Computer Science or Internet of Things?

Adam_Cr1

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at studying at university next year and I did have my heart fixed on Computer Science but there is a new degree that has just been introduced for the first time this year called Internet of Things.

Internet of Things, in case you didn't already know is studying how every device can connect to the internet. For example - your kettle might be linked to the internet and when you walk through the door, a camera can detect your face and know that you will want a cup of tea when you walk in and so will turn on the kettle.

What do you think about job opportunities in the future with this degree?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k  GPU: Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC

You can start Skynet with that new degree.....

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

You can start Skynet with that new degree.....

Yeah. Hack someones house to override the locking system on their house.

The kettle doesn't need to be connected to the internet to do that, just saying lol

The kettle doesn't need to be connected to the internet to do that, just saying lol

It would have to be networked in some way whether that be via a power socket or the actual kettle

I think CS woulb be the better choice, unless I know the contents of the other programm (and not just the fancy name)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

It would have to be networked in some way whether that be via a power socket or the actual kettle

Why? The kettle can just access local memory on a small flash card. If it's got a camera it can have memory to store faces on for comparison.

I think CS woulb be the better choice, unless I know the contents of the other programm (and not just the fancy name)

The thing is - as Slick said, he got a computer science degree and because it isn't as specialized as other degrees, he struggled to find a job that paid as well as other degrees.

The thing is - as Slick said, he got a computer science degree and because it isn't as specialized as other degrees, he struggled to find a job that paid as well as other degrees.

I don't think he has finished yet ?!

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I don't know anybody with a computer science (or other IT related degree) who got a job related to the field they studied - it doesn't seem particularly helpful in the UK at least. At best computer science looks good on a CV for other employment; "Internet of Things" just sounds stupid tbh.

Why? The kettle can just access local memory on a small flash card. If it's got a camera it can have memory to store faces on for comparison.

No, the camera would be at the door. It might do other things like change the temperature of the house depending on what your personal preferences.

If the camera was on the kettle, you would have to be in line of sight with the camera for it to turn on.

I don't know anybody with a computer science (or other IT related degree) who got a job related to the field they studied - it doesn't seem particularly helpful in the UK at least. At best computer science looks good on a CV for other employment; "Internet of Things" just sounds stupid tbh.

I agree about the name. It does sound a little strange.

No, the camera would be at the door. It might do other things like change the temperature of the house depending on what your personal preferences.

If the camera was on the kettle, you would have to be in line of sight with the camera for it to turn on.

Either way, there's really no need for internet connectivity. Local network at most.

Either way, there's really no need for internet connectivity. Local network at most.

It would be local network for that but other devices like the ability to unlock the door would be useful over the internet.

I'm not a computer scientist but I am a logical-mathematical thinker and learner by nature, and I know it's only fat cats in suits that are afraid of the internet that think this is a good idea.

I want my kettle to be my kettle and my PC to be my PC.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I wish you luck explaining to HR your degree in "Internet of Things"

Computer Science / Software Engineer can do what you mentioned in "Internet of Things".

Internet of Things things great if you want to be an owner of a business in home automation system, or seek from something that will appear like a certification, because that is how HR will see it... if anything.

It's like media studies at the moment; mostly unrecognised. I scoured the internet for 10 minuted, only found 3 employers that like it. As opposed to computer science, where most programming employers/IT firms love.

Compatible with Windows 95

They do have a partnership with HP though so you basically walk into a job from them but I don't know the progression from then.

I think you'll find a computer science degree would come in handy applying for a software developers job

They do have a partnership with HP though so you basically walk into a job from them but I don't know the progression from then.

Here is the problem. You'll spend 3-4 years doing your degree and cross your finger that HP is still interested in such position.

Then you'll need 5+ years inside to bringing meaning to the degree, and then what? Not recognized anywhere.. see if it was: Computer Science: Automated System Option (just an example of a made up option), then this is great!

You have Computer Science, which you could just mention this on your resumer, and if you want to mention the Option.. then it's just an option.. meaning you have all the grounds and everything related to Computer Science, and you have a focus on embed and automated systems, which is even better, as embded system would mean that you know in greater details on how a computer works, you know how to read through CPU and its architecture documentation, to programs things more efficiently and do things better, which opens you doors in programing P.O.S system, mobile devices, and a lot more.

Also, what's the wage at HP, for this specific job? If it's lower than Computer Science, then it's not worth it. And if it's higher... what's the max? and how does it compare with Computer Science.

Computer Science is not much of a problem if you:

-> Know your stuff very well, including Java, C/C++, Data structures, Operating Systems and Networking.

-> You have personal projects outside of school, which demonstrate your interest in software development, and creativity. OR your participation to competitions OR open source projects

Stay away from new fangled degree's, as you'll spend most of your time explaining what it is to people and that is not a good thing when you out looking for a job. The degree name "Internet of Things" sounds like something you go to at the local tech fair/museum to see pictures of things that make up the internet. That university needs to fix it as if you dropped your resume with that that on it it will be passed around with the phrase, "you won't believe this".

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.