid metal on this specific laptop... that is ONE HELL of a waste of money right there man..

also, someone with an alienware laptop having a 40°c difference is about as representative to OP's laptop as telling a guy with a lada niva that changing the tyre profile on your subary STI improved handling greatly.

will probably clean the laptop fan tomorrow with brushes and a compressor that should do the trick?

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

did, and i have 3 repasted laptops with the best result being a 5°c difference on a freaking tortured beat up laptop.

Wow that says way more about the ability of ur repasting than repasting in general. 

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

as for using liquid metal on this specific laptop... that is ONE HELL of a waste of money right there man..

There is a second link using normal paste using TGK. Or you can use gelid Gc.

And you still forget you can undervolt laptops with xtu or throttlestop. 

And since you don't like Alienware. Here. Xps15. I can link a dozen more. 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9550-temperature-observations-undervolt-repaste.785963/

@Andy201undervolt

Laptop Main