How Can I downgrade to FreeNAS 9.10 And Keep Config Files!?

Go to solution Solved by Eniqmatic,

Yes, as you have found out, IX have decided after the project lead leaving that Corral was in too bad a state to call "release" and too much work to get it to what they would be comfortable with calling stable, so have decided to re-focus their efforts on pushing 9.10 into 11. Anyways, won't get into that here.

As for your question, the config files are not compatible with each other. They are in a different format and work completely differently (makes sense since 10 was a complete re-write). You say you "really want to go back to 9.10", this makes me think that you did a migration from 9.10? If so, simply reboot into the 9.10 boot environment and all your settings will be as they are.

If you did a fresh install or deleted the 9.10 environment, then you will need to start your config from a fresh which realistically will only take you around 10 minutes to half an hour depending on what you were doing so no big deal. You can do a fresh 9.10 install without any loss to data, you will just need to import your volume.

Title says it all! But after loving freenas 10 corral I realized when i turned on the display there were about 10-20 update error (no response from update server!) so I wanted to do a manual update. So i went to their download page and soon realized all freenas 10 related things were gone!? So here i am with an deprecated version of freenas all confused so like any ordinary person i did my research and realized that there was already a beta for freenas 11 and that freenas 10 was deprecated! I'm obviously not gonna run a beta version on my server so i needed to downgrade. first i booted up my server save the config file to my desktop and installed freenas 9.10 and first thing i did was upload the config file and i got a message saying it was unreadable or something like that. so then i reinstalled freenas 10 and uploaded the config file successfully and then i reinstalled freenas 9.10 again so i would act as an upgrade and keep settings, well of course that didnt work i just got a bunch of I/O errors followed by even more errors! So again I reinstalled freenas 10 and loaded config file again. Now that i got it running at least kind of I need your guys's help!

Spoiler

now im pissed!

So i really want to go back to 9.10 and simply load my backup config file but somethings not allowing me to do so! Do you guys know of any way to do this? Help is appreciated thanks! I am not posting on the freenas forums because some of then are just complete a holes!

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sQMvkT

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200

GTX 1070 Founders Edition ASUS

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2

Speed Link LEDOS RED (keeping it German!)

Some BOSE speakers.

VM Audio 1200 Watt Subwoofer Hooked up to Corsair CX750M

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Yes, as you have found out, IX have decided after the project lead leaving that Corral was in too bad a state to call "release" and too much work to get it to what they would be comfortable with calling stable, so have decided to re-focus their efforts on pushing 9.10 into 11. Anyways, won't get into that here.

As for your question, the config files are not compatible with each other. They are in a different format and work completely differently (makes sense since 10 was a complete re-write). You say you "really want to go back to 9.10", this makes me think that you did a migration from 9.10? If so, simply reboot into the 9.10 boot environment and all your settings will be as they are.

If you did a fresh install or deleted the 9.10 environment, then you will need to start your config from a fresh which realistically will only take you around 10 minutes to half an hour depending on what you were doing so no big deal. You can do a fresh 9.10 install without any loss to data, you will just need to import your volume.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

3 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

alright thanks! that really sucks! will i loose my data re-creating the raid arrays? or should it detect them automatically? 

Professional Dirtbike/ATV racer and freestyler. Snowmobiling in Upper Michigan keeps me busy in the winter. I also do a lot of networking and server work,  also a huge (not fat) gamer! Specs Below!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Just now, aedan929 said:

alright thanks! that really sucks! will i loose my data re-creating the raid arrays? or should it detect them automatically? 

No, no data will be lost at all. If you re-install the USB stick, when it comes up use the "Import volume" button and it will automatically detect your volumes as they were before. That part is totally safe. Just do not press anything you are not sure of, ask first.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

1 minute ago, Eniqmatic said:

No, no data will be lost at all. If you re-install the USB stick, when it comes up use the "Import volume" button and it will automatically detect your volumes as they were before. That part is totally safe. Just do not press anything you are not sure of, ask first.

alright cool! the thing that sucks is that if this server is off line all my other ones are! So wish me good luck! have a great day!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

1 minute ago, aedan929 said:

alright cool! the thing that sucks is that if this server is off line all my other ones are! So wish me good luck! have a great day!

Shouldn't take you long at all!

Once you've finished and are happy, be sure to mark the thread as answered!

Just now, Eniqmatic said:

Shouldn't take you long at all!

Once you've finished and are happy, be sure to mark the thread as answered!

yes of course!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

Sweet! first thing i got asked was to re-assign the volumes! So indeed it did keep my raid! Thanks so much!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional

people on this forum are the best! most helpful, kind, and understanding!

AMD RYZEN 7 1700

ASUS Prime B350 Plus

Corsair 400Q Carbide

Corsair Force MP500

Corsair RX750M

Corsair H150i Pro

Some BOSE speakers.

Dell S2715H

AOC Q2781PQ

Epson S11 Lite

Windows 10 Professional